Areas of Expertise
IPOs, M&A, corporate governance
- PhD, Stanford University, 1991
- MA, Stanford University, 1990
- BBA, Baylor University, 1983
- Visiting Professor, Stanford University, 2016
- Indiana University Credit Union, Chairman of the Board of Directors (2015-2016), Board member (2010-present)
- Skyhawk Small Cap Mutual Fund, Trustee (2007-2010)
- Wonderlab Museum of Health, Science, and Technology, Treasurer (2008-2010) and Board Member (2006-2014)
- University of Otago, Visiting Scholar (2007)
- Intel Corporation, Visiting Scholar (1999)
- Stanford University, lecturer (1989-1990)
- Baylor University, lecturer (1985-1986)
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- MBA Teaching Award, 1994-2000, 2002
- Doctoral Student Association Teaching Award, 1995
- Distinguished Service Award, 1997-98, 2009-10, 2012-13
- Zutter, C. J., and Smart, S. B. (2018), Principles of Managerial Finance (15th edition). London, UK: Pearson.
- Boulton, T. J., Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. J. (2017). Conservatism and International IPO Underpricing. Journal of International Business Studies, 48(6), 763-785. View Full Text
- Smart, S. B., Gitman, L. J., and Joehnk, M. D. (2017). Fundamentals of Investing (13th edition). London, UK: Pearson.
- Boulton, T. J., Autore, D., Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. (2014). The Impact of Institutional Quality on Initial Public Offerings. Journal of Economics and Business, 73, 65-96.
- Boulton, T. J., Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. J. (2013). Industrial Diversification and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings. Financial Management, 42(3), 679-704.
- Boulton, T. J., Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. J. (2011). Earnings Quality and International IPO Underpricing. The Accounting Review, 86(2), 483-505.
- Boulton, T. J., Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. J. (2010). Acquisition Activity and IPO Underpricing. Financial Management, 39(4), 1521-1546.
- Boulton, T. J., Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C J. (2010). IPO Underpricing and International Corporate Governance. Journal of International Business Studies, 41(2), 206-222.
- Graham, J., Smart, S. B., and Megginson, W. (2010), Corporate Finance (3rd Edition), Mason, OH: Cengage South-Western.
- Boquist, J., Danielova, A. N., Smart, S. B. (2010). What Motivates Exchangeable Debt Offerings? Journal of Corporate Finance, 16(2), 159-169.
- Smart, S. B., Thirumalai, R. S., and Zutter, C. J. (2008). What's in a vote? The short- and long-run impact of dual-class equity on IPO firm values. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 45(1), 94-115.
- Smart, S. B., Megginson, W., and Bortolotti, B. (2008). The Rise of Accelerated Seasoned Equity Offerings. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 20(3), 35-57.
- Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. J. (2008). Dual-Class IPOs ARE Underpriced Less Severely. Financial Review. 43(1), 85-106.
- Smart, S. B., and Megginson, W. (2008), Introduction to Corporate Finance (2nd Edition). Mason, OH: Cengage South-Western.
- Smart, S. B., Megginson, W., and Gitman, L. (2007). Corporate Finance (2nd edition). Mason, OH: Cengage South-Western.
- Smart, S. B., and Zutter, C. J. (2003). Control as a Motivation for Underpricing: A Comparison of Dual- and Single-Class IPOs. Journal of Financial Economics, 69(1), 85-110.
- Smart, S. B., and Greene, J. (1999). Liquidity Provision and Noise Trading: Evidence from the 'Investment Dartboard' Column. Journal of Finance, 54(5), 1885-1899.
- Smart, S. B., and Waldfogel, J. (1996). Tax Policy, Saving, and Pension Funding. In Pensions, Savings, and Capital Markets. U.S. Department of Labor.
- Smart, S. B., and Waldfogel, J. (1994). Measuring the Effect of Corporate Restructuring on Performance: The Case of Management Buyouts. Review of Economics and Statistics, 76(3), 503-511.
- Shoven, J. B., Smart, S. B., and Waldfogel, J. (1992). Real Interest Rates and the Savings and Loan Crisis: The Moral Hazard Premium. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 6(1), 155-167.
Edited on September 1, 2023