Areas of Expertise
Service Operations Management, Healthcare Services, Supply Chain Management
- PhD, Indiana University, 1990
- MBA, Indiana University, 1986
- BS, Purdue University, 1984
- Indiana University, 1999-Present
- Senior Editor at Production and Operations Management, 2015-Present
- Indiana University, Chairperson of Doctoral Programs, Kelley School of Business, 2006-2012
- Texas A & M University, 1990-1999
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- The John & Esther Reese Professor, 2015-Present
- W. Michael & William D. Wells Life Sciences Faculty Fellow, 2013-2015
- Kimball Faculty Fellow, 2003-2013
- Jola-Sanchez, A., Pedraza-Martinez, A. J., Britto, R., and Bretthauer, K.M. (2016). Effect of Armed Conflicts on Humanitarian Operations: Total Factor Productivity and Efficiency of Rural Hospitals. Journal of Operations Management, 45(July), 73-85.
- Helm, J. E., Alaeddini, A., Stauffer, J. M., Bretthauer, K.M., and Skolarus, T. (2016). Reducing Hospital Readmissions by Integrating Empirical Prediction with Resource Optimization. Production and Operations Management, 25(2), 233-257.
- Mahar, S., Wright, P.D., Bretthauer, K.M., and Hill, R. (2014). Optimizing Marketer Costs and Consumer Benefits Across Clicks and Bricks. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42(5), 619-641.
- Bretthauer, K.M., Heese, H. S., Pun, H., and Coe, E. (2011). Blocking in Healthcare Operations: A New Heuristic and an Application. Production and Operations Management, 20(3), 375-391.
- Salzarulo, P., Bretthauer, K.M., Côté, M., and Schultz, K. (2011). The Impact of Variability and Patient Information on Healthcare System Performance. Production and Operations Management, 20(6), 848-859.
- Wright, P. D., and Bretthauer, K.M. (2010). Strategies for Addressing the Nursing Shortage: Coordinated Decision Making and Workforce Flexibility. Decision Sciences, 41(2), 373-40.
- Mahar, S., Bretthauer, K.M., and Venkataramanan, M. A. (2009). The Value of Virtual Pooling in Dual Sales Channel Supply Chains. European Journal of Operational Research, 192(2), 561-575.
- Wright, P. D., Bretthauer, K.M., and Côté, M. (2006). Reexamining the Nurse Scheduling Problem: Staffing Ratios and Nursing Shortages. Decision Sciences, 37(1), 39-70.
- Bendoly, E., Blocher, J.D., Bretthauer, K.M., Krishnan, S. and Venkataramanan, M. A. (2005). Online/In-Store Integration and Customer Retention. Journal of Service Research, 7(4), 313-327.
- Hur, D., Mabert, V., and Bretthauer, K.M. (2004). Real-Time Work Schedule Adjustment Decisions: An Investigation and Evaluation. Production and Operations Management, 13(4), 322-339.
- Bretthauer, K.M. (2000). Optimal Service and Arrival Rates in Jackson Queueing Networks. Naval Research Logistics, 47(1), 1-17.
- Bretthauer, K.M., and Côté, M. (1998). A Model for Planning Resource Requirements in Health Care Organizations. Decision Sciences, 29(1), 243-270.
- Bretthauer, K.M., and Shetty, B. (1997). Quadratic Resource Allocation with Generalized Upper Bounds. Operations Research Letters, 20(2), 51-57.
- Bretthauer, K.M., and Shetty, B. (1995). The Nonlinear Resource Allocation Problem. Operations Research, 43(4), 670-683.
Edited on January 12, 2021