Areas of Expertise
Antitrust law, intellectual property law, labor issues in the professional sports industry, patent law, sports law.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 2005
- B.S., Ohio University, 2002
- Associate Professor of Legal Studies, Terry College of Business, University of Georgia, 2015-2017
- Assistant Professor of Legal Studies, Terry College of Business, University of Georgia, 2009-2015
- Associate Attorney, Crowell & Moring LLP, Washington, D.C., 2005-2009
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Holmes-Cardozo Award for Distinguished Submitted Conference Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2020
- Jackson Lewis Outstanding Employment Law Paper Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2020
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, American Business Law Journal, 2020
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2019
- SABR Baseball Research Award, Society for American Baseball Research, 2019
- SEALSB Best Proceedings Paper Award, Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2018
- Finalist, Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2018
- Co-recipient, Larry Ritter Book Award, Society for American Baseball Research, 2015
- Recipient, Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2015
- Recipient, David J. Langum, Sr. Prize in American Legal History, The Langum Charitable Trust, 2014
- Recipient, Distinguished Junior Faculty Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2014
- Recipient, Junior Scholar Award, Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2012
- Recipient, Holmes-Cardozo Award for Outstanding Submitted Conference Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2011
- Recipient, Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2011
- Recipient, Best Proceedings Paper, Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2010
- Grow, N. Free Agency for the Front Office: How Data Analytics and Non-Compete Agreements Threaten to Disrupt Competitive Balance in U.S. Professional Sports Leagues. 58 American Business Law Journal 121 (2021).
- Grow, N., and Haugh, T. Assessing the NCAA as a Compliance Organization. XX Wisconsin Law Review XX (in press 2021).
- Grow, N., and Shackelford, S. J. The Sport of Cybersecurity: How Professional Sports Leagues Can Better Protect the Competitive Integrity of Their Games. 61 Boston College Law Review 473 (2020).
- Grow, N. The Save America’s Pastime Act: Special-Interest Legislation Epitomized. 90 U. of Colorado Law Review 1015 (2019).
- Grow, N. (2018). The Enduring Power of the Sports Broadcasting Act. The Oxford Handbook of American Sports Law. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Grow, N., and Flagel, Z. The Faulty Law and Economics of the 'Baseball Rule,' 60 William & Mary Law Review 59 (2018).
- Grow, L., and Grow, N. Protecting Big Data in the Big Leagues: Trade Secrets in Professional Sports. 74 Washington & Lee Law Review 1567 (2017).
- Flagel, Z., and Grow, N. Getting in the Game: The Demographics of Professional Sports Team In-House Legal Counsel. 7 Mississippi Sports Law Review 23 (2017).
- Grow, N. Resolving the Divided Patent Infringement Dilemma. 50 Michigan Journal of Law Reform 1 (2016).
- Grow, N. The Curiously Confounding Curt Flood Act. 90 Tulane Law Review 859 (2016).
- Grow, N. Regulating Professional Sports Leagues. 72 Washington & Lee Law Review 573 (2015).
- Alexander, C., and Grow, N. Gaming the System: The Exemption of Professional Sports Teams From the Fair Labor Standards Act. 49 U.C. Davis Law Review 123 (2015).
- Grow, N. (2014). Baseball on Trial: The Origin of Baseball's Antitrust Exemption, Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Grow, N. Joint Patent Infringement Following Akamai. 51 American Business Law Journal 71 (2014).
- Grow, N. Insolvent Professional Sports Teams: A Historical Case Study. 18 Lewis & Clark Law Review 345 (2014). (Symposium issue)
- Grow, N. Decertifying Players' Unions: Lessons From the NFL and NBA Lockouts of 2011. 15 Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law 473 (2013).
- Grow, N. In Defense of Baseball's Antitrust Exemption. 49 American Business Law Journal 211 (2012).
- Grow, N. American Needle and the Future of the Single Entity Defense Under Section One of the Sherman Act. 48 American Business Law Journal 449 (2011).
- Grow, N. Antitrust & The Bowl Championship Series. 2 Harvard Journal of Sports & Entertainment Law 53 (2011).
- Grow, N. Louisville v. Duke and Its Implications for Breached College Football Scheduling Agreements. 37 Journal of College & University Law 239 (2011).
- Grow, N. Defining the 'Business of Baseball': A Proposed Framework for Determining the Scope of Professional Baseball's Antitrust Exemption. 44 U.C. Davis Law Review 557 (2010).
- Grow, N. Reevaluating the Curt Flood Act of 1998. 87 Nebraska Law Review 747 (2009).
- Grow, N. A Proper Analysis of the National Football League Under Section One of the Sherman Act. 9 Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law 281 (2008).
- Grow, N. Note: There's No 'I' in 'League': Professional Sports Leagues and the Single Entity Defense. 105 Michigan Law Review 183 (2006).
Edited on August 12, 2020