Areas of Expertise
Global Strategy, Innovation, International Corporate Governance, Emerging Markets
- Ph.D. in Strategy and International Business, University of Miami, 2018
- M.S. in Strategic Management, Sun Yat-sen University, 2010
- B.A. in Management, South China University of Technology, 2008
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Women in the Academy of International Business Emerging Scholar Award, 2022
- FACET’s Mumford Excellence in Extraordinary Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2021
- GWU-CIBER Best Paper on Emerging Markets, Academy of Management 2019 Annual Meeting International Management Division
- Best Paper Award on Emerging Economies Research, Academy of International Business 2019 Annual Meeting
- Award of Academic Merit, University of Miami, 2018
- National Fellowship for Studying Abroad, Ministry of Education of China, 2009-2010
- National Fellowship for Excellent Graduate Students, Sun Yat-sen University, 2008-2010
- National Silver Award in the 5th China “Challenge Cup” New Ventures Plan Competition, 2006
- Bu, J., Zhao, E. Y., Li, K., and Li, J. (2022). Multilevel optimal distinctiveness: Examining the impact of within- and between-organization distinctiveness of product design on market performance. Strategic Management Journal, 43(9), 1793-1822.
- Bu, J., Luo, Y., & Zhang, H. (2022). The dark side of informal institutions: How crime, corruption, and informality influence foreign firms' commitment. Global Strategy Journal, 12(2), 209-244.
- Bu, J., Tang, Y., Luo, Y., and Li, C. (2022) Learning from inbound foreign acquisitions for outbound expansion by emerging market MNEs, Journal of International Business Studies, in press.
- Bu, J., & Cuervo-Cazurra, A. (2020). Informality costs: Informal entrepreneurship and innovation in emerging economies. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 14(3), 329-368.
- Luo, Y., Zhang, H., & Bu, J. (2019). Developed country MNEs investing in developing economies: Progress and prospect. Journal of International Business Studies, 50(4), 633–667.
- Luo, Y., & Bu, J. (2018). Contextualizing international strategy by emerging market firms: A composition-based approach. Journal of World Business, 53(3), 337-355.
- Luo, Y., & Bu, J. (2018). When are emerging market multinationals more risk taking? Global Strategy Journal, 8(4), 635-664.
- Luo, Y., & Bu, J. (2016). How valuable is information and communication technology? A study of emerging economy enterprises. Journal of World Business, 51(2), 200-211.
Edited on September 1, 2022