Areas of Expertise
International Business and China, International Strategic Management, Management of joint ventures and strategic alliances, Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, Technology Management
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 1977
- MLS, University of Pittsburgh, 1971
- BS, Carnegie Mellon University, 1969
- Visiting Scholar, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark, Fall 2002
- Senior Research Associate, Imagination Lab, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001
- Consultant, Sustainability Development, USAID Project, National Economics University School of Business, November 2001-December 2002
- Arthur Andersen Distinguished Visiting Professor. The Judge Institute at Cambridge University (England), Fall, 1997
- Senior Visiting Scholar, St. Gallen University, Institute of Management, St. Gallen, Switzerland, Sping, 1997
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Academy of International Business Fellow, 2005
- Research Fellow, Tobias Leadership Center, Indiana University
- Outstanding Faculty Research Award, Indiana University Kelley School of Business, 2005
- Best paper 2004, Academy of International Business, Stockholm, Sweden
- Best Paper finalist, National Academy of Management, 2004
- Howard, M., Steensma, H. K., Lyles, M.A., & Dhanaraj, C. (2016). Learning to Collaborate through Collaboration: How Allying with Expert Firms Influences Collaborative Innovation within Novice Firms. Strategic Management Journal, 37(10), 2092-2103.
- Wang, B.M.,Wang, Q., Zhao, S., Lyles, M. A., & Zhu, G. (2016). Interactive Effects of External Knowledge Sources and Internal Resources on the Innovation Capability of Chinese Manufacturers. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116(8), 1617-1635.
- Li, M., Li, D., Lyles, M. A., & Liu, S. (2016). Outward foreign direct investment and domestic productivity growth: A threshold model with evidence from China. Global Strategy Journal, 6, 289-308.
- Li, S., Easterby-Smith, M., Lyles, M. A., & Clark, T. (2016). Tapping the power of local knowledge: A local-global interactive perspective. Journal of World Business, 51(4), 641-653. View Full Text
- Hotho, J. J., Lyles, M.A., & Easterby-Smith, M. (2015). The Joint impact of Global Strategy and Organizational Learning. Global Strategy Journal, 59(2), 85-112.
- Zhang, M., Zhao, X., & Lyles, M.A. (2015). Absorptive capacity and mass customization capability: The role of customers and suppliers as sources of knowledge. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 35(9), 1275-1294.
- Lyles, M. A., Li, D. & Yan, H. (2014). Chinese Outward Foreign Direct Investment Performance: The Role of Learning. Management Organization Review, 10(3), 411-437.
- Fu, Z. P., and Lyles, M. A. (2013). International strategies of mid-sized firms: A comparison of Indian and Guangdong Province. Business Horizons, 56(4), 433-442.
- Lyles, M.A., and Park, S. H. (2013). The Life cycle of internationalization. Business Horizons, 56(4), 405-410.
- Li, H., Zhang, Y., and Lyles, M. A. (2013) Knowledge Spillovers, Search, and Creation in China’s Emerging Market. Management Organization Review, 9(3), 395-412.
- Steensma, H.K., Howard, M., Lyles, M. A., & Dhanaraj, C. (2012). The Compensatory Relationship between Absorptive Capacity, Social Capital and Learning from an Alliance. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 6(4), 291-381.
- Easterby-Smith, M., and Lyles, M. A. (2011). In Praise of Organizational Forgetting. Journal of Management Inquiry, 20(3), 311-316.
- Volberda, H. W., Foss, N. J., & Lyles, M. A. (2010). Absorbing the concept of Absorptive Capacity: How to realize its potential in the organization field. Organization Science, 21(4), 931-951.
- Danis, W. M., Chiaburu, D. S., & Lyles, M. A. (2010). The impact of managerial networking intensity and market-based strategies on firm growth: A Study of small and medium-sized enterprises in a transition economy. Journal of International Business Studies, 41(2), 287-307.
- Easterby-Smith, M., Lyles, M. A., & Tsang, E. (2008). Inter-organizational knowledge transfer: current issues and future prospects. Journal of Management Studies, 45(4), 661-674.
- Pederson, T., Petersen, B., & Lyles, M. A. (2008). Closing the knowledge gap in foreign markets: A Learning perspective. Journal of International Business Studies, 39(7), 1097-1113.
- Van Wijk, R., Jansen, J., & Lyles, M. A. (2008). Inter-and Intra-Organizational Knowledge Transfer: A meta-analytical review and assessment of its antecedents and consequences. Journal of Management Studies, 45(4), 830-853.
- Steensma, K., Barden, J., Dhanaraj, C., Lyles, M. A., & Tihanyi, L. (2008). The Influence of Power, Learning, and Conflict on the Internalization of International Joint Ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 39(3), 491-507.
- Lyles, M. A., & Salk, J. (2007). Knowledge Acquisition from Foreign Parents in International Joint Ventures: An Empirical Examination in the Hungarian Context. Journal of International Business Studies, 38(1), 3-18.
- Salk, J., and Lyles, M. A. (2007). Gratitude, nostalgia and what now? Knowledge acquisition and learning a decade later. Journal of International Business Studies, 38(1), 19-26.
- Steensma, K., Tihanyi, L., Lyles, M. A., and Dhanaraj, C. (2005). The Evolving Value of Foreign Partnerships in Transitioning Economies. Academy of Management Journal, 48(2), 213-235.
- Barden, J. Q., Steensma, H. K., and Lyles, M. A. (2005). The Influence of Parent Control Structure on Parent Conflict in Vietnamese international joint ventures: An organizational justice-based contingency approach. Journal of International Business Studies, 36(2), 156-174.
- Lyles, M. A., Saxton, T., and Watson K. (2004). Venture survival in a transitional economy. Journal of Management, 30(3), 351-375.
- Dhanaraj, C., Lyles, M. A., Steensma, H. K., and Tihanyi, L. (2004). Managing Tacit and Explicit Knowledge Transfer in IJVs: The Role of Relational Embeddedness and the Impact on Performance. Journal of International Business Studies, 35(5), 428-443.
- Easterby-Smith, M., and Lyles, M. A. (2003). Rereading Organizational Learning: Selective Memory, Forgetting and Adaptation. Academy of Management Executive, 17(2), 51-55.
- Lane, P., Salk, J., and Lyles, M. A. (2001). Absorptive Capacity, Learning, and Performance in International Joint Ventures. Strategic Management Journal, 22(12), 1139-1162.
- Steensma, K., and Lyles, M. A. (2000). Explaining IJV Survival in a transitional economy through social exchange and Knowledge-based perspectives. Strategic Management Journal, 21(8), 831-852.
- Lyles, M. A., and Salk, J. (1996). Learning from foreign parents in international joint ventures: An empirical examination in the Hungarian Context. Journal of International Business Studies, 27(6), 877-904.
- Lyles, M. A., and Reger, R. (1993). Managing for autonomy in joint ventures: A longitudinal study of Upward influence. Journal of Management Studies, 30(3), 383-404.
- Lyles, M. A., and Schwenk, C. R. (1992). Top management, strategy, and organizational knowledge structures. Journal of Management Studies, 29(2), 155-174.
- Lyles, M. A. (1990). A research agenda for strategic management in the 1990's. Journal of Management Studies, 27(4), 364-375.
Edited on June 5, 2018