Areas of Expertise
Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Education, Entrepreneurship in Higher Education, Women Entrepreneurs, Women Business Students, Gender in Entrepreneurship
- PhD, University of Missouri
- MA, Drury University
- BA, Drury University
- Director of Entrepreneurship Initiatives, University of Missouri System
- Interim Director, Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Missouri
- Assistant Director and Special Instructor, Edward Jones Center for Entrepreneurship, Drury University
- Founder and Consultant, Pomegranate Enterprises
- Proprietor and Founder, Treehouse Treasures
- Director of Special Events and Promotions, Pyramid Foods, Springfield, Missouri
- Administrative Coordinator, Entrepreneurship Empowerment in South Africa Program, Cape Town, South Africa
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Finalist, FACET Innovate Awards for DEIJ-Informed Pedagogy (1 of 3), 2022
- Teaching Award Recipient, Dr. James E. Mumford Excellence in Extraordinary Teaching Award, FACET, 2021
- Best Paper Award (1 of 4), DSEF Papers at USASBE, 2020
- Doctoral Dissertation Award, Association for Research in Business Education, 2019
- 20 Under 40 Honoree, Columbia Business Times, 2019
- Emerging Scholar Award, USASBE Minority & Women Entrepreneurship SIG, 2019
- Graduate Certificate in Online Education, University of Missouri, 2018
- Schulze Publication Award, Entrepreneur and Innovation Exchange, 2018
- Barbara K Townsend Memorial Dissertation Award, University of Missouri, 2015
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow, United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, 2015
- Finalist, Young Professional of the Year, The Network for Springfield’s Young Professionals, 2013
- Certified Diversity Professional, Diversity Training University International, 2010
- Cochran, S. L., and Kuratko, D. F. (in press). How trends in society and research impact entrepreneurship pedagogy. In A. C. Corbett, L. Marino, & G. A. Alsos (Eds.). Advances in entrepreneurship, firm emergence, and growth, Research on entrepreneurship education evolution and future, Volume 23.
- Cochran, S. L. (2022). Innovative educators: The state of undergraduate entrepreneurship education in the United States. In G. J. Larlos-Hernandez, A. Walmsley, & I. Lopez-Castro (Eds.) Theorising undergraduate entrepreneurship education. London: Springer Nature.
- Clevenger, M. R., Crews, M. I., Cochran, S.L., Underdahl, L., Leach, R. G., Heuss, R., Perlman, J., Isele, E., Knight, M., and Udomsak, D. P. (2022). Entreprenology of formal and informal education, co-curricular and extra-curricular programming, vocational and technical entrepreneuring, and learning from failure to support and empower entrepreneurs. In M. R. Clevenger & M. W-P. Fortunato (Eds.) Entrepreneurial communities and ecosystems: Theories in culture, empowerment, and leadership. New York: Routledge.
- Cochran, S. L. (2021). Donning their capes: Women entrepreneurship students emerge as superwomen. In C. Mathews, S. Santos, and E. Liguori (Eds.) Annals of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy 2021. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Cochran, S. L. (2021). Direct selling as a path to business ownership: Molly’s Mary Kay journey. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 4(3), 515-526.
- Cochran, S. L., Foster, L. Q., and Anserson, A. L. (2021). So where’s Momma? Selling coffee in the Ozarks. The Case Journal, 17(5), 660-672.
- Cochran, S. L. (2021). Creating a space for women entrepreneurs. Rutgers Business Review, 6(2), 161-167.
- Cochran, S. L., Coughlan, A. T., Crittenden, V. L., Crittenden, W. F., Ferrell, L. K., Ferrell, O. C., Luce, W. A., & Peterson, R. A. (2021). Direct selling: A global and social business model. New York, NY: Business Expert Press.
- Cochran, S. L. (2020). Students need entrepreneurship courses now more than ever. Entrepreneurship and Innovation Exchange.
- Cochran, S. L. (2019). What’s gender got to do with it? The experiences of U.S. women entrepreneurship students. Journal of Small Business Management, 57(S1), 111-129.
- Cochran, S. L. (2019). Women in higher education. In V. Crittenden (Ed.), Go-to-market strategies for women entrepreneurs: Creating and exploring success. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Cochran, S.L. (2017). Every College Student Should Take a Course in Entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and Innovation Exchange.
- Cochran, S. L. (2016). A Unique Student Angel Investing Fund. In M. H. Morris & E. Liguori (Eds). Annals of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
Edited on September 27, 2022