Areas of Expertise
Online Word of Mouth, Customer Relationship Management, Entertainment Industry, Econometric Models of Consumer Dynamics
- Ph.D., Marketing, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, June 2011
- M.S., Statistics, University of Virginia, June 2005
- M.Tech., Industrial Management, IIT Madras, India, June 2002
- B.Tech., Industrial Engineering, University of Kerala, India, June 1999
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, July 2017 - present
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, David Eccles School of Business, University of Utah, August 2011 - June 2017
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Journal of Marketing Editorial Review Board Member, 2017-
- David Eccles Emerging Scholar, 2014-2017
- Invited to be a reviewer for the DMEF Shankar-Spiegel Dissertation Proposal Competition, 2013 and 2014
- Invited to serve as a mentor at the DocSIG Mentor Networking Breakfast at Winter AMA, 2013
- Winner of DMEF Shankar-Spiegel Dissertation Proposal Competition, 2010
- Awarded $6,500 for winning the research competition on User-Generated Content co-sponsored by the Marketing Science Institute (MSI) and the Wharton Interactive Media Initiative (WIMI), 2009 (with Pradeep Chintagunta and Sriram Venkataraman)
- Fellow, AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium, 2009
- Graduate Fellowship, Northwestern University, 2005-2011
- Graduate Fellowship, University of Virginia, 2002-2005
- Gold Medalist, M.Tech Program, IIT Madras, 2002
- Coka Parthasarathy Award for Best Academic Record, M.Tech Program, IIT Madras, 2002
- K.V. Arunkumar Memorial Award for Best Academic Record, M.Tech Program, IIT Madras, 2002
- Hoskins, J., Gopinath, S., Verhaal, C., and Yazdani, E. (2021). How the Online Community, Professional Critics, Location Similarity and Reviewer Characteristics Influence Review Ratings for Niche and Mainstream Brands: An Empirical Investigation of the U.S. Beer Industry. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, in press.
- Li, L., Gopinath, S., and Carson, S. (2021). History Matters: The Impact of Online Customer Reviews Across Product Generations. Management Science, in press.
- Yazdani, E., Gopinath, S., and Carson, S. (2018). Preaching To The Choir: The Chasm Between Top Ranked Reviewers, Mainstream Customers, And Product Sales. Marketing Science, 37(5), 838–851.
- Gopinath, S., Thomas, J. S., and Krishnamurthi, L. (2014). Investigating the Relationship between the Content of Online Word of Mouth, Advertising and Brand Performance. Marketing Science, 33(2), 241-258.
- Gopinath, S., Chintagunta, P., and Venkataraman, S. (2013). Blogs, Advertising and Local-Market Movie Box-Office Performance. Management Science, 59(12), 2635-2654.
- Chintagunta, P., Gopinath, S., and Venkataraman, S. (2010). The Effects of Online User Reviews on Movie Box Office Performance: Accounting For Sequential Rollout and Aggregation across Local Markets. Marketing Science, 29(5), 944-957.
- Krishnamurthi, L., and Gopinath, S. (2010). Impact of Consumer Generated Media. In Alice M. Tybout, and Bobby J. Calder (Eds.) Kellogg on Marketing, 2nd Edition (307-318). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Gopinath, S., Thomas, J. S., and Krishnamurthi, L. (2009). People are Talking-Anticipate product performance through online discussions. Kellogg Insight.
Edited on December 8, 2021