Areas of Expertise
Cyber security and privacy, international law and relations, property, and sustainability.
- JD, with Academic and Pro Bono Distinction, Stanford University
- PhD in Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge
- Masters in International Relations, First Honors, University of Cambridge
- BA, Summa Cum Laude, Indiana University
- Hogan Lovells LLP, Washington, DC
- NASA Office of General Counsel, Mountain View, CA, Clerk
- Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies, New Delhi, India, Boren Fellow
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- W. Glenn Campbell and Rita Ricardo-Campbell National Fellowship at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study Distinguished Visiting Fellowship
- Stanford Center on International Conflict and Negotiation Fellowship
- Affiliate Scholar, Stanford Center for Internet and Society
- Senior Fellow, Center for Applied Cyber Security Research
- 2014 IU-Bloomington Outstanding Junior Faculty Award
- Fulbright Specialist Award in Law at Economics Institute, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Stephen M. Kellen Term Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Outstanding Proceedings Paper Award
- Stanford Law School Steven Block Civil Liberties Award for Writing on Civil Rights
- Winner, 2015 Elinor Ostrom Award for Junior Faculty
- Shakelford, S. J. (2020). Seeking a Safe Harbor in a Widening Sea. William & Mary Law School.
- Shakelford, S. J. Seeking a Safe Harbor in a Widening Sea: Unpacking the EJC’s Schrems Decision and What it Means for Transatlantic Relations. Seton Hall Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations, in press (2019).
- Shackelford, S. J. Business, Music, and Cyber Peace. Indiana Law Journal, in press (2019).
- Shackelford, S, J., and Hiller, J. The Firm and Common Pool Resource Theory: Unpacking the Rise of Benefit Corporations. 55 American Business Law Journal 5 (2018).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Russell, S. Operationalizing Cybersecurity Due Diligence: A Transatlantic Study. 67 University of South Carolina Law Review 1 (2017).
- Stemler, A., Shackelford, S. J., and Richards, E. L. Paris, Panels, and Protectionism: Matching U.S. Rhetoric with Reality to Save the Planet. 19 Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law 3 (2017).
- Raymond, A., Shackelford, S. J., Balakrishnan, R., Dixit, P., Gjonaj J., and Kavi, R. When Toasters Attack: Enhancing the ‘Security of Things’ through Polycentric Governance 2017 University of Illinois Law Review 415 (2017).
- Shackelford, S. J. Human Rights and Cybersecurity Due Diligence: A Comparative Study. 50 University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform 859 (2017).
- Shackelford, S. J., Sulmeyer, M., Schneier, B., Boustead, A., Buchanan, B., and Herr, T. Making Democracy Harder to Hack: Should Elections Be Classified as 'Critical Infrastructure? 50 Michigan Journal of Law Reform 629 (2017).
- Shackelford, S. J., Sulmeyer, M., Buchanan, B., Craig Deckard, A. N., and Micic, B. From Russia with Love: Understanding the Russian Cyber Threat to U.S. Critical Infrastructure. 96 Nebraska Law Review 320 (2017).
- Raymond, A., Richards, E. L., Shackelford, S. J., Kerr, J., and Kuehn, A. IGoverance: The Future Of Multi-Stakeholder Internet Governance In The Wake Of The Apple Encryption Saga. 42 North Carolina Journal of International Law 883 (2017).
- Shackelford, S. J. The Law of Cyber Peace. 18 Chicago Journal of International Law 1 (2017).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Myers, S. Block-by-Block: Leveraging the Power of Blockchain Technology to Build Trust and Promote Cyber Peace. 19 Yale Journal of Law and Technology 334 (2017).
- Shackelford, S. J. (2017). 'NotPetya’ Ransomware Attack Shows Corporate Social Responsibility Should Include Cybersecurity. The Conversation, June 27, 2017. View Full Text (also published in Asia Times, View Full Text).
- Shackelford, S. J. (2017). Welcome to the ‘Managed’ Internet: Unpacking Cyber-Sovereignty in China’s New Cybersecurity Law. Asia & the Pacific Society Policy Forum, June 15, 2017 (also published in Asia Times). View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J. (2017). The Cost of Online Crime: Preventing Cyberattacks and Hacks on the Internet for Cheap. International Business Times, April 18, 2017. View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J., and Myers, S. (2017). Opinion: The Tech Behind Bitcoin Could Reinvent Cybersecurity. Christian Science Monitor, Feb. 27, 2017. View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J. (2017). Should Cybersecurity Be a Human Right?" The Conversation, Feb. 13, 2017 (republished by the World Economic Forum as "Going Digital: Should our Human Rights Apply Online as Well?"). View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J., and Fort, T L. Sustainable Cybersecurity: Applying Lessons from the Green Movement to Managing Cyber Attacks. 5 University of Illinois Law Review 1995 (2016).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Kastelic, A. A State-Centric Cyber Peace? Analyzing the Current State and Impact of National Cybersecurity Strategies on Enhancing Global Cybersecurity. 18 New York University Journal of Legislation and Public Policy 895 (2016).
- Shakelford, S. J., Russell, S., and Kuehn, A. Unpacking the International Law on Cybersecurity Due Diligence: Lessons from the Public and Private Sectors 17 Chicago Journal of International Law 1 (2016).
- Shackelford, S. J. On Climate Change and Cyber Attacks: Leveraging Polycentric Governance to Mitigate Global Collective Action Problems. 18 Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law 653 (2016).
- Shackelford, S. J. (2016). Decrypting the Global Encryption Debate. Huffington Post, Oct. 20, 2016. View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J. Opinion: How to Fix an Internet of Broken Things. Christian Science Monitor Passcode, Oct. 26, 2016. View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J. Zoom Inside: The Case for Cybersecurity Clinics and What They Can Teach Your Firm. Security Roundtable, September 26, 2016. View Full Text
- Shackelford, S. J. (2014), Managing Cyber Attacks in International Law, Business and Relations: In Search of Cyber Peace, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Shackelford, S. J. Neither Magic Bullet Nor Lost Cause: Land Titling and the Wealth of Nations. 21 New York University Environmental Law Journal 101 (2014).
- Shackelford, S. J. Governing the Final Frontier: A Polycentric Approach to Managing Space Weaponization and Debris. 51 American Business Law Journal 429 (2014).
- Shackelford, S. J. Toward Cyber Peace: Managing Cyber Attacks through Polycentric Governance. 62 American University Law Review 1273 (2013).
- Shackelford, S. J. Fragile Merchandise: A Comparative Analysis of the Privacy Rights of Public Figures. 19 American Business Law Journal 125 (2012).
- Shackelford, S. J. Should Your Firm Invest in Cyber Risk Insurance? 55 Business Horizons 349 (2012)
- Shackelford, S. J. In Search of Cyber Peace: A Response to the Cybersecurity Act of 2012. 64 Stanford Law Review Online 106 (2012), available at http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/online/cyber-peace.
- Shackelford, S. J. How to Enhance Cybersecurity and Create American Jobs, Huffington Post, July 16, 2012, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-j-shackelford/how-to-enhance-cybersecurity_b_1673860.html.
- Shackelford, S. J. Was Selden Right? The Expansion of Closed Seas and its Consequences. 47 Stanford Journal of International Law 1 (2011) (lead article).
- Shackelford, S. J. SHACKELFORD: Hacking of Sony could final trigger tough action. Washington Times, May 12, 2011, available at http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/12/getting-a-grip-on-our-electronic-lives/
- Shackelford, S. J. The Wonders of the Future, THIS I BELIEVE: ON FATHERHOOD 58 (Dan Gediman, John Gregory, & Mary Jo Gediman eds., 2011).
- Shackelford, S. J. Defining Privacy in the Information Age. Arizona State Law Journal, Apr. 8, 2011, available at http://arizonastatelawjournal.org/2011/04/08/defining-privacy-in-the-information-age/
- Shackelford, S. J. Google Needs Help Against Online Attackers. San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 24, 2010, at E-4.
- Shackelford, S. J. Estonia Three Years Later: A Progress Report on Combating Cyber Attacks. 13 Journal of Internet Law 22 (2010).
- Shackelford, S. J. Getting Burma Back Online. Huffington Post, Nov. 5, 2010, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-shackelford/getting-burma-back-online_b_779758.html.
- Shackelford, S. J., and Friedman, L. M. Legally Incompetent: A Research Note. 29 American Journal of Legal History 321 (2009).
- Shackelford, S. J. The Tragedy of the Common Heritage of Mankind. 28 Stanford Environmental Law Journal 109 (2009)
- Shackelford, S. J. From Net War to Nuclear War: Analogizing Cyber Attacks in International Law. 27 Berkeley Journal of International Law 192 (2009)
- Shackelford, S. J. (2008). In the Name of Efficiency: The Role of Permanent Lok Adalats in the Indian Justice System and Power Infrastructure. In Manoj Kumar Sinha (Ed.), Global Governance, Development and Human Rights.
Edited on January 14, 2020