Areas of Expertise
Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Managing Operations in the Presence of Uncertainty, Managing Product End of Life, Mass Customization
- PhD, Stanford University, 1997
- MBA, University of California at Berkeley, 1986
- BS, Brigham Young University, 1984
- Indiana University, 2005-present
- Journal of Operations Management, 2017 to present, Associate Editor
- Production and Operations Management Society, 2004-present, Senior Editor
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1997-2005
- Hewlett Packard Company, 1986-1992
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Trustees Teaching Award (2010, 2012, 2018)
- Cho, D., and Cattani, K. (2019). The Patient Patient. Decision Sciences, 50(4), 756-785.
- Cho, D., Bretthauer, K., Cattani, K., and Mills, A. (2019). Behavior-Aware Service Staffing. Production and Operations Management, 28(5), 1285-1304.
- DeYong, G., and Cattani, K. (2018). The Unlimited Newsvendor: A General Solution to a Class of Two-Period Newsvendor Problems. International Journal of Production Economics Research, 201, 173-192.
- De Treville, S., Cattani, K., and Saarinen, L. (2017). Technical note: Options-Based Costing and the Volatility Portfolio. Journal of Operations Management, 49-51, 77-81.
- DeYong, G., and Cattani, K. (2016). Fenced In? Stochastic and Deterministic Planning Models in a Time-Fenced, Rolling-Horizon Scheduling System. European Journal of Operational Research, 251(1), 85-95.
- Cattani, K., Souza, G. C., and Ye, S. (2014). Shelf Loathing: Cross Docking at an Online Retailer. Production and Operations Management, 23(5), 893-906.
- DeYong, G., and Cattani, K. (2012). Well Adjusted: Using expediting and cancelation to manage store replenishment for a seasonal good. European Journal of Operational Research, 20(1), 93-105.
- Cattani, K., Jacobs, F. R., and Schoenfelder, J. (2011). Common Inventory Modeling Assumptions that Fall Short: Arborescent Networks, Poisson Demand, and Single-Echelon Approximations. Journal of Operations Management, 29(5), 488-499.
- Cattani, K., Dahan, E., and Schmidt, G. (2010). Lowest Cost May Not Lower Total Cost: Using “Spackling” to Smooth Mass-Customized Production. Production and Operations Management, 19(5), 531-545.
- Cattani, K., and Heese, S.(2009). Seeking Closure: Competition in Complementary Markets. Decision Sciences, 40(4), 817-843.
- Cattani, K., Marucheck, A., and Perdikaki, O. (2007). The Perishability of Online Grocers. Decision Sciences, 38(2), 329-355.
- Cattani, K., Gilland, W., Heese S., and Swaminathan, J. (2006). Boiling Frogs: Pricing Strategies for a Manufacturer Adding a Direct Channel that Competes with the Traditional Channel. Production and Operations Management, 15(1), 40-56.
- Cattani, K., Ferrer, G., and Gilland, W. (2003). Simultaneous Production of Market-specific and Global Products: A Two-stage Stochastic Program with Additional Demand after Recourse. Naval Research Logistics, 50(5), 438-461.
- Cattani, K., and Souza, G. C. (2003). Good Buy? Delaying End–of–Life Purchases. European Journal of Operational Research, 146(1), 216-228.
- Cattani, K., and Souza, G. C. (2002). Inventory Rationing and Shipment Flexibility Alternatives for Direct Market Firms. Production and Operations Management, 11(4), 441-457.
- Cattani, K. and Hausman, W. (2000). Why are Forecast Updates Often Disappointing? Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 2(2) 107-219.
Edited on August 4, 2020