Areas of Expertise
Legal, ethical, and policy issues in healthcare, the life sciences industry, and the business of medicine. Moral decision making and critical thinking. Ethical leadership development and cultivation of organizational cultures that promote trust, integrity and holistic flourishing.
- JD, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2002
- MTS, Vanderbilt University Divinity School, 2002
- BA, Lipscomb University, 1997
- Business litigation associate, 2002-2004
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Recipient, Outstanding Refereed Proceedings Paper Award - Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual Conference (2019)
- Recipient, IU Trustees' Teaching Award (2010, 2013, 2019)
- Recipient, Kelley School Innovative Teaching Award (2015, 2019)
- Recipient, Virginia Maurer Ethics Paper Award - Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2011, 2019)
- Finalist, Charles M. Hewitt Master Teacher Competition, Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2018)
- Elected Member, IU Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (2015)
- Recipient, Hoeber Memorial Award for Excellence in Research - American Business Law Journal (2014)
- Recipient, Best Article Award for 2012 - International Association for Business and Society (2014)
- Recipient, Distinguished Junior Faculty Award - Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2013)
- Recipient, Jesse Fine Fellowship in Practical Ethics (2013)
- Recipient, Hoeber Memorial Award (recognizing the most outstanding article in volume 49) - American Business Law Journal (2012)
- Recipient, Best Published Life Sciences Paper Award - Center for the Business of Life Sciences, Kelley School of Business (2009)
- Stemler, A., Perry, J., and Haugh, T. The Code of the Platform, 54 Georgia Law Review 605 (2020).
- Perry, J. E., and Langvardt, A. W. Political Figures and the Appropriation of Others’ Music: Legal and Ethical Perspectives. 10 Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law 25 (2019).
- Langvardt, A. W., Barnes, A. J., Prenkert, J. D., McCrory, M. A., and Perry, J. E. (2018). Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment (17th edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Perry, J. E. and Kahn, H. E. Guest Editor Introduction: Ethics, Cultural Norms, Pedagogy, and International Business, 61 Business Horizons 811 (2018).
- Perry, J. E., and Thompson, D. B. (2017). Law and Ethics in the Business of Healthcare. Eagan, MN: West Academic.
- Perry, J. E. Book Review: The Rise of Corporate Religious Liberty. 27 Business Ethics Quarterly 155 (2017).
- Perry, J. E. The People’s NIH? Ethical and Legal Concerns in Crowdfunded Biomedical Research. 29 Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics, and Public Policy 451 (2015).
- Perry, J. E., Cox, D. S., and Cox, A. D. Trust and Transparency: Patient Perceptions of Physicians’ Financial Relationships with Pharmaceutical Companies. 42 Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 475 (2014).
- Bishop, J., Perry, J. E., and Hine, A. Efficient, Compassionate, and Fractured: Contemporary Care in the ICU. 44 The Hastings Center Report 35 (2014).
- Churchill, L. R., and Perry, J. E. Guest Editor Introduction: Buying and Selling Health Care, 42 Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 408 (2014)
- Perry, J. E. Before the Mandate: Cultivating an Organizational Culture of Trust and Integrity. 13 American Journal of Bioethics 42 (2013).
- Perry, J. E., Cox, A. D., and Cox, D. S. Direct-to Consumer Drug Advertisements and the Informed Patient: A Legal, Ethical, and Content Analysis. 50 American Business Law Journal 729 (2013).
- Perry, J. E. Physician-Owned Specialty Hospitals and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Health Care Reform at the Intersection of Law and Ethics. 49 American Business Law Journal 369 (2012).
- Perry, J. E., and Prenkert, J. D. Charting a Course to Effective Business Education: Lessons from Academically Adrift and Rethinking Undergraduate Business Education. 29 Journal of Legal Studies Education 127 (2012).
- Perry, J. E. Managing Moral Distress: A Strategy for Resolving Ethical Dilemmas. 54 Business Horizons 393 (2011).
- Perry, J. E., and Stone, R. In the Business of Dying: Questioning the Commercialization of Hospice. 39 Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 224 (2011).
- Perry, J. E., Bishop, J., Brothers, K., and Ahmad, A. Revisiting CPR/DNR: Have the Policies Outlived Their Utility? 10 American Journal of Bioethics 61 (2010).
- Perry, J. E., and Bishop, J. Life, Death (Panels), and the Body Politic. 61 Syracuse Law Review 25 (2010).
- Perry, J. E. The Ethical Costs of Commercializing the Professions: First-Person Narratives From the Legal and Medical Trenches. 13 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law & Social Change 169 (2010).
- Perry, J. E. A Missed Opportunity: Health Care Reform, Rhetoric, Ethics, and Economics at the End of Life. 29 Mississippi College Law Review 409 (2010).
- Perry, J. E. An Obituary for Physician-Owned, Specialty Hospitals. 23 The Health Lawyer 24 (2010).
- Perry, J. E., Moore, I., Barry, B., Wright Clayton, E., and Carrico, A. The Ethical Health Lawyer: An Empirical Assessment of Moral Decision Making. 37 Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 461 (2009).
- Perry, J. E., and Galbraith, K. L. Saturday Morning in the Clinic 39 The Hastings Center Report 24 (2009).
- Perry, J. E. Thinking Like a Professional. 58 Journal of Legal Education 159 (2008).
- Perry, J. E. Biopolitics at the Bedside: Proxy Wars and Feeding Tubes. 28 Journal of Legal Medicine 171 (2007).
- Perry, J. E. Biblical BioPolitics: Judicial Process, Religious Rhetoric, Terri Schiavo and Beyond. 16 Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine 553 (2006).
- Perry, J. E., Churchill, L., and Kirshner, H. The Terri Schiavo Case: Legal, Ethical and Medical Perspectives. 143 Annals of Internal Medicine 744 (2005).
Edited on August 24, 2020