The Kelley School of Business is a leader in the use of information technology. Classes are delivered in modern facilities, and more than 750 computer connections outside the classroom keep you charged and connected. Extensive use of a computer will be required during the MSIS program.
MSIS students are required to bring a laptop computer. You will need to install software on your laptop for use in various classes. Access to required software will be provided through IUWare or by your instructor. You’ll use the laptop to complete hands-on exercises, download and complete assignments, take quizzes and exams, work on team projects, and communicate with your professors and peers.
Minimum computer requirements for MSIS students:
- Any current processor, Core i5 or better. Laptops more than 2 years/generations old are not acceptable.
- 256 GB (or larger) SSD hard drive
- 8 GBs or more of RAM (16 GB preferred)
- 13” or larger display with 1920 x 1080 pixels or higher resolution. Touch screen recommended.
- Ethernet port or USB Ethernet adapter
- 802.11ac wireless
- Windows 10 Education or Enterprise. Earlier versions of Windows as well as Home/S editions are not acceptable and will need to be upgraded. Windows 10 Education is available through IUWare at no cost to students.
- 32 GB (or larger) USB flash drive recommended for data backup
It is best to buy a computer with no preinstalled software. IU licenses most of the software you will need, and it is made available to you free through IUWare.
It is recommended that you store all your data in the cloud. IU provides unlimited cloud storage through a partnership with Box. Additional details are available here.
Regarding Macs, a current generation MacBook may be used with certain limitations. If you already own a capable Mac, it is highly recommended that you use Bootcamp to install Windows 10x64. Instructions are available here. Some of the software that is required for use in class may not run on Macs or Mac versions of software may have compatibility issues with instructional materials. Some of the required software is available on IUAnyware, but not all required software may be available in the virtualized environment.
If you are looking to purchase a new computer, please check out the IU Hardware deals page. Please note the recommended minimum hardware above when making a purchase. In addition to the deals listed on the page, major vendors provide students discounts through the education sales portal on their website.