Areas of Expertise
Entrepreneurship, Identity, Oppositional Categories, Qualitative Research
- PhD, University of Tennessee
- BA, University of Illinois
- Owner/Entrepreneurial Activities: The Home Center, Cedarhurst of Independence & Collinsville, Villas of Hollybrook, The Glenwood, Mathias Family LLC, Mathias Real Estate Holdings
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- 2020 IU Trustees Teaching Award Finalist
- 2018 Best Reviewer Award for Journal of Business Venturing
- Best Entrepreneurship Paper (Finalist). Academy of Management Conference, 2018. Organization and Management Theory Division. (with Annelore Huyghe)
- National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) award for overall best paper on the general topic of entrepreneurship at the 2016 Babson Entrepreneurship Research Conference. (with Shelby Solomon and Kristen Madison)
- National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) award for overall best paper on the general topic of entrepreneurship at the 2012 Babson Entrepreneurship Research Conference. (with David Williams)
- Outstanding Teaching Award Nominee, Tiger Athletic Foundation, 2016-17. Louisiana State University
- Most Outstanding Graduate Student Researcher Award, Finalist. 2014. University of Tennessee College of Business
- Outstanding Reviewer Award. Strategic Management Track. 2013. Southern Management Association Conference, New Orleans, LA
- Mathias, B., and Fisher, G. (2022). That’s our beer! Contentious category blending to create collegiate beer. Journal of Management, 48(3), 693-737.
- Cowden, B., Bendickson, J., Mathias, B., and Solomon, S. (2022). Straight outta Detroit: Identifying with a stigmatized location. Journal of Management Studies, in press.
- Mathias, B., McCann, B., and Whitman, D. (2021). Agglomeration and firm performance: A meta-analysis. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 15(3), 430-453.
- Gur, F., and Mathias, B. (2021). Finding self among others: Navigating the tensions between personal and social identity. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 45(6), 1463–1495.
- Mathias, B., Huyghe, A., and Williams, D. (2020). Selling your soul to the devil? The importance of independent ownership to identity distinctiveness for oppositional categories. Strategic Management Journal, (41)3, 2548-2584. View Full Text
- Solomon, S., and Mathias, B. (2020). The artisans' dilemma: Artisan entrepreneurship and the challenge of firm growth. Journal of Business Venturing, 35(5). View Full Text
- Mmbaga, N., Mathias, B., Williams, D., & Cardon, M. 2020. A review of and future agenda for identity in entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing, 35(6). View Full Text
- Mathias, B., Huyghe, A., Frid, C., and Galloway, T. (2018). Paying it Forward: An Identity Perspective on Coopetition in the Craft Beer Industry. Strategic Management Journal. 39(12), 3086-3115 View Full Text
- Mathias, B., McKenny, A., and Crook, R. (2018). Managing the Tensions between Exploration and Exploitation: The Role of Time. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 12(3), 316-334. View Full Text
- Mathias, B., and Williams, D. (2018). Giving up the Hats? Entrepreneurs’ Role Transitions and Venture Growth. Journal of Business Venturing, 33(3), 261-277. View Full Text
- Solomon, S., and Mathias, B. (2018). Crafted in America: From Culture to Profession. In E. Bell, S. Taylor, & M. L. Toraldo (Eds.), The Organization of Craft Work: Identities Meanings and Materialities (41-59). UK: Routledge.
- Mathias, B., Solomon, S., and Madison, K. (2017). After the Harvest: A Stewardship Perspective on Entrepreneurship and Philanthropy. Journal of Business Venturing, 32(4), 385-404. View Full Text
- Mathias, B., and Williams, D. (2017). The Impact of Role Identities on Entrepreneurs’ Evaluation and Selection of Opportunities. Journal of Management, 43(3), 892-918. View Full Text
- Mathias, B. (2017). Entrepreneurial Identity and Motivation. In T. Duening & M. Metzger (Eds.), Entrepreneurial Identity: The Process of becoming an Entrepreneur (83-102). UK: Edward Elgar.
- Mathias, B., and Smith, A. (2016). Autobiographies in Organizational Research: Using Leaders’ Life Stories in a Triangulated Research Design. Organizational Research Methods, 19(2), 204-230. View Full Text
- Mathias, B., Williams, D., and Smith, A. (2015). Entrepreneurial Inception: The Role of Imprinting in Entrepreneurial Action. Journal of Business Venturing, 30(1), 11-28. View Full Text
- Mathias, B., Lux, S., Crook, R., Autry, C., and Zaretzki, R. (2015). Competing Against the Unknown: The Impact of Enabling and Constraining Institutions on the Informal Economy. Journal of Business Ethics, 127(2), 251-264. View Full Text
- Mathias, B. (2014). Exploration, Exploitation, Ambidexterity, and Firm Performance: A Meta-Analysis. In T. Amburgey, U. Stettner, and B. Aharonson (Eds.), Technology, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Competitive Strategy: Exploration and Exploitation in Early-Stage Ventures and SMEs, Volume 14 (289-314). UK: Emerald.
Edited on May 16, 2022