One of the most important skills you’ll learn at Kelley and in your Business Communication classes is how to work well in a team—something you’ll have to do frequently in almost any business career. While your team members may have vastly different work styles or points of view than you do, keep the following tips in mind and your teamwork experiences will be a success.
- Share leadership by rotating responsibilities.
- Enable all members to develop a sense of project ownership by allowing each person to “own” an area of expertise.
- Build trust by getting to know your team members.
- Listen actively to all members’ points of view.
- Value each member’s strengths.
- Show respect for other people’s viewpoints through verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Lighten up and enjoy the opportunity of creating something valuable together!