Areas of Expertise
Collaborative/active classrooms, flipped classrooms, technology tools and teaching, online teaching, career development, first year experience programs, computer skills.
- Ph.D., Educational Studies, Ball State University, 2012
- M.A., Secondary Education, Ball State University, 2003
- B.S., Accounting, Butler University, Accounting, 1993
- Lecturer in Communication, Professional, and Computer Skills, Kelley School of Business, 2017 - present
- Trustee Lecturer in Computer, Information, and Graphics Technology, Purdue School of Engineering and Technology, IUPUI, 2009 - 2017
- Faculty in Department of Undergraduate Education, IUPUI (formerly University College), 2015 - 2017
- Associate Faculty in Computer, Information, and Graphics Technology, Purdue School of Engineering and Technology, IUPUI, 2001 – 2009
- Self-employed consultant/teacher/coach, 1995 - 2001
- Staff Accountant, Coopers & Lybrand/Allman & Fitzgerald, 1993 - 1994
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Mosaic Faculty Fellow, Indiana University, June 2016 – present
- MOS Excel 2016, MOS Word 2016, IC3 certifications, 2016 – present
- Gateway Faculty Fellow, IUPUI, 2016 - 2017
- Frank E. Burley Distinguished Professor Award, Purdue School of Engineering & Technology, IUPUI, August 2014
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Purdue School of Engineering & Technology, IUPUI, April 2011
- Outstanding Associate Faculty Award, Purdue School of Engineering & Technology, IUPUI, April 2008
- Associate Faculty Gateway Scholar, IUPUI, June 2007
- Evans, N., Ingram, E., & Elliott, R. (2016). A process of institutional change in online learning. Proceedings of the 36th Annual Original Lilly Conference on College Teaching, Oxford, OH, November 17-20.
- Mithun, S. & Evans, N. (2016). Teaching Introductory Programming Concepts using the Flipped Classroom Model. Proceedings of the 36th Annual Original Lilly Conference on College Teaching, Oxford, OH, November 17-20.
- Evans, N., Elliott, R., Thedwall, K., Zhao, H., Kelmer, M., & Byrer, N. (2015). Classroom technology from students’ perspectives. Proceedings of the 35th Annual Original Lilly Conference on College Teaching, Oxford, OH, November 19-22.
- Evans, N. (2012). Students' perceptions of meaningfulness in first year experience courses: A case study. Ann Arbor, MI: Proquest LLC.
- Elliott, R. & Evans, N. (2011). Work in progress — The impact of integrating first-year students into the broader curriculum. Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), doi: 10.1109/FIE.2011.614301.
- Evans, N. J., Mulvihill, T. M., & Brooks, N. J. (2008). Mediating the tensions of online learning with Second Life. Innovate: Journal of Online Education, 4(6). https://nsuworks.nova.edu/innovate/vol4/iss6/1/
- Evans, N. (2004). Spirituality and education. Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, HI, January 3-6.
Edited on August 25, 2022