Areas of Expertise
Corporate Environmentalism and Public Policy, Non-market Strategy, Risk Management, Environmental Economics
- BScS (Mathematics), Acadia University, 1986
- MA (Economics), Queen's University, 1987
- PhD (Economics), Queen's University, 1993
- Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 1993-present
- Research Professor, Richard Ivey School of Business, the University of Western Ontario, 2009 - present
- Board Member, Alliance for Research in Corporate Sustainability (ARCS), 2009 - present
- Academic Director, Lawrence National Center for Policy and Management, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, 2008-2009
- Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, 2008-2009
- Chairperson, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2006-2008, 2010 - present
- Chairperson of the International Scholars Advisory Committee to the Department of Environmental Resource and Development Economics, School of Economics, Peking University (Beijing University), 2003-present
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- FRSA. Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
- Research Fellow CCISSR (The China Center for Insurance and Social Security Research) Peking University (Beijing University)
- Senior Fellow, ZEI, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Maxwell, J. W., Heyes, A., Martin, S., Kennedy, P. W., and Kapur, S. (2020). But what does it mean? Green Labels, Consumer Learning and the Adoption of Green Technology. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 7(2), 243-277.
- Delmas, M., Lyon, T. P., and Maxwell, J. W. (2019). Understanding the Role of the Corporation in Sustainability Transitions. Organizations and the Environment, 32(2), 87-97.
- Lyon, T. P., Delmas, M., and Maxwell, J. W. (2018). CSR Needs CPR: Corporate Sustainability and Politics. California Management Review, 60(4), 5-24.
- Maxwell, J. W., and Lyon, T. P. (2016). Self-regulation and Regulatory Discretion: Why Firms may be Reluctant to Signal Green. In John M. De Figueiredo, Michael Lenox , Felix Oberholzer-Gee, Richard G. Vanden Bergh (Eds.), Advances in Strategic Management, Volume 34 (301-329). UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Lyon, T. P., and Maxwell, J. W. (2011). Greenwash: Environmental Disclosure Under Threat of Audit. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 20(1), 3-41.
- Harbaugh, R., Maxwell, J. W., and Roussillon, B. (2011). Label Confusion: The Groucho Effect of Uncertain Standards. Management Science, 57(9), 1512-1527.
- Reuveny, R., Maxwell, J. W., and Davis, J. (2011). On Conflict over Natural Resources. Ecological Economics, 70(4), 698-712.
Edited on September 3, 2020