Areas of Expertise
Data Modeling, Heterogeneous Databases, Virtual Teams and Groupware, Usability in Mobile Systems, Software Engineering, Database Design
- PhD, Business Administration, University of Arizona, 1995
- MS, Computer Science, University of Iowa, 1993
- BE, Computer Science, Birla Institute of Technology, 1987
- Professor, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2014 - present
- Associate Professor, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2003–2014
- Assistant Professor, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 1997–2003
- Assistant Professor, Department of Information Systems, University of Maryland (UMBC), 1995–1997
- Instructor, Department of Information Systems, University of Maryland (UMBC), 1994–1995
- Software Engineer, Brilliant Tutorials, Bangalore, India, 1987–1988
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- ITIL v2 Manager's Certificate, 2010
- IT Service Management Forum (itSMF) USA, Industry Knowledge Contribution Award, 2007
- SBC Fellowship 2004
- Innovative Teaching Award 2003–2004
- MSIS Teaching Excellence Award 2003
- MSIS Teaching Excellence Award 2002
- Indiana University Teaching Excellence Recognition Award (TERA) 2000
- CIS Club President’s Pick Award, 2000
- 1997 to 2003 Dean’s Teaching Citations (7)
- Best Paper Nomination. 1995 Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS-28)
- Selected for the 1993 Doctoral Student Consortium of the Decision Sciences Institute
- Summer Research (Dissertation) Support Fund, University of Arizona, 1992
- Sengupta, A., and Venkataraman, R. (2011). DocBase-Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Document Database for XML. Journal of Database Management, 22(4), 30-56.
- Hoffer, J., Venkataraman, R., and Topi H. (2010), Modern Database Management (10th Edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson-Prentice Hall.
- Conger, S., Venkataraman, R., Hernandez, A., and Probst, J. (2009). Market Potential for ITSM Graduates: A Survey. Informations Systems Management, 26(2), 176-181.
- Sengupta, A., and Venkataraman, R. (2009). Designing Document SQL (DSQL)- an Accessible Yet Comprehensive Ad-hoc Querying Frontend for XQuery. Journal of Database Management, 20(4), 26-53.
- Glass, R. L., Vessey, I., and Venkataraman, R. (2009). RESRES: The story behind the paper ‘Research in software engineering: An analysis of the literature. Information & Software Technology, 51(1), 68-70.
- Venkatesh, V., and Venkataraman, R. (2006). Web and Wireless Site Usability: Understanding Differences and Modeling Use. MIS Quarterly, 30(1), 181-206.
- Massey, A., Venkataraman, R., and Khatri, V. (2006). Design, Development and Assessment of Mobile Applications: The Case for Problem-Based Learning. IEEE Transactions on Education, 49(2), 183-192.
- Khatri, V., Vessey, I., Ram, S., and Venkataraman, R. (2006). Cognitive Fit between Conceptual Models and Internal Problem Representations: The Case of Geospatio-Temporal Conceptual Schema Comprehension. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 49(2), 109-127.
Edited on January 4, 2021