Areas of Expertise
Management of Multinational Enterprises, International Strategic Alliances, Internationalization Process
- PhD, Texas A&M University, 2005
- MS, Tsinghua University, 1999
- BA, Peking University, 1997
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Sauvain Teaching Award (2016)
- Exceptional Inspiration and Guidance Award, Doctoral Student Association (2015)
- Research Award, Institute for Advanced Study (2014)
- IU CIBER Faculty Research Awards (2007-2008)
- IU CIBER Faculty Research Awards (2005-2006)
- Li, D., Wei, L., Cao, Q., and Chen, D. (2021). Informal Institutions, Entrepreneurs’ Political Participation, and Venture Internationalization. Journal of International Business Studies, in press.
- Falaster, C., Ferreira, M., and Li, D. (2021). The influence of generalized and arbitrary institutional inefficiencies on the ownership decision in cross-border acquisitions. Journal of International Business Studies, in press.
- Liu, C., & Li, D. (2020). Divestment Response to Host Country Terrorist Attacks: Inter-firm Influence and the Role of Temporal Consistency. Journal of International Business Studies, 51(8), 1331–1346.
- Eden, L., Miller, S., & Li, D. (2020). CSR reputation and firm performance: A dynamic approach. Journal of Business Ethics, 163(3), 619–636.
- Wang, S. L., and Li, D. (2019). Responding to the public disclosure of corporate social irresponsibility in host countries: Information control and ownership control. Journal of International Business Studies, 50(8):1283-1309.
- Clark, D., Li, D, & Shepherd, D. (2018). Country familiarity in the initial stage of foreign market selection: A verbal protocol analysis. Journal of International Business Studies 49(4), 442-472.
- Li, L., Goerzen, A., Li, D., & Shi, W. (2018). What and how do SMEs gain by going international? A longitudinal investigation of financial and intellectual resource growth. Journal of Word Business, 53(6), 817-834.
- Li, D., Eden, L. & Josefy, M. (2017). Agent and task complexity in multilateral alliance: The safeguarding role of equity governance. Journal of International Management, 23(3), 227-241.
- Hitt, M.A., Li, D., & Xu, K. (2016). International strategy: From local to global and beyond. Journal of World Business, 51(1), 58-73.
- Li, M., Li, D., Lyles, M. A., & Liu, S. (2016). Outward foreign direct investment and domestic productivity growth: A threshold model with evidence from China. Global Strategy Journal, 6, 289-308.
- Terjesen, S., Hessels, J., & Li, D. (2016). Comparative international entrepreneurship research: A review and research agenda. Journal of Management, 42(1), 299-344.
- Ferreira, M.P., Carreira, H.C., Li, D., & Serra, F.R. (2016) The moderating effect of home country corruption on the host country’s ability to attract FDI. Brazilian Business Review, 13(4), 94-117.
- Lyles, M. A., Li, D. & Yan, H. (2014). Chinese Outward Foreign Direct Investment Performance: The Role of Learning. Management Organization Review, 10(3), 411-437.
- Ferreira, M.P., Li, D., Reis, N., & Fernando, O. (2014). Culture in international business research: A bibliometric study in four top IB journals. Management Research: The Journal of the Iberoamerican Academy of Management, 12(1), 68-91.
- Fernhaber, S. & Li, D. (2013). International exposure through network relationships: Implications for new venture internationalization. Journal of Business Venturing, 28(2), 316-334.
- Li, D. (2013). Multilateral R&D alliances by new ventures. Journal of Business Venturing, 28(2), 241-260.
- Li, D., Eden, L., Hitt, M., Ireland, D., & R. Garrett Jr. (2012). Governance in Multilateral R&D Alliances. Organization Science, 23(4), 1191-1210.
- Li, D., Miller, S., Eden, L. & Hitt, M.A. (2012). The impact of rule of law on market value creation for local alliance partners in BRIC countries. Journal of International Management, 18(4), 305-321.
- Patel, P., Terjesen, S., & Li, D. (2012). Enhancing effects of manufacturing flexibility through operational absorptive capacity and operational ambidexterity. Journal of Operations Management, 30(3), 201-220.
- Li, D. & Ferreira, M.P. (2011). Institutional business environment and firms’ sources of financial capital in Eastern European countries. Journal of Business Research, 64(4), 371-376.
- Li, L., Li, D., & Shi, W. (2011). Internationalization, internalization and the performance of US biopharmaceutical SMEs. Multinational Business Review, 19(1): 65-93.
- Eden, L., Dai, L., & Li, D. (2010-2011). International business, international management, international strategy: What’s in a name? International Studies of Management & Organization, 40(4), 54-68. Reprinted as “What’s in a name?” in The Routledge Companion to International Management Education, edited by Denise Tsang, Hamid H. Kazeroony and Guy Ellis. Routledge, pp. 33-61, Routledge: London and New York.
- Fernhaber, S. & Li, D. (2010). The impact of interorganizational imitation on new venture international entry and performance. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 34(1), 1-30.
- Ferreira, M.P., Li, D., & Jang, Y.S. (2009). Foreign entry strategies: Strategic adaptation to various facets of the institutional environments. Development & Society, 38(1), 27-55.
- Kang, E. & Li, D. (2009). Understanding diverging isomorphic pressures on foreign subsidiary managers: A contingency model. Multinational Business Review, 17(1), 1-21.
- Li, D., Eden, L., Hitt, M.A., & Ireland, D. (2008). Friends, acquaintances or strangers? Partner selection in R&D alliances. Academy of Management Journal, 51(2), 315-334.
- Li, D., & Ferreira, M.P. (2008). Partner selection for international strategic alliances in emerging economies. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 24(4), 308-319.
- Miller, S., Li, D., Eden, L., & Hitt, M.A. (2008). Insider trading and the valuation of international strategic alliances in emerging stock markets. Journal of International Business Studies, 39(1), 102-117.
- Collins, J., Li, D., & Kansal, P. (2008). Home country institutions as predictors of FDI in India. Journal of Asian Business Studies, 3(1), 12-22.
- Collins, J., Reutzel, C., & Li, D. (2007). The impact of entry mode on subsequent commitment to poorly performing subsidiaries. Corporate Ownership & Control, 5(1), 482-492.
- Li, D. & Ferreira, M.P. (2006). The evolutionary model of entrepreneurial firms’ dependence on networks: Going beyond the start-up stage. Notas Económicas, 24 (December), 48-63.
- Campos, E.B., Salmador, M.P., & Li, D. (2006). “Guanxi”: Implications for Spanish companies in China. Economía Industrial, 362, 93-101.
- Phelan, S.E., Dalgic, T., Li, D., & Sethi, D. (2006). The development of entrepreneurial networks: A necessary condition for international new ventures. Strategic Management Review, 2(1), 1-21.
- Eden, L., Juarez Valdez, L., & Li, D. (2005). Talk softly but carry a big stick: Transfer pricing penalties and the market valuation of Japanese multinationals in the United States. Journal of International Business Studies, 36(5), 1-17.
- Lin, Z., Yang, H., Arya, B., Huang, Z., & Li, D. (2005). Structural vs. Individual Perspectives on the Dynamics of Group Performance: Theoretical Exploration and Empirical Investigation. Journal of Management, 31(3), 354-380.
- Li, L., Li, D., & Dalgic, T. (2004). Internationalization process of small and medium-sized enterprises: Toward a hybrid framework of experiential learning and planning. Management International Review, 44(1), 93-116.
Edited on January 5, 2021