Areas of Expertise
Strategic Management, Entrepreneurship, International Business
- PhD, University of South Carolina, 1987
- MEd, University of South Carolina
- BS, University of South Carolina
- Associate Dean of Faculty and Research, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, (2006-2009)
- Chair, Management Department, Kelley School of Business, (2000-2003)
- Interim Associate Dean of Academics, Kelley School of Business, (2004-2005)
- Editor, Entrepreneurship & Management Journal, Social Science Research Network (SSRN), 2009-present
- Vice President-Program, Academy of International Business (2012-2014)
- Chair, Academy of Management-Entrepreneurship Division, (1996-1997)
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Professor of Management, (1991-1999)
- Georgia State University , Assistant Professor of Management, (1986-1991)
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- TERA Teaching Award
- KSB 2001 Full Professor Research Excellence Award
- 21st Century Entrepreneurship Research Fellow
- JIBS 2004 Decade Award for most Influential paper in international business for the past decade
- Patel, P. C., Fernhaber, S., McDougall-Covin, P., and van der Have, R. (2014). Beating Competitors to International Markets: The Value of Geographically Balanced Networks for nnovation. Strategic Management Journal, 35(5), 691–711.
- Coviello, N. E., McDougall-Covin, P., and Oviatt, B. M. (2011). The Emergence, Advance and Future of International Entrepreneurship Research—An Introduction to the Special Forum. Journal of Business Venturing, 26(6), 625-631.
- Fernhaber, S. A., and McDougall-Covin, P. (2009). Venture Capitalists as Catalysts to New Venture Internationalization: The Impact of their Knowledge and Reputation Resources. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(1), 277-295.
- Fernhaber, S. A., McDougall-Covin, P., and Shepherd, D. (2009). International Entrepreneurship: Leveraging Internal and External Knowledge Sources. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 3(4), 297-320.
- Gilbert, B. A., McDougall, P., and Audretsch, D. B. (2008). Clusters, Knowledge Spillovers and new Venture Performance: An Empirical Examination. Journal of Business Venturing, 23(4), 405-422.
- Fernhaber, S. A., Gilbert, B. A., and McDougall, P. (2008). International Entrepreneurship and Geographic Location: An Empirical Examination of New Venture Internationalization. Journal of International Business Studies, 39(2), 267-290.
- Fernhaber, S. A., McDougall, P., and Oviatt, B. M. (2007). Exploring the Role of Industry Structure in New Venture Internationalization. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 31(4), 517-542.
- Gilbert, B. A., McDougall, P., and Audretsch, D. B. (2006). New Venture Growth: A Review and Extension. Journal of Management, 32(6), 926-950.
- McDougall, P., and Oviatt, B. M. (2005). Defining International Entrepreneurship and Modeling the Speed of Internationalization. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 29(5), 537-554.
- Oviatt, B. M., and McDougall, P. (2005). The Internationalization of Entrepreneurship. Journal of International Business Studies, 36(1), 2-8.
Edited on July 18, 2018