Ever wanted to know how to protect intellectual property? Or how to analyze a contract? Or how to build an ethical culture in a company? The Department of Business Law & Ethics provides many opportunities for students to study these questions and other current legal and ethical issues and trends affecting business and society. As one of the largest departments of our kind, we are able to offer you a broad range of upper-level undergraduate business law courses you won’t see elsewhere.
Any IU undergraduate can take advantage of our offerings and Kelley undergraduate students, in particular, can take advantage of our unique Law, Ethics & Decision-Making co-major, which was carefully designed to complement any Kelley major.
Law, Ethics, and Decision-Making (LEAD) Co-Major
Someone who lacks knowledge of the fundamental principles of business law and ethics lacks a fundamental knowledge of business. The law influences every transaction and interaction in the business world; therefore, learning about law is essential. The Law, Ethics, and Decision-Making (LEAD) co-major can make you a better decision maker with greater awareness of the global legal environment of business and the ethical dimensions of business decisions.
The LEAD co-major is taught by some of the top scholars in the fields of business law and ethics. Our faculty will challenge you and assist you in improving your skills in critical thinking, writing, advocacy, and dispute resolution. These skills can and will distinguish you from your peers and help you excel in your chosen career or graduate course of study.
The co-major requires 12 credit hours to complete. See co-major requirements for more specific information.
For instructions on how to register for courses, see the Student Registration section of the Office of the Registrar website. You can check your registration and appointment date and time through One.IU.
- L100: Personal Law
- L201: Legal Environment of Business
- L271: Global Business Analysis
- L272: Global Business Immersion
- L293: Honors: Legal Environment of Business
- L302: Sustainability Law & Policy
- L304: Critical Thinking, Decision-Making, and Advocacy
- L305: Business Planning and Corporate Law
- L310: Law of Personal Financial Planning
- L311: Law for Entrepreneurs
- L312: The Ethical Responsibilities of Business
- L314: International Business Law
- L315: The Business and Law of Entertainment and Sports
- L333: Negotiation, Resolving Conflict, and Leading Change
- L355: Topics in Business Law: Law, Ethics & Professional Responsibility in the Financial Markets
- L356: Intellectual Property Law & Strategy in a Global Environment
- L360: Topics in Business Ethics
- L375: Ethics and the 21st Century Business Leader
- L376: Ethics and the 21st Century Business Leader: Honors
- L406: Employment Problems and the Law
- L408: Real Estate Law
- L413: Applied Dispute Resolution
- M429: Legal Aspects of Marketing
Not a Kelley student?
Our courses are essential elements of other degree programs around campus, including:
- L201 Legal Environment of Business, required for students in the College of Arts and Sciences Liberal Arts and Management Program (LAMP)
For more information, visit the Kelley School of Business Undergraduate Program.