Areas of Expertise
Marketing Strategy, Brand Equity Management, Marketing Performance Analysis, Philanthropic Marketing, Pharmaceutical Marketing
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Pittsburgh
- International teaching experience: Hungary, Poland, United Kingdom, Korea, Croatia, India, China, Netherlands, and Belgium
- Executive education/consulting: Samsung Electronics, Ingersoll Rand, 3M, Ashland Chemical, IBM, Eli Lilly, and Abbott Labs among others
- Public and non-profit company boards: Simon Property Group, NYSE ticker SPG (2009 – present); IU Foundation Board of Directors (2012-2021); Habitat for Humanity Board of Advisors; Kelley Executive Education Foundation (2005 – present); Foundation for Liberal Arts and Management Education (FLAME,) India (2020-present)
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Sagamore of the Wabash (2021) awarded by Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb
- IU Presidents Medal for Excellence (2021) awarded by IU President Michael McRobbie
- IU Bicentennial Award (2021) awarded by IU President Michael McRobbie
- Eli Lilly Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Board of Trustees Distinguished Teaching Award, 2001, 2003
- The Academy of Distinguished Alumni, Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, 2007
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2002
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Marketing, 1999
- Teaching Innovation Award, 1998
- Business Week Four-Star Rated Teacher (1995, 1996, 1997)
- Served on the Editorial Review Boards of the Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Market-Focused Management, and the Journal of Competitive Intelligence
- Faculty Fellow, AMA Doctoral Consortium, Emory University, 2002
- Faculty Fellow, AMA Doctoral Consortium, University of Georgia, 1998
- Resident Scholar, Faculty Consortium on Marketing Strategy, Arizona State University, 1996
- Rusetski, A., Andrews, J., and Smith, D. C. (2014). Unjustified Prices: Environmental Drivers of Managers' Propensity to Overprice. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42(4), 452-469.
- DelVecchio, D., Krishnan, H. S., and Smith, D. C. (2007). Cents or Percent? The Effects of Promotion Framing on Price Expectations and Choice. Journal of Marketing, 71(3), 158-170.
- Smith, D. C. (2003). The Importance and Challenges of Being Interesting. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 31(3), 319-323.
- Sethi, R., Smith, D. C., and Park, C. W. (2002). Creating Creative New Product Development Teams. Harvard Business Review, August, 16-18.
- Klink, R., and Smith, D. C. (2001). Threats to the External Validity of Brand Extension Research. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(3), 326-335.
- Sethi, R., Smith, D. C., and Park, C. W. (2001). The Effect of Cross-Functional Teams on Creativity and the Innovativeness of New Products. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(1), 73-85.
Edited on August 18, 2022