Kelly Eskew is a Clinical Professor of Business Law & Ethics. She recently received the John Bonsignore Memorial Award for
Kelly Eskew is a Clinical Professor of Business Law & Ethics. She recently received the John Bonsignore Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Law Teaching from the Academy for Legal Studies in Business. This national award recognizes her commitment to the undergraduate study of law and teaching that is interdisciplinary, demonstrates critical thinking skills, and reflects humanitarian concerns. In 2020, Professor Eskew received Innovative Teaching Award, the Eyster Teaching Scholars Award, and the Herman B Wells Teaching Excellence Award. She was recognized with the Kelley School’s Panschar Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in 2019. She is a previous IU Trustee Teaching Award recipient.
Professor Eskew currently teaches business and human rights, sustainability law and policy, business ethics, renewable energy sector law and policy, and business and global poverty alleviation, and advises a number of Kelley and IU-Bloomington student organizations.
An attorney, Professor Eskew started her law career with ten years in private practice, representing corporations and hospitals, the Indiana Horse Racing Commission (for which she was later an administrative law judge), and the doctors who invented Gatorade, among others. She then served as in-house counsel to IU Health, managing malpractice and employment litigation. The year prior to joining the Kelley faculty, she worked at the ACLU and litigated civil rights cases. She had the privilege of representing clients in two of Indiana’s marriage equality cases.
Areas of Expertise
Climate law and policy; sustainability law and policy; business and human rights; business and poverty alleviation; civil rights; business ethics
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Fulbright Specialist Program, 2022 - 2025
- Trustee Teaching Award, 2021, 2017 (Indiana University)
- Campus Catalyst – Excellence in Teaching Award, 2021 (awarded by Sustain IU)
- Innovative Teaching Award, 2020 (awarded by Kelley School of Business)
- Elvin S. Eyster Teaching Scholars Award, 2020 (with Kelley Direct MBA faculty colleagues) (awarded by Kelley School of Business)
- Herman B Wells Teaching Excellence Award, 2021, 2020 (awarded by Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity based on student nominations)
- John Bonsignore Memorial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Law Teaching, 2019 (honors a member of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business, the national professional organization for teachers and scholars of business law and ethics, who has demonstrated a professional commitment to the undergraduate study of law and whose teaching or research is interdisciplinary, demonstrates critical thinking skills, and reflects humanitarian concerns)
- Panschar Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2019 (Kelley School of Business)
- Innovative Teaching Award, 2019 (co-recipient) ( Kelley School of Business)
- Finalist, Panschar Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2018
- Nominee, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Building Bridges Award, 2018 (one of four faculty nominated on the Indiana University-Bloomington campus)
- Indiana Bar Foundation Distinguished Fellow, 2009 (peer nominated)
Edited on August 24, 2022