Areas of Expertise
Venture strategy, launch and growth; Entrepreneurial ecosystems; Competitive and corporate strategy; Corporate image and reputation; Factors affecting alliance and acquisition success
- PhD, Indiana University, 1995
- BA, University of Virginia, 1985
- Visiting Associate Professor, Queensland University, Brisbane, Australia
- Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Director, Project Manager, Strategic Analysis, Inc.
- Group Manager, Project Director and Business Analyst, Markowitz & McNaughton, Inc.
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Multiple teaching awards including the Eli Lilly Teaching Award, Trustees Teaching Award, Best Professor in MBA Program
- Best paper awards for research
- Editorial Review Boards: Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management
- Saxton, T., Wesley, C., and Saxton, M. K. (2016). Uncertainty and Social Exchange Theory: Venture Advocate Behaviors and the Emerging Enterprise. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 10(1), 107-125.
- Saxton, T. (2014). Finding opportunity in chaos: Strategic lessons for the embattled healthcare administrator. Hospital and Health Networks.
- Saxton, M. K., and Saxton, T. (2010). Venture Launch and Growth as a Status-Building Process. In Jone L.Pearce (Ed.), Status in Management and Organizations (191-211). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Saxton, M. K., Saxton, T., Steen, J., and Verreynne, M. L. (2010). Failure To Launch: Resource Logic for Early Venture Failure. Prometheus, Critical Studies in Innovation, 28(1), 15-27.
- Monsen, E., Patzelt, H., and Saxton, T. (2010). Beyond simple utility: Incentive design and tradeoffs for corporate employee-entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 34(1), 105-130.
- Lyles, M. A., Saxton, T., and Watson K. (2004). Venture survival in a transitional economy. Journal of Management, 30(3), 351-375.
- Saxton, T. and Dollinger, M. (2004). Target reputation and appropriability: Picking and deploying resources in acquisitions. Journal of Management, 30(1), 123-147.
- Saxton, T. (1997). The effects of partner and relationship characteristics on alliance outcomes. Academy of Management Journal, 40(2), 443-461.
- Dollinger, M., Golden, P., and Saxton, T. (1997). The effects of reputation on the decision to joint venture. Strategic Management Journal, 18(2), 127-140.
Edited on March 21, 2018