Areas of Expertise
Digitalization in organizations and society, including healthcare contexts; IT-enabled organizational change; IT use, adaptation, and impacts; enterprise systems implementation
- PhD, Information Systems, University of Arkansas, 2008
- MBA, Texas Tech University, 2003
- MS, Information Systems, Texas Tech University, 2002
- BBA, Institute of Business Administration (IBA), University of Dhaka, 1999
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2019-present, Senior Editor
- MIS Quarterly, 2019-present, Guest Associate Editor
- Information Systems Research, 2014-15, Associate Editor
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2015-19, Editorial Review Board
- Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST), INFORMS, 2013-present, Program Committee
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), 2015, Track Chair
- Decision Sciences, 2008-2010, Editorial Review Board
- International Conference on Information Systems(ICIS), 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, Associate Editor
- Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS), 2009, 2013, Track Chair
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Nominated for the Trustees' Teaching Award in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2018 at the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Faculty Distinguished Teaching Award 2015, Doctoral Program, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Citation of Excellence Award 2012 and 2014 by Emerald Management Reviews
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Scrum Alliance, 2015-present
- TOGAF 9 Certified Enterprise Architecture, The Open Group, 2015-present
- Certified ERPsim Level 2 Trainer (for SAP), ERPSim Lab, HEC Montréal, 2013-present
- Nominated for the Harry C. Sauvain Teaching Award in 2011
- Best Published Life Sciences Paper in 2008 Award by the Center for Busniess in life Sciences (CBLS), Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Bala, H., and Bhagwatwar, A. (2018). Employee Dispositions to Job and Organization as Antecedents and Consequences of Information Systems Use. Information Systems Journal, 28(4), 650-683.
- Bala, H., Massey, A., and Montoya, M. M. (2017). The Effects of Process Orientations on Collaboration Technology Use and Outcomes in Product Development. Journal of Management Information Systems, 34(2), 520-559.
- Bala, H., and Venkatesh, V. (2016). Adaptation to information technology: a holistic nomological network from implementation to job outcomes. Management Science, 62(1), 156-179.
- Venkatesh, V., Bala, H., and Sambamurthy V. (2016). Implementation of an Information and Communication Technology in a Developing Country: A Multi-Method Longitudinal Study in a Bank in India. Information Systems Research, 27(3), 558-579.
- Matook, S., J. Cummings, and H. Bala (2015). Are You Lonely?: The Impact of Relationship Characteristics and Online Social Network Features on Loneliness. Journal of Management Information Systems, 31(5), 278-310.
- Bala, H., and Venkatesh, V. (2013). Changes in Employees’ Job Characteristics during an Enterprise System Implementation: A Latent Growth Modeling Perspective. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1113-1140.
- Bala, H. (2013). The Effects of IT-Enabled Supply Chain Process Change on Job and Process Outcomes: A Longitudinal Investigation. Journal of Operations Management, 31(6), 450-473.
- Venkatesh, V., Brown, S. A., and Bala, H. (2013). Bridging the Qualitative-Quantitative Divide: Guidelines for Conducting Mixed Methods Research in Information Systems. MIS Quarterly, 37(1), 21-54.
- Venkatesh, V., and Bala, H. (2012). Adoption and Impacts of Interorganizational Business Process Standards: Role of Partnering Synergy. Information Systems Research, 23(4), 1131-1157.
- Venkatesh, V., Bala, H., and Sykes T. (2010). Impacts of Information and Communication Technology Implementations on Employees’ Jobs in Service Organizations in India: A Multi-Method Longitudinal Field Study. Production and Operations Management, 19(5), 591-613.
- Venkatesh, V., and Bala, H. (2008). Technology Acceptance Model 3 and a Research Agenda on Interventions. Decision Sciences, 39(2), 273-315.
- Venkatesh, V., Brown, S.A., Maruping, L. and Bala, JH. (2008). Predicting Different Conceptualizations of System Use: The Competing Roles of Behavioral Intention, Facilitating Conditions, and Behavioral Expectation. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 483-502.
- Bala, H., and Venkatesh, V. (2007). Assimilation of Interorganizational Business Process Standards. Information Systems Research, 18(3), 340-362.
Edited on January 15, 2021