Areas of Expertise
Auditing, financial reporting, corporate governance, auditing and financial reporting standards
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, 2011
- M.S., University of Texas at Austin, 2009
- B.A., Michigan State University, 1998
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Assistant Instructor, The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business, 2006 – 2011
- Audit Manager, Deloitte & Touche LLP, San Diego, 2002 – 2006
- Audit Senior, Arthur Andersen LLP, San Diego, 1998 – 2002
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Certified Public Accountant, California
- University of Texas Continuing Fellowship, 2010 – 2011
- Deloitte & Touche Michael J. Cook Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2010
- Deloitte & Touche Foundation Doctoral Fellowship, 2009 – 2010
- University of Texas McCombs School of Business Doctoral Fellowship, 2007 – 2009
- University of Texas Pre-emptive Recruiting Fellowship, 2006 – 2007
- California Society of CPAs Doctoral Fellowship, 2006 - 2009
- Shepardson, M. (2019). Effects of individual task-specific experience in audit committee oversight of financial reporting outcomes. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 74, 56-74.
- Bhaskar, L. S., Schroeder, J. H., and Shepardson, M. (2019). Integration of Internal Control and Financial Statement Audits: Are Two Audits Better than One? The Accounting Review, 94(2), 53-81.
- Schroeder, J. H., and Shepardson, M. (2016). Do SOX 404 Control Audits and Management Assessments Improve Overall Internal Control System Quality? The Accounting Review, 91(5), 1513-1541.
- Kinney, W., Martin, R., and Shepardson, M. (2013). Reflections on a decade of SOX 404(b) audit production and alternatives. Accounting Horizons, 27(4), 799–813.
- Kinney, W., and Shepardson, M. (2011). Do control effectiveness disclosures require SOX 404(b) internal control audits? A natural experiment with small U.S. public Companies. Journal of Accounting Research, 49(2), 413-448.
Edited on June 28, 2019