Areas of Expertise
Industrial Organization, Applied Econometrics, Strategy, Regulation
- PhD, Northwestern University , 2004
- MA, Northwestern University, 2000
- BS, Miami University, 1998
- BA, Miami University, 1998
- Assistant and Associate Professor, Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University, 2004-2010
- Lecturer, Cornell Adult University, 2007. Gaming: In the Casino and Beyond
- UNEXT, Consultant and Co-author for Online Masters Business Course in Vertical Integration, Chicago, Illinois, 2001
- National Security Agency, Cryptologic Mathematician in Director's Summer Program, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland, 1998
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Best Research Poster, Research Conference on Communications, Information and Internet Policy, 2015
- Trustees Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, 2015
- Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Information Economics and Policy, 2014
- Innovative Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, 2012
- Time Warner Research Stipend
- Young Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Cornell University 2008
- Cornell Institute for the Social Sciences Small Grant Award
- Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award, Northwestern University, 2001 - 2004
- Oustanding Graduate Student Teacher Award, Northwestern University
- Baye, M. R., and Prince, J. (2020). The Economics of Digital Platforms: A Guide for Regulators. The GAI Report on the Digital Economy, in press.
- Freedman, S., Lin, H., and Prince, J. (2018). Information Technology and Patient Health: Analyzing Outcomes, Populations, and Mechanisms. American Journal of Health Economics, 4(1), 51-79.
- Freedman, S., Lin, H., and Prince, J. (2018). Does Competition Lead to Agglomeration or Dispersion in EMR Vendor Decisions? Review of Industrial Organization, 53(1), 57-79.
- Prince, J., and Greenstein, S. (2017). Measuring Consumer Preferences for Video Content Provision via Cord-Cutting Behavior. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 26(2), 293-317.
- Prince, J., and Simon, D. (2017). The Impact of Mergers on Quality Provision: Evidence from the Airline Industry. Journal of Industrial Economics, 65(2), 336-362.
- Lin, H., and Prince, J. (2016). Determinants of Private Long-Term Care Insurance Purchase in Response to the Partnership Program. Health Services Research, 51(2), 687-703.
- Simon, D., and Prince, J. (2016). The Effect of Competition on Toxic Pollution Releases. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 79, 40-54.
- Prince, J., and Simon, D. (2015). Do Incumbents Improve Service Quality in Response to Entry: Evidence from Airlines’ On-Time Performance. Management Science, 61(2), 372-390.
- Prince, J., Kadiyali, V., and Simon, D. (2014). Is Dual Agency in Real Estate a Cause for Concern? Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 48(1), 164-195.
- Prince, J., and Greenstein, S. (2014). Does Service Bundling Reduce Churn? Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 23(4), 839-875.
- Kim, J.-H., Prince, J., and Qui, C. (2014). Indirect Network Effects and the Quality Dimension: A Look at the Gaming Industry. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 37(6), 99-108.
- Lin, H., and Prince, J. (2013). The Impact of the Partnership Long-Term Care Insurance Program on Private Coverage and Medicaid Expenditures. Journal of Health Economics, 32(6), 1205-1213.
- Lucrarelli, C., Prince, J., and Simon, K. (2012). The Welfare Impact of Reducing Choice in Medicare Part D: A Comparison of Two Regulation Strategies. International Economic Review, 53(4), 1155–1177.
- Fowdur, L., Kadiyali, V., and Prince, J. (2012). Racial Bias in Expert Quality Assessment: A Study of Newspaper Movie Reviews. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 84(1), 292-307.
- Prince, J., (2011). Relating Inertia and Experience in Technology Markets: An Analysis of Households’ Personal Computer Choices. Applied Economics, 43(29): 4501-4514.
- Prince, J., and Shawhan, D. (2011). Is Time Inconsistency Primarily a Male Problem? Applied Economics Letters, 18(6), 501-504.
- Barseghyan, L., Prince, J., and Teitelbaum, J. (2011). Are Risk Preferences Stable across Contexts? Evidence from Insurance Data. American Economic Review, 101(2), 591–631.
- Prince, J., and Simon, D. (2009). Has the Internet Accelerated the Diffusion of New Products? Research Policy, 38(8), 1269-1277.
- Prince, J. (2009). How Do Households Choose Quality and Time to Replacement for a Rapidly Improving Durable Good? International Journal of Industrial Organization, 27(2), 302-311.
- Prince, J., and Simon, D. (2009). Multi-market Contact and Service Quality: Evidence from On-Time Performance in the US Airline Industry. Academy of Management Journal, 52(2), 336-354.
- Prince, J. (2008). Repeat Purchase amid Rapid Quality Improvement: Structural Estimation of the Demand for Personal Computers. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 17(1), 1-33.
- Goldfarb, A.. and Prince, J. (2008). Internet Adoption Patterns and Usage are Different: Implications for the Digital Divide. Information Economics and Policy, 20(1), 2-15.
- Prince, J. (2007). The Beginning of Online/Retail Competition and Its Origins: An Application to Personal Computers. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 25(1), 139-156.
Edited on September 3, 2020