Areas of Expertise
Cyber security and privacy, international law and relations, property, and sustainability.
- JD, with Academic and Pro Bono Distinction, Stanford University
- PhD in Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge
- Masters in International Relations, First Honors, University of Cambridge
- BA, Summa Cum Laude, Indiana University
- Hogan Lovells LLP, Washington, DC
- Paul Hastings LLP, Palo Alto, CA
- NASA Office of General Counsel, Mountain View, CA
- Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies, New Delhi, India, National Security Education Program Boren Fellow
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Winner, Trustees Teaching Award (2023)
- Winner, Poets & Quants ‘Best 40-Under-40’ MBA Professors (2022)
- W. Glenn Campbell and Rita Ricardo-Campbell National Fellowship at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study Distinguished Visiting Fellowship
- Stanford Center on International Conflict and Negotiation Fellowship
- Affiliate Scholar, Stanford Center for Internet and Society
- Senior Fellow, Center for Applied Cyber Security Research
- 2014 IU-Bloomington Outstanding Junior Faculty Award
- Fulbright Specialist Award in Law at Economics Institute, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Stephen M. Kellen Term Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Outstanding Proceedings Paper Award
- Stanford Law School Steven Block Civil Liberties Award for Writing on Civil Rights
- Winner, 2015 Elinor Ostrom Award for Junior Faculty
- Shackelford, S. J., Boustead, A., and Madrikis, C. Defining ‘Reasonable’ Cybersecurity: Lessons from the States. XX Yale Journal of Law and Technology XXX (2023, in press).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Bradner, S. O. Forks in the Digital Road: Key Decisions that Gave Us the Internet We Have. Oxford University Press (2023, in press).
- Shackelford, S. J., Hiller, J., and Kisska-Schulze, K. Cybersecurity Carrots and Sticks, XX American Business Law Journal XXX (2023, in press).
- Shackelford, S. J. Seeking a Safe Harbor in a Widening Sea: Unpacking the Schrems Saga and What it Means for Transatlantic Relations. 30 William & Mary Bill of Rights Journal 319 (2022).
- Shackelford, S. J., Raymond, A., Dockery, R., Asare, I. N., and Sergueeva, A. Should We Trust a Black Box to Safeguard Human Rights? A Comparative Analysis of AI Governance. 26 UCLA Journal of International Law and Foreign Affairs 35, (2022).
- Shackelford, S., Raymond, A., McCrory, M., and Bonime-Blanc, A. Cyber Silent Spring: Leveraging ESG+T Frameworks and Trustmarks to Better Inform Investors and Consumers About the Sustainability, Cybersecurity, and Privacy of Internet-Connected Devices. XX University of Pennsylvania Business Law Journal XXX (2022, in press).
- Shackelford, S. J., Douzet, F., and Ankersen, C. Cyber Peace: Charting a Path Toward a Sustainable, Stable, and Secure Cyberspace. Cambridge University Press (2022).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Mattioli, M. Powerhouses: A Comparative Analysis of Blockchain-Enabled Smart Microgrids. 46 Journal Of Corporation Law 1003 (2021).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Bradner, S. O. Have You Updated Your Toaster? Transatlantic Approaches to Governing the Internet of Everything. 72 Hastings Law Journal 628 (2021).
- Shackelford, S. J. Wargames: Analyzing the Act of War Exclusion in Insurance Coverage and its Implications for Cybersecurity Policy. 23 Yale Journal of Law and Technology 362 (2021).
- Shackelford, S. J. Inside the Drive for Cyber Peace: Unpacking Implications for Practitioners and Policymakers. 21 UC Davis Business Law Journal 285 (2021).
- Shackelford, S. J., and Dockery, R. Governing AI. 30 Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy 279 (2021)
- Grow, N., and Shackelford, S. J. The Sport of Cybersecurity: How Professional Sports Leagues Can Better Protect the Competitive Integrity of Their Games. 61 Boston College Law Review 473 (2020).
- Shackelford, S. J. The Future of Frontiers. 23 Lewis & Clark Law Review 1331 (2020).
- Shackelford, S. J., Charoen, D., Waite, T., and Zhang, N. Rethinking Active Defense: A Comparative Analysis of Proactive Cybersecurity Policymaking. 41 University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law 377 (2020).
- Shackelford, S. J., Hiller, J., and Ma, X. Unpacking the Rise of Benefit Corporations: A Transatlantic Comparative Case Study. 60 Virginia Journal of International Law 697 (2020).
- Shackelford, S. J. Governing New Frontiers in the Information Age: Toward Cyber Peace. Cambridge University Press (2020). Reviewed by Prof. Susan Aaronson (George Washington University), Brett Frischmann (Villanova University), Mike Schmitt (University of Texas-Austin), Adam Segal (Council on Foreign Relations), Peter Swire (Georgia Tech) and James A. Stever, Choice Reviews 58: 06 (2021).
- Stemler, A., Shackelford, S. J., Raymond, A., and Loyle, C. Defending Democracy: Taking Stock of the Global Fight Against Digital Repression, Disinformation, and Election Insecurity, 77 Washington and Lee Law Review 1747 (2020).
- Shackelford, S. J. (2020). The Internet of Things: What Everyone Needs to Know. Oxford University Press. Reviewed by Jeff Kosseff (U.S. Naval Academy), Bruce Schneier (Harvard University), and Peter Swire (Georgia Tech)) (translated into Turkish in 2021, and Mandarin and published by Huazhong University of Science and Technology in 2020).
- Shackelford, S. J. Managing Cyber Attacks in International Law, Business and Relations: In Search of Cyber Peace, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press (2014).
Edited on April 3, 2023