The Kelley School of Business is a leader in the use of information technology. Classes are delivered in modern facilities, and more than 750 computer connections outside the classroom keep you charged and connected. Extensive use of a computer will be required during the MSIS program.
MSIS students are required to bring a capable laptop computer. You will need to install software on your laptop for use in various classes. Access to required software will be provided through IUWare or by your instructor. You’ll use the laptop to complete hands-on exercises using enterprise and analytics applications as well as development environments, run virtual machines and containers, download and complete assignments, take quizzes and exams, work on team projects, and communicate with your professors and peers. Your computer must meet or exceed the specifications below.
Minimum computer requirements for MSIS students:
- Windows PC with a current or previous generation processor—Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 or better. Laptops more than 2 years or 2 CPU/processor generations old are not acceptable.
- 256 GB SSD hard drive. 512 GB preferred.
- 16 GBs or more of RAM.
- 13” or larger display with 1920 x 1080 pixels or higher resolution. Touch screen recommended. Lower resolution screens are not acceptable.
- Ethernet port or USB Ethernet adapter (required for connecting to classroom network port).
- 802.11ac (WiFi 5) or 802.11ax (WiFi 6) required.
- Windows 10 Education or Enterprise. Windows 10 Education is available through IUWare at no cost to students. Earlier versions of Windows as well as Windows 10 Home or S editions are not acceptable and will need to be upgraded.
- 128 GB (or larger) USB flash drive recommended for local data backup.
- Noise cancelling headset with microphone.
It is best to buy a computer with no preinstalled software. IU licenses most of the software you will need, and it is made available to you free through IUWare. Some pre-installed software may conflict or interfere with required applications.
It is recommended that you store all your data in the cloud. IU provides unlimited cloud storage through a partnership with Microsoft OneDrive. Additional details are available here. OneDrive integrates with Microsoft Office and is the preferred cloud storage provider for the program.
A current generation MacBook Pro may be used subject to the following requirements and limitations. If you already own a capable Mac (with the same CPU/RAM/SSD/Display resolution as the PC specifications above or better), you must use Bootcamp to install Windows 10x64. Instructions are available here. Some of the software that is required for use in class will not run on Macs or Mac versions of software may have compatibility issues with instructional materials. Some of the required software is available on IUanyWare, but keep in mind that not all required software (or current versions) may be available in the virtualized environment. Please note that you may be required to use the labs on campus, and you may not be able to follow along in class if the software required is incompatible with Macs.
If you are looking to purchase a new computer, please check out the IU Hardware deals page. Please note the recommended minimum hardware above when making a purchase. In addition to the deals listed on the page, major vendors provide students discounts through the education sales portal on their website.