Areas of Expertise
Employment Discrimination, Workplace Harassment and Retaliation, Religion in the Workplace, and Business and Human Rights
- JD, Magna Cum Laude, Harvard Law School
- BA, Summa Cum Laude, Anderson University
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission , Senior Trial Attorney
- Baker & Daniels, Indianapolis, IN, Associate
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Poets & Quants’ Top 40 Undergraduate Business Professor, 2017
- IU Trustees’ Teaching Award, winner 2015, finalist 2008, 2011
- Ralph J. Bunche Award for the Outstanding International Paper, 2013
- Distinguished Proceedings Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2013
- Best Conference Paper Award, Pacific Southwest Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2012
- Fellow, 2009-2010 Multidisciplinary Workshop on Empathy sponsored by IU Poynter Center and the Institute for Advanced Study
- Kelley School of Business Outstanding Research Award, 2008
- Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Outstanding Article in AMERICAN BUSINESS LAW JOURNAL, 2006
- Best Conference Paper Award, Mid-Atlantic Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2006
- Harry C. Sauvain Undergraduate Teaching Award, winner 2007, nominee 2006, 2010-2011
- Memorable Faculty Award, selected by 2009 graduating class of Kelley School of Business
- Charles M. Hewitt Master Teacher Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2005
- Kelley School of Business Innovative Teaching Award, 2003, nominee 2007
- IU Student Alumni Association Student Choice Award, nominee, 2003-2005, 2008-2011
- Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, Anderson University, 2005
- Heyman Fellowship, Harvard Law School
- Langvardt, A. W., Barnes, A. J., Prenkert, J. D., McCrory, M. A., and Perry, J. E. (2018). Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment (17th edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Dayton, K. G., Koster, K., Prenkert, J. D., and Ridlon, R. Short-Term International Business Immersion Courses: Short-Term Program, Long-Term Effects? 61 Business Horizons 903 (2018).
- Prenkert, J. D., Shackelford, S. J., and Fort, T. How Businesses Can Promote Cyber Peace. 36 University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law 353 (2015).
- Prenkert, J. D., Hayford, S. L., and Raymond, A. Employment Arbitration at the Crossroads: An Assessment and Call for Action. 2014 Journal of Dispute Resolution 255 (2014).
- Prenkert, J. D. (2013). Self-Regulation Regimes and the UN Guiding Principles. Law, Business, and Human Rights: Bridging the Gap, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
- Prenkert, J. D., Manning Magid, J., and Fetter-Harrott, A. Retaliatory Disclosure: When Identifying the Complainant Is an Adverse Action. 91 North Carolina Law Review 889 (2013).
- Prenkert, J. D., Bird, R., Cahoy, D. R., Gabel, J. T. A., and Greene, S. The American Business Law Journal at Fifty: Past, Present, and Future, 50 American Business Law Journal 159 (2013).
- Prenkert, J. D. Perspectives on Teaching: On Being a “Scholarly” Teacher. 30 Journal of Legal Studies Education 195 (2013).
- Perry, J. E., and Prenkert, J. D. Charting a Course to Effective Business Education: Lessons from Academically Adrift and Rethinking Undergraduate Business Education. 29 Journal of Legal Studies Education 127 (2012).
- Prenkert, J. D. Editor’s Corner: Law, Business, and Parenting in a Connected World. 49 American Business Law Journal v (2012).
- Prenkert, J. D. Editor’s Corner: Business Law’s 'Big Tent.' 49 American Business Law Journal v (2012).
- Prenkert, J. D. (2012). Chapter 51: Employment Law. In Jane P. Mallor, et al. (Eds.), Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment (15th Edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Prenkert, J. D. (2012). McGraw-Hill 'Connect.' Online supplementary materials for Jane P. Mallor et al. (Eds.), Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment (15th Edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Prenkert, J. D. Handle with Care: Avoiding and Managing Retaliation Claims. 55 Business Horizons 409 (2012).
- Prenkert, J. D. (2011). Retaliatory Disclosure. 2011 Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual Conference. New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Prenkert, J. D. Censorship, Compelled Speech, and Marketing Sexually Explicit Video Games. 36 Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 438 (2008).
- Prenkert, J. D. The Role of Second-Order Uniformity in Disparate Treatment Law: McDonnell Douglas’s Longevity and the Mixed-Motives Mess. 45 American Business Law Journal 511 (2008).
- Prenkert, J. D. Bizarro Statutory Stare Decisis. 28 Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law 219 (2007).
- Prenkert, J. D., and Manning Magid, J. A Hobson’s Choice Model for Religious Accommodation Under Title VII. 43 American Business Law Journal 467 (2006).
- Manning Magid, J., and Prenkert, J. D. The Religious and Associational Freedoms of Business Owners. 7 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Labor and Employment Law 191 (2005). Reprinted in 3 International Journal of Civil Society Law 14 (2005).
- Prenkert, J. D. Liberty, Diversity, Academic Freedom, and Survival: Preferential Hiring Among Religiously-Affiliated Institutions of Higher Education. 22 Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal 1 (2004).
Edited on August 1, 2022