Areas of Expertise
Preference Formation and Decision Making / Regulation of Conflict and Effort in Choice Empathy and Social Influence / Multitasking and Persistence / Sense of Autonomy / Systematic Approaches to Creativity
- Ph.D., Marketing, May 2011, Columbia Business School, Columbia University, New York, NY
- M.B.A., Marketing, June 2006, The Jerusalem School of Business Administration, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
- B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, June 2002, Faculty of Engineering Sciences, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
- Associate Professor of Marketing, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2019 – present
- Claude Marion Endowed Faculty Scholar, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2014 – 2015
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2011 – 2019
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, 2018
- “Top 40 Undergraduate Professors,” Poets & Quants Selection, 2017
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, 2017
- Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar Award, 2017
- Finalist, 2016 William F. O’Dell Award, Journal of Marketing Research
- Best Paper Award, Association for Consumer Research, 2015
- The Claude Marion Endowed Faculty Scholar Award, 2014-2015
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, 2014
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, 2012
- AMA / John A. Howard, Doctoral Dissertation Competition, 2011, Honorable Mention
- Mary Kay Doctoral Dissertation Competition, 2011, Honorable Mention
- Best Competitive Paper Award, Society for Consumer Psychology, 2010 Winter Conference
- Best Student Paper Award, Society for Consumer Psychology, 2010 Winter Conference
- AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Texas Christian University, 2010
- Annual UH Doctoral Symposium Fellow, University of Houston, 2010
- Zwebner, Y., and Schrift, R. Y. (2020). On My Own: The Aversion to Being Observed During the Preference-Construction Stage. Journal of Consumer Research, 47(4), 475–499.
- Carmon, Z., Schrift, R. Y., Wertenbroch, K., and Yang, H. (2020). Designing AI Systems that Customers Won’t Hate. MIT Sloan Management Review, in press. View Full Text
- Schrift, R. Y., Parker, J. R., Zauberman, G., and Srna, S. (2018). Multi-Stage Decision Processes: The Impact of Attribute Order on How Consumers Mentally Represent Their Choice. Journal of Consumer Research, 44(6), 1307-1324.
- Srna, S., Schrift, R. Y., and Zauberman, G. (2018). The Illusion of Multitasking and Its Positive Effect on Performance. Psychological Science, 29(12), 1942-1955.
- Ascarza, E., Neslin, S. A., Netzer, O., Anderson, Z., Fader, P. S., Gupta, S., Hardie, B. G. S., Lemmens, A., Libai, B., Neal, D., Provost, F., and Schrift, R. Y. (2018). In Pursuit of Enhanced Customer Retention Management: Review, Key Issues, and Future Directions. Customer Needs and Solutions, 5(1-2), 65-81.
- Cheng, Y., Mukhopadhyay, A., and Schrift, R. Y. (2017). Do Costly Options Lead to Better Outcomes? How the Protestant Work Ethic Influences the Cost-Benefit Heuristic in Goal Pursuit. Journal of Marketing Research, 54(4), 636-649.
- Schrift, R. Y., Kivetz, R., and Netzer, O. (2016). Complicating Decisions: The Work Ethic Heuristic and the Construction of Effortful Decisions. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 145(7), 807-829.
- Schrift, R. Y., and Amar, M. (2015). Pain and Preferences: Observed Decisional Conflict and the Convergence of Preferences. Journal of Consumer Research, 42(4), 515-534.
- Schrift, R. Y., and Parker, J. R. (2014). Staying the Course: The Option of Doing Nothing and Its Impact on Postchoice Persistence. Psychological Science, 25(3), 772-780.
- Schrift, R. Y., Netzer, O., and Kivetz, R. (2011). Complicating Choice. Journal of Marketing Research, 48(2), 308-326.
- Parker, J. R., and Schrift, R. Y. (2011). Rejectable Choice-Sets: How Seemingly Irrelevant No-Choice Options Affect Consumer Decision Processes. Journal of Marketing Research, 48(5), 840-854.
- Kivetz, R., Netzer, O., and Schrift, R. Y. (2008). The Synthesis of Preference: Bridging Behavioral Decision Research and Marketing Science. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 18(3), 179-186.
Edited on October 23, 2020