Areas of Expertise
Corporate Finance, Financial Market Development, Privatization, Political Economy of Finance, Corporate Governance.
- PhD in Economics, University of Pittsburgh
- BSc in Economics Presidency College, Calcutta
- Associate Professor of Finance, 2010-
- Assistant Professor of Finance, Kelley School of Business, 2003-2009
- Gormley, T,, Jha, A., and Gupta, N. (2018). Quiet Life No More? Corporate Bankruptcy and Bank Competition. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 53(2), 581-611.
- Borisov, A., Goldman, E., and Gupta, N. (2016). The Corporate Value of (Corrupt) Lobbying. Review of Financial Studies, 29(4), 1039-107. Winner, Best Paper in the Finance Series, 2015 Standard Life Investments Finance Working Paper prize, European Corporate Governance Institute. Covered in the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation.
- Gupta, N. (2013). Selling the Family Silver to Pay the Grocer’s Bill? The Case of Privatization in India. In Jagdish Bhagwati and Arvind Panagariya (Eds.), Reforms and Economic Transformation in India (141-167). Oxford University Press: New York, NY.
- Gupta, N., and Dinc, I. S. (2011).The Decision to Privatize: Finance, Politics, and Patronage. Journal of Finance, 66(1), 241-269.
- Gupta, N., and Yuan, K. (2009). On the Growth Effect of Stock Market Liberalizations. Review of Financial Studies, 22(11), 4715-4752.
- Gupta, N., Ham, J. C., and Svejnar, J. (2008). Priorities and Sequencing in Privatization: Theory and Evidence from the Czech Republic. The European Economic Review, 52(2), 183-208.
- Gupta, N. (2008). Privatization in South Asia. In Gerard Roland (Ed.), Privatization: Successes and Failures, (170-198). New York, NY: Columbia University Press.
- Chari, A. and Gupta, N. (2008). Incumbents and Protectionism: The Political Economy of Foreign Entry Liberalization. Journal of Financial Economics, 88(3), 633-656.
- Gupta, N., Chakraborty, A., and Harbaugh, R. (2006). Best Foot Forward or Best for Last in a Sequential Auction? RAND Journal of Economics, 37(1), 176-194.
- Gupta, N. (2005). Partial Privatization and Firm Performance. The Journal of Finance, LX(2), 987-1015.
Edited on September 3, 2020