Areas of Expertise
Branding (Brand Transgressions, Brand Relationships, Brand Loyalty) and Financial Decision-Making (Money, Saving, Gambling)
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2021-present
- Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University (NTU Singapore), 2018-2020
- Procter & Gamble, Polpharma, Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- AMA’s CBSIG Research in Practice Award Winner for 2019 JCR Article in Recognition of Contribution as a Consumer Behavior Scholar, 2020-2021
- SSRN Top 10% author by all-time paper downloads, 2021
- AIM – AMA Sheth Foundation Research Grant Recipient, 2019
- Journal of Consumer Research (JCR) Author Development Workshop Participant, 2018
- Start-up Research Grant, Nanyang Business School, 2018-2021 ($90,000)
- AMA CBSIG Rising Star Award Recipient, 2017-2018
- Emerald/EFMD 2017 Outstanding Doctoral Research Highly Commended Award for “How Well Do Consumer-Brand Relationships Drive Customer Brand Loyalty? Generalizations from a Meta-Analysis of Brand Relationship Elasticities," 2018
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) of Canada Doctoral Fellowship, 2017-2018
- George E. Connell Graduate Scholarship, 2017-2018
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of Notre Dame, 2016
- Society for Marketing Advances Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2016
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Province of Ontario, 2015, 2016, 2017
- C.B. (Bud) Johnston Graduate Scholarship, 2015-2016, 2016-2017
- Ivey Thesis Research Fund, Western University, 2016-2017
- Berdie and Irvin Cohen Graduate Scholarship, 2014-2015
- Connors, S., Khamitov, M., Thomson, M., and Perkins, A. (2021). They’re Just Not that into You: How to Leverage Existing Consumer-Brand Relationships through Social Psychological Distance. Journal of Marketing, in press (Featured in JM’s Webinar Series for Marketing Professionals and AMA’s Newsletter, Top 5% of All Research Outputs Scored by Altmetric).
- Wang, X. (S.), Lu, S., Li, X., Khamitov, M. and Bendle, N. (2021). Audio Mining: The Role of Vocal Tone in Persuasion. Journal of Consumer Research, in press (Featured in JCR’s Consumer Researcher Blog). View Full Text
- Khamitov, M., Grégoire, Y., and Suri, A. (2020). A Systematic Review of Brand Transgression, Service Failure-Recovery, and Product-Harm Crisis: Integration and Guiding Insights. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 48(3), 519-542 (Shortlisted as One of the Top 10 Papers Published in 2020 by JAMS Area Editors, Top 1% Comparable Highly Cited Paper in the Business, Economics Fields Based on Web of Science).
- Allard, T., and Khamitov, M. (2020). The Surprising Upside of Expensive Products That Don’t Sell. Harvard Business Review, https://hbr.org/2020/10/the-surprising-upside-of-expensive-products-that-dont-sell.
- Khamitov, M., Wang, X. (S.), and Thomson, M. (2019). How Well Do Consumer-Brand Relationships Drive Customer Brand Loyalty? Generalizations from a Meta-Analysis of Brand Relationship Elasticities. Journal of Consumer Research, 46(3), 435-459 (AMA’s CBSIG Research in Practice Award Co-Winner, 20-21; Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Highly Commended Award 17; SMA Best Dissertation Proposal Award 16; Featured in JCR’s Curation on Brands and Branding by Kevin Lane Keller and JCR’s Author Interviews as One of the Lead Articles in the Issue).
- Duclos, R., and Khamitov, M. (2019). Compared to Dematerialized Money, Cash Increases Impatience in Intertemporal Choice. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 29(3), 445-454.
- Rotman, J., Khamitov, M., and Connors, S. (2018). Lie, Cheat, and Steal: How Harmful Brands Motivate Consumers to Act Unethically. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 28(2), 353-361 (Recognized as JCP’s top 20 most downloaded paper among articles published July 2016-June 2018).
- Khamitov, M., Rotman, J., and Piazza, J. (2016). Perceiving the Agency of Harmful Agents: A test of Dehumanization versus Moral Typecasting Accounts. Cognition, 146, 33-47.
- Connors, S., Khamitov, M., Moroz, S., Campbell, L., and Henderson, C. (2016). Time, Money, and Happiness: Does Putting a Price on Time Affect Our Ability to Smell the Roses? Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 67, 60-64.
- Goode, M., Khamitov, M., and Thomson, M. (2015). Dyads, Triads and Consumer Treachery: When Interpersonal Connections Guard Against Brand Cheating. In Susan Fournier, Michael Breazeale, and Jill Avery (Eds.) Handbook of Strong Brands, Strong Relationships (216-232). London: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
Edited on March 16, 2021