Areas of Expertise
Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Education, Entrepreneurship in Higher Education, Women Entrepreneurs, Women Business Students, Gender in Entrepreneurship
- PhD, University of Missouri, 2017
- MA, Drury University, 2006
- BA, Drury University, 2004
- Director of Entrepreneurship Initiatives, University of Missouri System
- Interim Director, Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Missouri
- Assistant Director and Special Instructor, Edward Jones Center for Entrepreneurship, Drury University
- Founder and Consultant, Pomegranate Enterprises
- Proprietor and Founder, Treehouse Treasures
- Director of Special Events and Promotions, Pyramid Foods, Springfield, Missouri
- Administrative Coordinator, Entrepreneurship Empowerment in South Africa Program, Cape Town, South Africa
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Best Paper Award, DSEF Papers at USASBE, Direct Selling Education Foundation, 2020
- Doctoral Dissertation Award, Association for Research in Business Education, 2019
- 20 Under 40 Honoree, Columbia Business Times, 2019
- Emerging Scholar Award, USASBE Minority & Women Entrepreneurship SIG, 2019
- Graduate Certificate in Online Education, University of Missouri, 2018
- Schulze Publication Award, Entrepreneur and Innovation Exchange, 2018
- Fellow, Direct Selling Education Foundation, 2018
- Barbara K Townsend Memorial Dissertation Award, University of Missouri, 2015
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow, United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, 2015
- Finalist, Young Professional of the Year, The Network for Springfield’s Young Professionals, 2013
- Certified Diversity Professional, Diversity Training University International, 2010
- Cochran, S. L. (2021). Donning their capes: Women entrepreneurship students emerge as superwomen. In C. Mathews, S. Santos, and E. Liguori (Eds.) Annals of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy 2021. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Cochran, S. L. (2021). Direct selling as a path to business ownership: Molly’s Mary Kay journey. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 4(3), 515-526.
- Cochran, S. L. (2020). Students need entrepreneurship courses now more than ever. Entrepreneurship and Innovation Exchange.
- Cochran, S. L. (2019). What’s gender got to do with it? The experiences of U.S. women entrepreneurship students. Journal of Small Business Management, 57(S1), 111-129.
- Cochran, S. L. (2019). Women in higher education. In V. Crittenden (Ed.), Go-to-market strategies for women entrepreneurs: Creating and exploring success. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Cochran, S.L. (2017). Every College Student Should Take a Course in Entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and Innovation Exchange.
- Cochran, S. L. (2016). A Unique Student Angel Investing Fund. In M. H. Morris & E. Liguori (Eds). Annals of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
Edited on November 9, 2020