Areas of Expertise
Social Media in Healthcare, Social Media in Humanitarian Operations, Social Networks and Large-Scale Data Analysis, Business Analytics and Data-driven Decision Making
- Ph.D. Information Systems, University of Washington, 2012
- M.S.B.A. Information Systems, University of Washington, 2012
- M.S. Computer Science, San Diego State University, 2005
- Indiana University, 2012-present
- Associate Editor at Information Systems Research, 2021-present
- Senior Editor at Production and Operations Management, 2019-present
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management (IEEE-TEM), 2016-present
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Management Information Systems, 2014-present
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Sandra A. Slaughter Early Career Award, INFORMS Information Systems Society 2020
- Young Researcher Best Paper Award Runner-up, the 9th Conference on Health IT and Analytics (CHITA), 2018
- Nominated for Indiana University Outstanding Junior Faculty Awards, 2018
- ODT Faculty Scholar Award, Indiana University, 2017
- Best Student Paper Award Runner-up, the 8th Conference on Health IT and Analytics, 2017
- Best Paper Award Runner-up, Humanitarian Operations & Crisis Management Track, POMS 2016
- Young Researcher Award, Workshop on Economics of Healthcare IT, 2012
- Bertauche Endowed Fellowship Dissertation Funding, University of Washington, 2010 – 2011
- Best Paper Nomination, Conference on Information Systems and Technology, 2011
- Best Student Paper Nomination, Conference on Information Systems and Technology, 2011
- Best Paper Nomination, Conference on Information Systems and Technology 2010
- Global Business Center's Summer Doctoral Fellowship University of Washington, 2010
- International Conference on Information Systems Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2010
- Zhou, T., Yan, L., Wang, Y., and Tan, Y. (2021). Turn Your Online Engagement in Chronic Disease Management from Zero to Hero: A Multi-Dimensional Continuous-Time Evaluation. Management Science, accepted.
- Yan, L. (2020). The Kindness of Commenters: An Empirical Study of the Effectiveness of Perceived and Received Support for Weight-Loss Outcomes. Production and Operations Management, 29(6), 1448-1466.
- Cheng, X., Zhang, J. and Yan, L. (2020). Understanding the Impact of Individual Users’ Rating Characteristics on Predictive Accuracy of Recommender Systems. INFORMS Journal on Computing, 32(2), 303-320.
- Wang, L., Yan, L., Zhou, T., Guo, X., and Heim, G. (2020). Understanding Physicians’ Online-Offline Behavior Dynamics: An Empirical Study. Information Systems Research, 31(2), 537-555.
- Yan, L., Yan, X., Tan, Y., and Sun, S. (2019). Shared Minds: How Patients Use Collaborative Information Sharing via Social Media Platforms. Production and Operations Management, 28(1), 9-26.
- Yan, L., and Pedraza-Martinez, A. J. (2019). Social Media for Disaster Management: Operational Value of the Social Conversation. Production and Operations Management, 28(10), 2514–2532.
- Yan, L. (2018). Good Intentions, Bad Outcomes: The Effect of Mismatches in Social Support and Health Outcomes in an Online Weight Loss Community. Production and Operations Management, 27(1), 9-27 (Lead Article).
- Stauffer, J., Pedraza-Martinez, A. J., Yan, L., and Van Wassenhove, L.N. (2018). Asset Supply Networks in Humanitarian Operations: A Combined Empirical-Simulation Approach. Journal of Operations Management, 63, 44-58.
- Yan, L., and Tan, Y. (2017). The Consensus Effect in Online Healthcare Communities. Journal of Management Information Systems, 34(1), 11-39 (Lead Article).
- Yan, L., Peng, J. P., and Tan, Y. (2015). Network Dynamics: How Can We Find Patients Like Us? Information Systems Research, 26(3), 496-512.
- Yan, L., and Tan, Y. (2014). Feeling Blue? Go Online: An Empirical Study of Online Supports among Patients. Information Systems Research, 25(4), 690-709.
Edited on May 12, 2021