Areas of Expertise
Legal, ethical, and policy issues in healthcare, the life sciences industry, and the business of medicine. Moral decision making and critical thinking. Professional ethics.
- JD, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2002
- MTS, Vanderbilt University Divinity School, 2002
- BA, Lipscomb University, 1997
- Business litigation associate, 2002-2004
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Recipient, Outstanding Refereed Proceedings Paper Award - Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual Conference (2019)
- Recipient, IU Trustees' Teaching Award (2010, 2013, 2019)
- Recipient, Kelley School Innovative Teaching Award (2015, 2019)
- Recipient, Virginia Maurer Ethics Paper Award - Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2011, 2019)
- Finalist, Charles M. Hewitt Master Teacher Competition, Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2018)
- Elected Member, IU Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (2015)
- Recipient, Hoeber Memorial Award for Excellence in Research - American Business Law Journal (2014)
- Recipient, Best Article Award for 2012 - International Association for Business and Society (2014)
- Recipient, Distinguished Junior Faculty Award - Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2013)
- Recipient, Jesse Fine Fellowship in Practical Ethics (2013)
- Recipient, Hoeber Memorial Award (recognizing the most outstanding article in volume 49) - American Business Law Journal (2012)
- Recipient, Best Published Life Sciences Paper Award - Center for the Business of Life Sciences, Kelley School of Business (2009)
- Stemler, A., Perry, J., and Haugh, T. The Code of the Platform, 54 Georgia Law Review 605 (2020).
- Perry, J. E., and Langvardt, A. W. Political Figures and the Appropriation of Others’ Music: Legal and Ethical Perspectives. 20 Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law 25 (2019).
- Langvardt, A. W., Barnes, A. J., Prenkert, J. D., McCrory, M. A., and Perry, J. E. (2018). Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment (17th edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Perry, J. E. and Kahn, H. E. Guest Editor Introduction: Ethics, Cultural Norms, Pedagogy, and International Business, 61 Business Horizons 811 (2018).
- Perry, J. E., and Thompson, D. B. (2017). Law and Ethics in the Business of Healthcare. Eagan, MN: West Academic.
- Perry, J. E. Book Review: The Rise of Corporate Religious Liberty. 27 Business Ethics Quarterly 155 (2017).
- Perry, J. E. The People’s NIH? Ethical and Legal Concerns in Crowdfunded Biomedical Research. 29 Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics, and Public Policy 451 (2015).
- Perry, J. E., Cox, D. S., and Cox, A. D. Trust and Transparency: Patient Perceptions of Physicians’ Financial Relationships with Pharmaceutical Companies. 42 Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 475 (2014).
- Bishop, J., Perry, J. E., and Hine, A. Efficient, Compassionate, and Fractured: Contemporary Care in the ICU. 44 The Hastings Center Report 35 (2014).
- Churchill, L. R., and Perry, J. E. Guest Editor Introduction: Buying and Selling Health Care, 42 Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 408 (2014)
- Perry, J. E. Before the Mandate: Cultivating an Organizational Culture of Trust and Integrity. 13 American Journal of Bioethics 42 (2013).
- Perry, J. E., Cox, A. D., and Cox, D. S. Direct-to Consumer Drug Advertisements and the Informed Patient: A Legal, Ethical, and Content Analysis. 50 American Business Law Journal 729 (2013).
- Perry, J. E. Physician-Owned Specialty Hospitals and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Health Care Reform at the Intersection of Law and Ethics. 49 American Business Law Journal 369 (2012).
- Perry, J. E., and Prenkert, J. D. Charting a Course to Effective Business Education: Lessons from Academically Adrift and Rethinking Undergraduate Business Education. 29 Journal of Legal Studies Education 127 (2012).
- Perry, J. E. Managing Moral Distress: A Strategy for Resolving Ethical Dilemmas. 54 Business Horizons 393 (2011).
- Perry, J. E., and Stone, R. In the Business of Dying: Questioning the Commercialization of Hospice. 39 Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 224 (2011).
- Perry, J. E., Bishop, J., Brothers, K., and Ahmad, A. Revisiting CPR/DNR: Have the Policies Outlived Their Utility? 10 American Journal of Bioethics 61 (2010).
- Perry, J. E., and Bishop, J. Life, Death (Panels), and the Body Politic. 61 Syracuse Law Review 25 (2010).
- Perry, J. E. The Ethical Costs of Commercializing the Professions: First-Person Narratives From the Legal and Medical Trenches. 13 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law & Social Change 169 (2010).
- Perry, J. E. A Missed Opportunity: Health Care Reform, Rhetoric, Ethics, and Economics at the End of Life. 29 Mississippi College Law Review 409 (2010).
- Perry, J. E. An Obituary for Physician-Owned, Specialty Hospitals. 23 The Health Lawyer 24 (2010).
- Perry, J. E., Moore, I., Barry, B., Wright Clayton, E., and Carrico, A. The Ethical Health Lawyer: An Empirical Assessment of Moral Decision Making. 37 Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 461 (2009).
- Perry, J. E., and Galbraith, K. L. Saturday Morning in the Clinic 39 The Hastings Center Report 24 (2009).
- Perry, J. E. Thinking Like a Professional. 58 Journal of Legal Education 159 (2008).
- Perry, J. E. Biopolitics at the Bedside: Proxy Wars and Feeding Tubes. 28 Journal of Legal Medicine 171 (2007).
- Perry, J. E. Biblical BioPolitics: Judicial Process, Religious Rhetoric, Terri Schiavo and Beyond. 16 Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine 553 (2006).
- Perry, J. E., Churchill, L., and Kirshner, H. The Terri Schiavo Case: Legal, Ethical and Medical Perspectives. 143 Annals of Internal Medicine 744 (2005).
Edited on September 6, 2023