Areas of Expertise
Banking and Bank Regulation
- PhD, Indiana University, 1983
- MBA, Indiana University, 1982
- MA, Northern Illinois University, 1973
- BA, DePauw University, 1968
- U.S. Army, 1969-1972, 1st Lieutenant, Adjutant General Corps.
- National Boulevard Bank, Chicago, 1974-1977, Commercial Loan Officer
- Marina Bank (LaSalle Group), Chicago, 1978-1979, Vice President
- Stern School of Business, New York University, 1983-1998, Professor of Finance and Director William R. Berkley Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 1998 -, Chase Chair of Banking and Finance
- Current/Past Consultant and/or Visiting Scholar to: Bank of Japan, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, International Finance Corporation, OECD, Riksbank, Peoples Bank of China, World Bank
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Associate Editor, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking
- Associate Editor, Journal of Banking and Finance (1994-2007)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Services Research
- Board of Directors, Financial Management Association
- Associate Editor, The Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance and Business Ventures
- Editorial Board, Business Horizons
- Secretary/Treasurer, Financial Intermediation Research Society
- Indiana University 2015 Distinguished Faculty Research Lecture Award
- Carbo-Valverde, S., Rodriguez-Fernandez, F., and Udell, G. F. (2016). Trade Credit, the Financial Crisis, and SME Access to Finance. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 48(1), 113-143.
- Presbitero, A. F., Udell, G. F., and Zazzaro, A. (2014). The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 46(s1): 53-85.
- Muñoz, M. I., Norden, L., and Udell, G. F. (2014). Liberalization and Risk Taking: Evidence from Government-Controlled Banks. Review of Finance, 18(4), 1217-1257.
- Uchida, H., Udell, G. F., and Watanabe, W. (2013). Are Trade Creditors Relationship Lenders. Japan and the World Economy, 25-26, 24-38.
- Ongena, S., Popov, A., and Udell, G. F. (2013). When the Cat’s Away the Mice Will Play: Does Regulation at Home Affect Bank Risk-taking Abroad. Journal of Financial Economics, 108(3), 727-750.
- Uchida, H., Udell, G. F., and Yamori, N. (2012). Loan Officers and Relationship Lending to SMEs. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 21(1), 97-122.
- Udell, G. F., and Popov, A. (2012). Cross-Border Banking, Credit Access and the Financial Crisis. Journal of International Economics, 87(1), 147-161.
- Kano, M., Uchida, H., Udell, G. F., and Watanabe, W. (2011). Information Verifiability, Bank Organization, Bank Competition and Bank-Borrower Relationships. Journal of Banking and Finance, 35(5), 935-954.
- Radhakrishnan G., Udell, G. F., and Yerramill, V. (2011). Why Do Firms Form New Banking Relationships? Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 46(5), 1335-1365.
- Carbo-Valverde, S., Rodriguez-Fernandez, F., and Udell, G. F. (2009). Bank Market Power and SME Financing Constraints. Review of Finance, 13, 309-340.
- Berger, A. N., and Udell, G. F. (2004). The Institutional Memory Hypothesis and the Procyclicality of Bank Lending Behavior. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 13(4), 458-495.
- Berger, A. N., and Udell, G. F. (1995). Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance. Journal of Business, 68(3), 351-381.
- Udell, G. F., and Berger, A. N. (1994). Did Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a 'Credit Crunch' in the U.S.. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 26, 585-628. Reprinted in Maximilian J.B. Hall (ed.) (2000), The Regulation and Supervision of Banks, Edward Elgar.
- Berger, A. N., and Udell, G. F. (1992). Some Evidence on the Empirical Significance of Credit Rationing. Journal of Political Economy, 100(5), 1047-1077. Reprinted in New Theories of Market Failure: A Critical Examination (2003), Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.
Edited on February 7, 2022