Areas of Expertise
Leadership; attentional focus; sleep; job engagement; and ethics
- Ph.D. in Business administration, University of Washington
- MS in Labor and Human Resources, Ohio State University
- Executive MBA, Ohio University
- B.A. in Economics, Instituicao Toledo de Ensino (Brazil)
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Finalist for the Best Paper. Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) Division of the Academy of Management. (2017)
- Outstanding Reviewer Award. Organizational Behavior (OB) Division of the Academy of Management. (2016)
- Winner of the Best Student Paper. Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) Division of the Academy of Management. (2015)
- Finalist for the Best Paper. Human Resources Division of the Academy of Management. (2015)
- Outstanding Reviewer Award. Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) Division of the Academy of Management. (2015, 2014, and 2013)
- Outstanding Teaching Award. University of Washington. (2015)
- Weidler Scholar Award for academic performance. The Ohio State University. (2010)
- Hernandez, M. & Guarana, C. L. (2018). A temporal model of job engagement. Journal of Management, 44(5), 1711-1735. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206315622573
- Guarana, C. L., Li, J., & Hernandez, M. (2017). Examining the effects of manager-subordinate gender match on Managerial Response to Voice. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 72, 147-160.
- Guarana, C. L., & Barnes, C. M. (2017). Sleepy first impressions: Lack of sleep and the development of leader-follower relationships over time. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 141, 57-73.
- Elberly, M., Bluhm, D., Guarana, C. L., Avolio, B., & Hannah, S. (2017). Staying after the storm: How transformational leadership relates to follower turnover intentions in extreme contexts. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 102, 72-85.
- Barnes, C. M., Dang, C., Leavitt, K., Guarana, C. L., & Uhlmann, E. L. (2017). Archival data in micro-organizational research: A toolkit for moving to a broader set of topics. Journal of Management, 44(4), 1453-1478. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206315604188.
- Guarana, C. L., & Hernandez, M. (2016). Identified ambivalence: When cognitive conflicts can help individuals overcome cognitive traps. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101(7), 1013-1029.
- Barnes, C., Guarana, C. L., Nauman, S., & Kong, D. (2016). Too tired to inspire or be inspired: Sleep deprivation and charismatic leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology. 101(8), 1191-1199.
- Cho, K., Barnes, C., & Guarana, C. L. (2016). The effects of sleep deprivation on third-party punishment. Psychological Science, 28(2), 242-247.
- Guarana, C. L. & Hernandez, M. (2015). Building sense out of situational complexity: The role of ambivalence in creating functional leadership processes. Organizational Psychology Review, 5(1), 50-73.
Edited on May 16, 2018