Areas of Expertise
Digitalization in organizations and society, including healthcare contexts; IT-enabled organizational change; IT use, adaptation, and impacts; enterprise systems implementation
- PhD, Information Systems, University of Arkansas, 2008
- MBA, Texas Tech University, 2003
- MS, Information Systems, Texas Tech University, 2002
- BBA, Institute of Business Administration (IBA), University of Dhaka, 1999
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2019-present, Senior Editor
- MIS Quarterly, 2019-present, Guest Associate Editor
- Information Systems Research, 2014-15, Associate Editor
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2015-19, Editorial Review Board
- Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST), INFORMS, 2013-present, Program Committee
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), 2015, Track Chair
- Decision Sciences, 2008-2010, Editorial Review Board
- International Conference on Information Systems(ICIS), 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, Associate Editor
- Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS), 2009, 2013, Track Chair
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Research Award 2022, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- 2nd Runner-Up Award, Best Completed Research Paper, the Twenty-First Workshop on e-Business, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), December 09-14, 2022, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Nominated for the Exceptional Inspiration and Guidance Award in 2021, Doctoral Student Association, the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Most cited and downloaded paper (Venkatesh and Bala 2008) in the 50-year history of Decision Sciences (officially recognized and awarded by the Journal in 2020)
- Nominated for the Trustees' Teaching Award in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2018 at the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Faculty Distinguished Teaching Award 2015, Doctoral Program, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Citation of Excellence Award 2012 and 2014 by Emerald Management Reviews
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Scrum Alliance, 2015-present
- TOGAF 9 Certified Enterprise Architecture, The Open Group, 2015-present
- Certified ERPsim Level 2 Trainer (for SAP), ERPsim Lab, HEC Montréal, 2013-present
- Nominated for the Harry C. Sauvain Teaching Award in 2011
- Best Published Life Sciences Paper in 2008 Award by the Center for the Business of Life Sciences (CBLS), Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
- Lakhiwal, A., Bala, H., and Léger, P.-M. (2023). Ambivalence is Better than Indifference: Behavioral and Neurophysiological Assessment of Ambivalence in Online Environments. MIS Quarterly, 47(2), 705-732.
- Cheng, X., Bala, H., and Yang, M. (2023). Engaging Users on Social Media Business Pages: The Roles of User Comments and Firm Responses. MIS Quarterly, in press.
- Samuel, B., Bala, H., Sherae, D., and Venkataraman, R. (2022). Deconstructing the Nature of Collaboration in Organizations Open Source Software Development: The Impact of Developer and Task Characteristics. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 48(10), 3969-3987.
- Singh, P., Bala, H., Dey, B. L., and Filieri, R. (2022). Enforced Remote Working: The Impact of Digital Platform-induced Stress and Remote Working Experience on Technology Exhaustion and Subjective Wellbeing. Journal of Business Research, 151, 269-286.
- Venkatesh, V., Speier-Pero, C., Aljafari, R., and Bala, H. (2022). IT Use and Job Outcomes: A Longitudinal Field Study of Technology Contingencies. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 23(5), 1184-1210.
- Bala, H., Hossain, M., Bhagwatwar, A., and Feng, X. (2021). Ownership and Governance, Scope, and Empowerment: How Does Context Affect Enterprise Systems Implementation in Organizations in the Arab World? European Journal of Information Systems, 30(4), 425-451.
- Bala, H., and Bhagwatwar, A. (2018). Employee Dispositions to Job and Organization as Antecedents and Consequences of Information Systems Use. Information Systems Journal, 28(4), 650-683.
- Bala, H., Massey, A., and Montoya, M. M. (2017). The Effects of Process Orientations on Collaboration Technology Use and Outcomes in Product Development. Journal of Management Information Systems, 34(2), 520-559.
- Bala, H., and Venkatesh, V. (2016). Adaptation to information technology: a holistic nomological network from implementation to job outcomes. Management Science, 62(1), 156-179.
- Venkatesh, V., Bala, H., and Sambamurthy V. (2016). Implementation of an Information and Communication Technology in a Developing Country: A Multi-Method Longitudinal Study in a Bank in India. Information Systems Research, 27(3), 558-579.
- Matook, S., J. Cummings, and H. Bala (2015). Are You Lonely?: The Impact of Relationship Characteristics and Online Social Network Features on Loneliness. Journal of Management Information Systems, 31(5), 278-310.
- Bala, H., and Venkatesh, V. (2013). Changes in Employees’ Job Characteristics during an Enterprise System Implementation: A Latent Growth Modeling Perspective. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1113-1140.
- Bala, H. (2013). The Effects of IT-Enabled Supply Chain Process Change on Job and Process Outcomes: A Longitudinal Investigation. Journal of Operations Management, 31(6), 450-473.
- Venkatesh, V., Brown, S. A., and Bala, H. (2013). Bridging the Qualitative-Quantitative Divide: Guidelines for Conducting Mixed Methods Research in Information Systems. MIS Quarterly, 37(1), 21-54.
- Venkatesh, V., and Bala, H. (2012). Adoption and Impacts of Interorganizational Business Process Standards: Role of Partnering Synergy. Information Systems Research, 23(4), 1131-1157.
- Venkatesh, V., Bala, H., and Sykes T. (2010). Impacts of Information and Communication Technology Implementations on Employees’ Jobs in Service Organizations in India: A Multi-Method Longitudinal Field Study. Production and Operations Management, 19(5), 591-613.
- Venkatesh, V., and Bala, H. (2008). Technology Acceptance Model 3 and a Research Agenda on Interventions. Decision Sciences, 39(2), 273-315.
- Venkatesh, V., Brown, S.A., Maruping, L. and Bala, JH. (2008). Predicting Different Conceptualizations of System Use: The Competing Roles of Behavioral Intention, Facilitating Conditions, and Behavioral Expectation. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 483-502.
- Bala, H., and Venkatesh, V. (2007). Assimilation of Interorganizational Business Process Standards. Information Systems Research, 18(3), 340-362.
Edited on August 17, 2023