Areas of Expertise
Capital Markets, Financial Disclosure, Managerial Reputation, Corporate Governance
- Ph.D., Accounting, The Pennsylvania State University, 2008
- M.B.A., Finance and International Business, University of Cincinnati, 1998
- B.A., Accounting and Finance, Cedarville University, 1994
- Certified Public Accountant, Ohio
- Sam Frumer Professor, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 2020 – Present
- Professor, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 2020 – Present
- PwC Faculty Fellow, 2017 – 2020
- Weimer Faculty Fellow, 2011 – 2017
- Associate Professor, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 2015 – Present
- Assistant Professor, Indiana University, Bloomington Indiana, 2008 - 2015
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Smeal College of Business, The Pennsylvania State University, 2003-2008
- Accounting Lecturer, Cedarville University, 2001-2003
- Accounting Lecturer, The Masters College, 2000-2001
- Financial Cost Forecast Manager, N.A. Fabric Care, The Procter and Gamble Co. 2000
- Cost Analyst, New Business Development, The Procter and Gamble Co. 1999
- Financial Analyst, N.A. Fabric Care, The Procter and Gamble Co. 1998
- Auditor, BKD LLP (Formerly Olive LLP), 1994-1997
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Recipient, MBA Teaching Excellence Award (2021)
- Recipient, Walt Blacconiere MBA Teaching Award (2021)
- Recipient, Indiana University PhD Exceptional Inspiration and Guidance Mentor Award (2021)
- Recipient, Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award, 2012, 2014, and 2020
- Finalist, Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award, 2010, 2011, and 2019
- American Accounting Association Notable Contribution to the Accounting Literature Award, 2013
- Emerald Management Reviews Citations of Excellence Award, 2012 (awarded to top 50 peer-reviewed management research papers, out of 15,000 papers evaluated)
- Nominee, Indiana University Sauvain Teaching Award, 2011 and 2012
- Nominee, Student Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty Member, 2010 and 2012
- Smeal Dissertation Research Award, 2008
- AAA / Deloitte / J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2007
- Ossian R. MacKenzie Teaching Award nominee, 2007
- G. Kenneth Nelson Scholarship, 2005-2008
- Robert B. Graham Graduate Scholarship, 2003-2005
- Coleman, B., Merkley, K. J., Miller B., and Pacelli, J. (2021). Does the Freedom of Information Act Foil the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Intent to Keep Investigations Confidential? Management Science, 67(6), 3419-3428.
- Holzman, E., Miller, B., and Williams, B. (2021). The Local Spillover Effect of Corporate Fraud: Evidence from City Crime Rates. Contemporary Accounting Research, 38(3), 1542-1580.
- McMullin, J,, Miller, B. P., and Twedt, B. (2019). Increased Mandated Disclosure Frequency and Price Formation: Evidence from the 8-K Expansion Regulation. The Review of Accounting Studies, 24(1), 1-33.
- Busenbark, J,. Marshall, N., Miller, B., and Pfarrer, M. (2019). How the severity gap influences the effect of top actor performance on outcomes following a violation. Strategic Management Journal, 40(12), 2078-2104.
- Bonsall, S., and Miller, B. P. (2017). The Impact of Narrative Disclosure Readability on Bond Ratings and the Cost of Debt Capital. Review of Accounting Studies, 22(2), 608-643.
- Bonsall, S., Holzman, E., and Miller, B. P. (2017). Managerial Ability and Credit Risk Assessment. Management Science, 63(5), 1425-1449.
- Bonsall, S., Leone, A., Miller., B. P., and Rennekamp, K. (2017). A Plain English Measure of Financial Reporting Readability. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 63(2-3), 329-357.
- Beneish, M. D., Miller, B. P., and Yohn, T. L. (2015). Macroeconomic Evidence on the Impact of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Equity and Debt Markets. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 34(1), 1-27.
- Blankespoor, E., Miller, B. P., and White, H. (2014). Initial Evidence on the Market Impact of the XBRL Mandate. The Review of Accounting Studies, 19(4), 1468-1503.
- Hennes, K,. Leone, A., and Miller, B. P. (2014). Determinants and Market Consequences of Auditor Dismissals after Accounting Restatements. The Accounting Review, 89(3), 1051-1082.
- Miller, B. P. (2010). The Effects of Reporting Complexity on Small and Large Investor Trading. The Accounting Review, 85(6), 2107-2143.
- Fischer, P., Gramlich, J., Miller, B. P., and White, H. (2009). Investor Perceptions of Board Performance: Evidence from Uncontested Director Elections. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 48(2-3), 172-189.
- Hennes, K., Leone, A., and Miller, B. P. (2008). The Importance of Distinguishing Errors from Irregularities in Restatement Research: The Case of Restatements and CEO/CFO Turnover. The Accounting Review, 83(6), 1487-1519.
Edited on May 10, 2021