Interested students gain early exposure to the capital markets industry in the Investment Management Workshop, directed by Kenneth Weakley. The workshop prepares students for the competitive recruitment process for jobs in security research and sales as well as trading positions.
Workshop Application and Admission
Sophomores in their fall semester (applications close late September). The deadline is September 24, 2021.
- Passionate about the markets
- Strong academic record
- Knowledge of basic market concepts and current events
- Extracurricular involvement on campus
The only prerequisite is a passion for the markets. Apart from that, we evaluate the candidates holistically and take all aspects into consideration. For example, we do not have a GPA cutoff.
- 9/14 Applications open
- 9/23 Applications close
- 9/29 & 9/30 First Round Interviews
- 10/6 & 10/7 Second Round Interviews - Week 1
- 10/21 Second Round Interviews - Week 2
- 10/26, 10/27 & 10/28 Third Round Interviews
- 11/1 Final Decisions are released
Decisions will be communicated on November 1.
The Application Link is currently unavailable, and becomes active based on the timeline mentioned.
- BUS-F 100: Introduction to Financial and Real Estate Careers (3 credits); first-year
- BUS-F 212: Knall-Cohen Fund (1.5 credits); fall of second year
- BUS-F 312: Investment Management Workshop I (1.5 credits), spring of second year
- BUS-F 412: Investment Management Workshop II (1.5 credits), third or fourth year
Workshop Time Commitment
- 1.5 credit, eight-week class in spring of sophomore year, with a focus on fundamental equity analysis, relative valuation, macroeconomics, and stock-picking
- Supplementary sessions with leadership team. Topics will include but will not be limited to professionalism, networking, and technical concepts such as monetary policy, bonds, currencies, commodities, securitized products, options, and other derivative financial instruments.
- Networking trips to New York and Chicago in spring of sophomore year
- Training the Street session on financial modeling and valuation
- Research, sales and trading, private wealth management, and asset management panels
- A junior and senior mentor to advise the recruiting process and conduct mock interviews
- Weekly speaker series