Areas of Expertise
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Pittsburgh
- Budapest, Hungary, Taught one-week seminar series on the use of cases
- Warsaw, Poland, Taught marketing strategy to senior managers through the Ministry of Privatization
- Samsung Consumer Electronics, Taught marketing strategy planning to senior managers
- Ashland Chemical Company in Amsterdam, Marketing Strategy project
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Eli Lilly Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Board of Trustees Distinguished Teaching Award, 2001, 2003
- Outstanding Reviewer Award at the Journal of Marketing, 1999
- Teaching Innovation Award, 1998
- Business Week Four-Star Rated Teacher
- Serve on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Market-Focused Management, and the Journal of Competitive Intelligence
- Rusetski, A., Andrews, J., and Smith, D. C. (2014). Unjustified Prices: Environmental Drivers of Managers' Propensity to Overprice. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42(4), 452-469.
- DelVecchio, D., Krishnan, H. S., and Smith, D. C. (2007). Cents or Percent? The Effects of Promotion Framing on Price Expectations and Choice. Journal of Marketing, 71(3), 158-170.
- Smith, D. C. (2003). The Importance and Challenges of Being Interesting. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 31(3), 319-323.
- Sethi, R., Smith, D. C., and Park, C. W. (2002). Creating Creative New Product Development Teams. Harvard Business Review, August, 16-18.
- Klink, R., and Smith, D. C. (2001). Threats to the External Validity of Brand Extension Research. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(3), 326-335.
- Sethi, R., Smith, D. C., and Park, C. W. (2001). The Effect of Cross-Functional Teams on Creativity and the Innovativeness of New Products. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(1), 73-85.
Edited on August 1, 2017