Areas of Expertise
Strategy and entrepreneurship; design sprints and innovation; resourcefulness and resilience to adversity; community-embedded venture emergence
- PhD, Indiana University
- Master of Business, Indiana University
- MS-Strategy/OBHR—Krannert School of Management, Purdue University
- BA - English and Philosophy, Brigham Young University
- Management Consultant, PwC Consulting
- Management Consultant, Deloitte Consulting
- Internet Marketing Consultant, 10XMarketing
- Brand Management Marketing Consultant, StoneMantel Consulting
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- 2021 Named among the “40 Most Outstanding B-School Profs under 40 in the World” by Poets and Quants
- Emerging Scholar Award—Entrepreneurship Division of the Academy of Management (2019)
- Responsible Research in Management 2019 IACMR Presidential Award Winner
- Responsible Research in Management 2018 IACMR Presidential Award Finalist
- 2018 Kelley School of Business Eyster Teaching Award
- Responsible Research in Management 2017 Inaugural IACMR Presidential Award
- Kamprad Foundation grant (IKEA group) (Sweden)
- Handelsbanken Research Foundations grant (Sweden)
- IU Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) research grant
- IU Kelley School Center for Business of Life Sciences (CBLS) research grant
- Recipient, Panschar Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business (2013-2014)
- Williams, T.A., Zhao, E. Y., George, G., Sonenshein, S., and Ucbasaran, D. (2021). Breaking boundaries to creatively generate value: The role of resourcefulness in entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing, 36(5), 106141.
- Williams, T.A. and Shepherd, D.A. (2021). Bounding and Binding: Trajectories of Community-Organization Emergence Following a Major Disruption. Organization Science, 32(3), 527-908.
- Willaims, T., and Murphy, C. (2021). Ruminating on What You Think of Me: A Grounded Model of Construed Image Work. Academy of Management Journal, in press.
- Shepherd, D.A., Parida, V., Williams, T.A., and Wincent, J. (2021). Organizing the exploitation of vulnerable people: A qualitative assessment of human trafficking. Journal of Management, in press.
- Ahmed, A., Ucbasaran, D., Cacciotti, G. and Williams, T. (2021). Integrating psychological resilience, stress and coping in entrepreneurship: A systematic review and research agenda. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, in press.
- Williams, T. A., Thorgren, S., and Lindh, I. (2020). Rising from failure, staying down, or more of the same? An inductive study of entrepreneurial reentry. Academy of Management Discoveries, 6(4), 631–662.
- Bacq, S., Geoghegan, W., Josefy, M., Stevenson, R., and Williams, T.A. (2020). The COVID-19 Virtual Idea Blitz: Marshaling Social Entrepreneurship to Rapidly Respond to Urgent Grand Challenges. Business Horizons, 63(8), 705-723. View Full Text
- Grimes, M., Williams, T., and Zhao, E. Y. (2020). Beyond hybridity: Accounting for the values complexity of all organizations in the study of mission and mission drift. Academy of Management Review, 45(1), 234-238.
- Grimes, M., Williams, T. A., and Zhao, E. Y. (2019). Anchors aweigh: The sources, variety, and challenges of mission drift. Academy of Management Review, 44(4), 819-845..
- Shepherd, D. A., and Williams, T. A. (2018). Hitting rock bottom after job loss: Bouncing back to create a new positive work identity. Academy of Management Review, 43(1), 28-49.
- Williams, T. A., Gruber, D. A., Sutcliffe, K. M., Shepherd, D. A., and Zhao, E. Y. (2017). Organizational response to adversity: Fusing crisis management and resilience research streams. Academy of Management Annals, 11(2), 733-769.
- Williams, T. A., and Shepherd, D. A. (2016). Building resilience or providing sustenance: Different paths of emergent ventures in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake. Academy of Management Journal, 59(6), 2069-2102.
- Williams, T. A., and Shepherd, D. A. (2016). Victim entrepreneurs doing well by doing good: Venture creation and well-being in the aftermath of a resource shock. Journal of Business Venturing, 31(4), 365-387.
- Shepherd, D. A., Williams, T. A., and Patzelt, H. (2015). Thinking about entrepreneurial thinking: Review and research agenda. Journal of Management, 41(1), 11-46.
Edited on January 28, 2022