BUS-M522 New Products Management
- 7 weeks
- 1.5 credits
- Prerequisite(s): MBA Core
This course covers the management of new products development. Program strategy, opportunity creation, concept development, product testing, demand estimation, and evaluation are stressed. Lectures and case studies illustrate effective innovation practices.
- Product policy
- Product development process and new product strategy
- Idea generation
- Prescreening and concept testing-tests using depth interviews, focus groups, and survey research techniques
- Use testing and screening
- Market testing and market analysis-use of controlled distribution tests (such as IRI) and test marketing
Course Materials: C. Merle Crawford, New Products Management, Irwin, 8th edition. Selected article reprints from The Journal of Product Innovation Management. Selected case studies.
Grading Criteria: Course grade will be based upon a final essay examination, a course project, and a series of short exercises.