Areas of Expertise
Advertising, Social Media, Online Word-of-Mouth, Political Marketing
- Ph.D., Marketing, Emory University, 2016
- B.B.A., Business and Studio Art, Millsaps College, 2010
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2016-present
- Senior Political Consulting Associate and New Media Director, Chism Strategies, Jackson, MS and Washington, D.C., 2009-2011
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty Fellow, Indiana University, 2021
- Harry C. Sauvain Undergraduate Teaching Award, Indiana University, Nominee, 2020
- Early-Career Faculty Consortium Fellow, Marketing Strategy Consortium, Indiana University, 2019
- John D. C. Little Award, Finalist, 2018 ( Awarded annually for the best marketing paper published in an INFORMS journal)
- MSI Research Grant, 2018
- Trustee Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Winner
- MSI Research Grant, 2016
- Goizueta Business School Doctoral Fellowship, Emory University, 2011-2016
- MSI Alden G. Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition, 2015
- ISMS Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition Award, 2015
- ISMS Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Johns Hopkins University, 2015
- AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Northwestern University, 2014
- ISMS Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Emory University, 2014
- Sheth Fellowship, Emory University, 2014
- Else School of Management Scholar, Academic Scholarship, Millsaps College, 2009-2010
- Presidential Scholar, Millsaps College, 2006-2010
- ESPN The Magazine All-American Academic Team, NCAA Tennis, Millsaps College, 2008
- Fossen, B., Mallapragada, G., and De, A. (2021). Impact of Political Television Advertisements on Viewers’ Response to Subsequent Advertisements. Marketing Science, 40(2), 193-394.
- Fossen, B., and Bleier, A. (2021). Online Program Engagement and Viewer Retention during Television Ads. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 49, 743-761.
- Fossen, B. L., and Schweidel, D. A. (2019). Measuring the Impact of Product Placement with Brand-related Social Media Conversations and Website Traffic. Marketing Science, 38(3), 481-499.
- Fossen, B. L., and Schweidel, D. A. (2019). Social TV, Advertising, and Sales: Are Social Shows Good for Advertisers? Marketing Science, 38(2), 274-295.
- Fossen, B. L., and Schweidel, D. A. (2017). Television Advertising and Online Word-of-Mouth: An Empirical Investigation of Social TV Activity. Marketing Science, 36(1), 105-123.
- Fossen, B. L., Andrews, M., and Schweidel, D. A. (2017). Sociodemographic versus Geographic Proximity in the Diffusion of Online Conversations. Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 2(2), 246-266.
Edited on March 24, 2021