Areas of Expertise
Internet Law, Regulatory Theory, Privacy Law, Big Data, Comparative Law, the “Sharing Economy”
- JD, Magna Cum Laude, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- MBA, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 2011
- BA, Highest Distinction, Indiana University-Bloomington
- Owner, Stemler Legal Services and Consulting, LLC (specializing in real estate and business law)
- Owner, The Inkwell (a bakery and restaurant)
- Owner, One-Eighteen, LLC (a commercial real estate and boutique hotel business)
- Of Counsel, Associate & Summer Associate, Bose McKinney & Evans, LLP
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award [most prestigious honor at Indiana University for pre-tenured faculty], Indiana University (2020
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business Early Career Achievement Award [most prestigious honor given by the Academy to members who have been teaching and researching for fewer than nine years] (2020)
- Jerry S. Cohen Award for Antitrust Scholarship in the category of Best Antitrust Article of 2019 on Privacy (with Gregory Day) (2019)
- Harry C. Sauvain Undergraduate Teaching Award (2020)
- Top 50 Undergraduate Business Professors of 2020, Poets&Quants (2020)
- Ralph Bunche Distinguished International Paper Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business (with Justin Evans & Blake Himebaugh) (2019)
- Outstanding Proceedings Paper Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business (with Joshua Perry & Todd Haugh) (2019)
- McGraw-Hill Education Distinguished Paper Award, MBAA International (with Gregory Day) (2019)
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University (2019)
- Indiana University Bicentennial Medal, Indiana University (2019)
- William G. Panschar Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award (2014)
- Order of the Coif (2011)
- John Edwards Fellowship (2010)
- Forte Fellowship (2010)
- Phi Beta Kappa (2007)
- Palmer Brandon Prize (2007)
- Stemler, A., and Day, G. Are Dark Patterns Anticompetitive? 72 Ala. L.R. 1 (2020).
- Stemler, A., Shackelford, S. J., Raymond, A., and Loyale, C. Defending Democracy: Taking Stock of the Global Fight Against Digital Repression, Disinformation, and Election Insecurity, XX Wash. & Lee L. Rev. XX (in press 2020).
- Stemler, A., Perry, J., and Haugh, T. The Code of the Platform, 54 Georgia Law Review 605 (2020).
- Stemler, A., and Edelman, B. From the Digital to the Physical: Federal Limitations on Regulating Online Marketplaces, 55 Harv. J. on Legis. 141 (2019).
- Stemler, A., and Day, G. Infracompetitive Privacy, 105 Iowa L.R. 101 (2019).
- Stemler, A., and Woody, K. The Role of Women Entrepreneurs in Rebuilding A Nation: The Rwandan Model, 28 Minn. J. Int’l L. 367 (2019).
- Stemler, A. Platform Advocacy and the Threat to Deliberative Democracy. 77 Md. L. Rev. 101 (2018).
- Stemler, A., Shackelford, S. J., and Richards, E. L. Paris, Panels, and Protectionism: Matching U.S. Rhetoric with Reality to Save the Planet. 19 Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment & Technology Law 3 (2017).
- Stemler, A. Feedback Loop Failure: Implications for the Self-Regulation of the Sharing Economy, 33 Minn. J.L. Sci. & Tech. 545 (2017).
- Stemler, A. Myth of the Sharing Economy and Its Implications for Regulating Innovation, 2 Emory L.J. 197 (2017).
- Stemler, A. Regulation 2.0: The Marriage of New Governance and Lex Informatica, 19 Vand. J. Entertainment & Tech. L. 87 (2016).
Edited on September 1, 2020