Areas of Expertise
Business and Policy in Emerging Economies, Strategy and Innovation in Health Care, Industry Dynamics of Higher Education
- PhD , Vanderbilt University, 1995
- BA , University of South Carolina, 1991
- Associate Dean of Academic Programs (Indianapolis, 2016-2023)
- Faculty Chair, Kelley Direct Online Graduate Programs (Bloomington, 2012-2016)
- Faculty Chair, Full-time MBA Program (Bloomington, 2009-2012)
- Faculty Chair, Evening MBA Program (Indianapolis, 2006-2009)
- Faculty Co-Director, MBA Discovery, Innovation, and Ventures Enterprise (Indianapolis, 2005-2007)
- Faculty Director, MBA Health Care and Life Sciences Academy (Bloomington, 2002-2005)
- Visiting Scholar, Pacific Islands Development Program, East-West Center, Honolulu (2003)
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Lilly Alumni MBA Teaching Award (Bloomington): 2015
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award (Bloomington): 2010, 2013
- Lilly Alumni MBA Teaching Award (Indianapolis): 1999, 2002, 2005
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award (Indianapolis): each year 1997-2010
- Trustee's Teaching Award (Indianapolis): 2000
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award (Indianapolis): 1998, 1999, 2000
- Rendigs Fels Excellence in Teaching Award (Vanderbilt University): 1995
- Indiana University Leadership Development Class of 2007
- Powell, P. T., Ismail , T., Farag, H., Patel, S., Rees, M., and Roby, M. (2018). An Innovation Plan for GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) in Africa - The Aquafresh Teacher Academy. In D. F. Kuratko, M. G. Goldsby, and J. S. Hornsby, (Eds.), Corporate Innovation: Disruptive Thinking in Organizations, (342-354). New York, NY: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Ismail, T., and Powell, P. T. (2016). GSK in Africa: An Inclusive Strategy Case Study for Low Income Market Segments. In N. O. Agola and A. Hunter, (Eds.), Inclusive Innovation for Sustainable Development, (129-148). London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hiatt, J., Hutchens, M., Ortiz, R., and Powell, P. T. (2011). The South Pacific Business Development Foundation: Fighting Poverty in Fiji. Ann Arbor: Globalens, William Davidson Institute, University of Michigan, Case 1-429-169 (and separately published Teaching Note).
- Powell, P. T., and Laufer, R. (2010). The Promises and Constraints of Consumer Directed Healthcare. Business Horizons, 53(2), 171-182.
- Hill, J., and Powell, P. T. (2009). The National Healthcare Crisis: Is ehealth a Key Solution? Business Horizons, 52(3), 265-278.
- Russell, C. S., and Powell, P. T. (2007). Practical Considerations and Comparison of Instruments of Environmental Policy. In J. Van Den Bergh, Kenneth Button, and Peter Nijkamp, (Eds.), Environmental Planning, (147-168). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Powell, P. T. (2006). Ethnic Heterogeneity, Economic Integration and Atomistic Federalism in the Pacific. Pacific Economic Bulletin, 21(2), 53-69.
- Powell, P. T., (2005). 'Too Young to Marry': Economic Convergence and the Case Against Integration of Pacific Island States. In S. Chand, (Ed.), Pacific Island Regional Integration and Governance (218-239). Canberra, Australia: Asia Pacific Press.
- Powell, P. T. (2004). A Theory of Atomistic Federalism for Melanesia. Pacific Economic Bulletin, 19(3), 49-63.
- Schmenner, R. W., and Powell, P. T. (2002). Economics and Operations Management: Towards a Theory of Endogenous Production Speed. Managerial and Decision Economics, 23(6), 331-342.
- Powell, P. T., and Nakata, D. A. (2001). Can Earnings Decline Cause a Retirement Flight of Physicians? Financial Compensation and the Decision to Stay in Practice. Medical Care Research and Review, 58(3), 361-378.
Edited on February 3, 2023