Areas of Expertise
Net-enabled Organizations, Open Source Software, CIO Executive Leadership, Executive Leadership of IT Strategy, Executive Programs in Business-IT Effectiveness
- PhD, Information Systems, Indiana University Graduate School of Business, 1993
- MBA, Oklahoma State University, 1989
- BS, Business Management, Oklahoma State University, 1987
- Co-founder and board co-chair, Unizin Consortium, 2014-2020 Board member, Kuali Inc., 2014-
- IT and cybersecurity advisor, Old National Bank, 2015-
- Co-Founder and board member, Kuali Foundation, 2005-present; Chair 2005-2016
- IU Vice President for IT and CIO, 2007-2020
- IU Vice President for Communications and Marketing, 2018-2020
- Member, IU Health Bloomington Hospital Board, 2012-2017; Finance Committee
- EDUCAUSE Board, 2009-2012, Treasurer 2010, 2011
- IU Research and Technology Corporation, Secretary, 2007-2017
- Vice-Chairman, The Sakai Foundation; Board member in charge of commercial relationships, 2005-2006
- Vice-Chairman, The Sakai Project Board of Directors; Board member in charge of commercial relationships, 2004-2005
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Indianapolis Business Journal, CIO of the Year, 2015
- Leadership Award, EDUCAUSE, 2013
- CIO 100 Award, CIO Magazine, June 2012
- Government Technology's "Top 25 Doers, Dreamers, and Drivers in Public Sector Innovation," Government Technology, February 2012
- The Chronicle of Higher Education's "12 Tech Innovators Who Are Transforming Campuses," February 2012
- CIO 100 Award, CIO Magazine, June 2009
- Wheeler, B. C. (2020). The CIO Agenda for a Decade of Converging Curves (Plus Cliffs and Clouds). EDUCAUSE Review.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2017). Who is Doing Our Data Laundry. EDUCAUSE Review.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2014). Speeding up on Curves. EDUCAUSE Review, 49(1).
- Wheeler, B. C. (2013). Murdered by the Matrix: How to Buy the Future. NAEP National Meeting, Keynote Speaker.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2012). Fixing the High Price of Textbooks. The Chronicle of Higher Education, Rebooting the Academy: 12 Tech Innovators Who Are Transforming Campuses, 42-45.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2012). Above-Campus Services: A Leadership Agenda. ACUTA Annual Conference.
- Hilton, J. L., and Wheeler, B. C. (2012). The Marketecture of Community. EDUCAUSE Review, 47(6).
- Osborne, N., and Wheeler, B. C. (2012). Shaping the Path to Digital: The Indiana University eTexts Initiative. In Diana G. Oblinger (Ed.) EDUCAUSE Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies (373-380).
- Henry, C., and Wheeler, B. C. (2012). The Game Has Changed. EDUCAUSE Review, 47(2).
- Wheeler, B. C. (2011). Changing the Game. CCA-EDUCAUSE, Keynote Speaker, Sydney, Australia.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2011). Controlling the Higher Ed Enterprise (for less than $5B). Enterprise and Information Technology Conference.
- McRobbie, M. A., and Wheeler, B. C. (2010). Three Insights for Presidents and CIOs. EDUCAUSE Review, 45(3), 8-9.
- Katz, R. N., Harel, E. C., Keehn, A. K., King, M., Kossuth, J., Wesemann, D., and Wheeler, B. C. (2010). Looking At Clouds from All Sides Now. EDUCAUSE Review, 45(3), 32-45.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2010). About that $1B Per Year… EDUCAUSE Review, 45(6).
- Wheeler, B. C., and Waggener, S. (2009). Above-Campus Services: Shaping the Promise of Cloud Computing for Higher Education. EDUCAUSE Review, 44(6), 52-66.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2008). In Search of Certitude. EDUCAUSE Review, 43(3), 14-34.
- DeStefano, J., and Wheeler, B. C. (2007). Mitigating the Risks of Big Systems. Business Officer, 21-26.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2007). Leading Beyond the ICT Conundrums for Scholarship 2.0. Presented at EDUCAUSE Australasia, Melbourne, Australia.
- Wheeler, B. C. (2007). Open Source 2010: Reflections on 2007. EDUCAUSE Review, 42(1), 49-52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64, 66-67.
- Hacker, T. J., and Wheeler, B. C. (2007). Making Research Cyberinfrastructure a Strategic Choice. EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 30(1).
- Wheeler, B. C. (2002). NeBIC: A dynamic capabilities theory for assessing net-enablement. Information Systems Research, 13(2), 125-146.
- Brickley, P., Marakas, G. M., and Wheeler, B. C. (2002). From Back Office to Boardroom: Repositioning Global IT through Educating the Line to Lead at British American Tobacco. MIS Quarterly Executive, 1(1), 47-62.
- Jessup, L. M., Urbaczewski, A., and Wheeler, B. C. (2002). Electronic commerce research: A taxonomy and synthesis. Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 12(4), 263-305.
- Urbaczewski, A., and Wheeler, B. C., (2001). Do sequence and concurrency matter?: An investigation of order and timing effects on student learning of programming languages. Communications of the AIS, 5(2).
- Jessup, L. M., and Wheeler, B. C. (2000). Launching the Indiana AMBA: Learning With, Through, and About Technology. Information Technology & Management, 1(4), 259-281.
- Mennecke, B. L., Valacich, J. S., and Wheeler, B. C., (2000). The effects of media and task on user performance: a test of the task-media fit hypothesis. Group Decision & Negotiation, 9(6), 507-529.
- Freeman, L., Jarvenpaa, S. L., and Wheeler, B. C., (2000). The supply and demand of Information Systems doctorates: Past, present, and future. MIS Quarterly, 24(3), 355-380.
- Dennis, A. R., & Press, L. I. and Wheeler, B.C. (2000). Groupware comes to the Internet: Charting a new world. Database, 30(3), 8-21.
- Jessup, L. M., Urbaczewski, A., and Wheeler, B. C. (1998). A manager’s primer in electronic commerce. Business Horizons, 41(5), 5-16.
- Valacich, J. S., and Wheeler, B. C. (1996). Facilitation, GSS and training as sources of process restrictiveness and guidance for structured group decision-making: An empirical assessment. Information Systems Research, 7(4), 429-450.
- Alavi, M., Valacich, J. S., and Wheeler, B. C. (1995). Using IT to reengineer business education: An exploratory investigation of collaborative telelearning. MIS Quarterly, 19(3), 293-312.
- Mennecke, B. E., Valacich, J. S., Wachter, R., and Wheeler, B. C. (1995). The effects of numerical and logical group size on computer-mediated idea generation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 62(3), 318-329.
- Alavi, M.,Valacich, J. S., Vogel, D. and Wheeler, B. C. (1995). A framework for technology-mediated inter-institutional telelearning relationships. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 1(1).
Edited on September 21, 2022