Areas of Expertise
Managerial topics in sales and marketing with an emphasis in international sales management, B2B marketing, and strategy
- D.B.A., Kennesaw State University, 2012
- M.B.A., Case Western Reserve University, 1992
- B.S.B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1979
- Clinical Associate Professor of Marketing, Indiana University, 2019 to present
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Marketing, Indiana University, 2014-2019
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Toledo, 2012-2014
- Lecturer, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 2006-2012
- Adjunct, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 2004, 2005
- President, The Ragland Group, 2000-present
- General Manager, SI Corp., 1998-2000
- Marketing Manager, SI Corp., 1997-1998
- Manager, Market Development, AlliedSignal Plastics, 1996-1997
- Vice President Sales & Marketing, Pro Corp., 1994-1995
- Business Manager Molding, The Geon Company, 1990-1994
- Field Market Development, BF Goodrich, Geon Vinyl Division, 1988-1990
- Field Market Development, GE Plastics, 1984-1987
- Senior Sales Representative, GLS Plastics, 1983-1984
- Account Executive, ATT&T (Bell South & American Bell), 1982-1983
- Sales/Market Development, Owens-Corning Fiberglass, 1979-1982
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Kelley School of Business Faculty Service Award, 2020
- Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, 2019
- Founding Member, Sales Technology Higher Education Council, 2019
- Academic Advisory Board, RNMKRS Virtual Sales Competition, 2019
- Finalist, Innovation Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, 2018
- Finalist, Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, 2018
- Outstanding Article, Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 2017
- Outstanding Professor, Kappa Alpha Theta, Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Fall 2018
- Finalist, William G. Panschar Teaching Award, Kelley School of Business, 2017
- Associate Graduate Faculty, University of Toledo, 2013
- Honors Graduate, Coles College of Business, Kennesaw State University, 2012
- Beta Gamma Sigma, Coles College of Business, Kennesaw State University, 201
- Outstanding Senior (Marketing) – Favorite Teacher, UTC College of Business, 2011 - 2012
- Outstanding Senior (Marketing) – Favorite Teacher, UTC College of Business, 2010 - 2011
- Doctoral Fellow, National Conference in Sales Management, 2011
- Best Paper, Association for Marketing and Health Care Research, February 2010
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Society of Marketing Advances, 2009
- Academic Fellow, Direct Selling Education Foundation, 2016 to present
- Widmier, S., Brouthers, L., and Ragland, C. B. (2020). Doing Well by Doing Good: Direct selling as a viable and sustainable source of income for base of the pyramid populations. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 30(4), 380-393.
- Mallin, M., and Ragland, C. B. (2017). Power-based effects on salesperson motivation and performance: A contingency view. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 24(2), 99-121 (JBBM Outstanding Article 2017).
- Patel, V., Kudlats, J., and Ragland, C. B. (2017). Entrepreneurial leadership: Core concepts of a key dimension. Experiential Entrepreneurship Exercises Journal, 2(1), 72-80.
- Nicholls, J., Ragland, C. B., Schimmel, K., and Hair, J. (2016). The relevance of ethics, CSR, and sustainability topics in the business school and marketing curricula: Dean and department head opinions. Journal of Business Ethics Education, 13, 169-184.
- Ragland, C. B., Brouthers, L., and Widmier, S. (2015). Institutional Theory and International Market Selection for Direct Selling. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 33(4), 1-19.
- Ragland, C. B., Widmier, S. and Brouthers, L. (2015). A Factor Endowment Approach to International Market Selection for the Direct Selling Industry. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 23(6), 497-511.
- Rodriguez, M., Ragland, C. B., Honeycutt, E. (2015). Entertainment Orientation and Teaching Entertaining Strategies in Professional Sales Education and Training. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 22(4), 257-268.
- Longenecker, C., Ragland, C. B., and Mallin, M. (2014). Developing High Performance Sales Managers: Key Practices for Accelerating Growth. Development and Learning in Organizations, 28(2), 10-13.
- Mallin, M., Ragland, C. B., and Finkle, T. (2014). The Proactive Behavior of Younger Salespeople: Antecedents and Outcomes. Journal of Marketing Channels, 21(4), 268-278.
- Longenecker, C., Mallin, M., and Ragland, C. B. (2014). The Sales Manager Development Gap: Are Leaders Equipped to 'Walk the Walk?' Journal of Selling & Major Account Management, 13(2), 64-70.
- Nicholls, J., Hair, J. F., Ragland, C. B., and Schimmel, K. (2013). Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility, and Sustainability in AACSB Undergraduate and Graduate Marketing Curricula: A Benchmark Study. Journal of Marketing Education, 35(2), 129-140.
Edited on January 10, 2022