Areas of Expertise
Asset Valuation, Corporate Finance, Financial Markets, Investment Management
- PhD, Purdue University, 1988
- MS, Georgia Tech, 1980
- BS, Purdue University, 1979
- Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Houston, 1995-96
- Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Georgia, 1989-95
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, Purdue University, 1992-93
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Recipient of the MBA Teaching Excellence Award, presented by the Kelley School of Business MBA Student Advisory Board, Indiana University
- Recipient of the Finance Professor of the Year Award, presented by the University of Georgia Finance Club
- Jones, S. L., and Yeoman, J. (2014). Initial uncertainty, the risks of setting a fixed-offer price, and underpricing in firm-commitment and best-efforts IPOs. Journal of Corporate Finance, 27, 194-215.
- Jones, S. L., and Yeoman, J. (2012). Bias in Estimating the Systematic Risk of Extreme Performers: Implications for Financial Analysis, the Leverage Effect, and Long-Run Reversals. Journal of Corporate Finance, 18(1), 1-21.
- Jones, S. L., and Yeoman, J. (2009). The Promoter’s Role in Ticket Pricing: Implications of Real Options for Optimal Posted-Offer Prices and Rationing. Journal of Business Research, 62(11), 1187-1192.
- Jones, S. L., Megginson, B., Nash, R. and Netter, J. (2000). Share Issue Privatizations as Financial Means to Political and Economic Ends. Journal of Financial Economics, 53(2), 217-253. Reprinted in Michael A. Crew and David Parker (eds.) (2008), Developments in the Economics of Privatization and Regulation, The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics Series, Mark Blaug (Series ed.), Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jones, S. L., and Singh, M. (1997). The Distribution of Stock Returns Implied in Their Options at the Turn-of-the-Year: A Test for Seasonal Volatility. Journal of Business, 70(2), 281-311.
- Jones, S. L. (1993). Another Look at Time-Varying Risk and Return in a Long-Horizon Contrarian Investment Strategy. Journal of Financial Economics, 33(1), 119-144.
- Jones, S. L., Lee, W., and Apenbrink, R. (1991). New Evidence on the January Effect Before Personal Income Taxes. Journal of Finance, 46(5), 1909-1924.
Edited on February 1, 2023