Areas of Expertise
Intellectual Property, First Amendment, Ethics and Critical Thinking, Health Care Law and Policy
- JD, with distinction, University of Nebraska College of Law
- BA, summa cum laude, Hastings College
- Practiced law with emphasis on civil litigation, 1981-1985
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Winner of the 2016 Outstanding Service Award, Kelley School of Business
- Winner of the 2015 IU Trustees Teaching Award (awarded in 2016)
- Co-winner of the 2011 Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Excellence in Research, given by the Academy of Legal Studies in Business.
- Co-winner, Best Published Life Sciences Paper for 2006-07, Center for the Business of Life Sciences, Kelley School of Business
- Winner of 2000 Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Excellence in Research.
- Co-winner of 1997 Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Excellence in Research.
- Winner of 1997 MBA Teaching Excellence Award, Kelley School of Business
- Winner of 1996 Eli Lilly Teaching Excellence Award, MBA Program, Kelley School of Business
- Perry, J. E., and Langvardt, A. W. Political Figures and the Appropriation of Others’ Music: Legal and Ethical Perspectives. 20 Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law 25 (2019).
- Langvardt, A. W., Barnes, A. J., Prenkert, J. D., McCrory, M. A., and Perry, J. E. (2018). Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment (17th edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Langvardt, A. W. Musicians, Politicians, and the Forgotten Tort. 27 Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal 429 (2017).
- Langvardt, A. W. Generic Pharmaceuticals and the ‘Unfortunate Hand’ Dealt to Harmed Consumers: The Emerging State Court Resistance. 17 Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology 565 (2016).
- Langvardt, A. W. I Have a [Fair Use] Dream: Historic Copyrighted Works and the Recognition of Meaningful Rights for the Public. 25 Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal 939 (2015).
- Mallor, J. P., Barnes, A. J., Prenkert, J. D., McCrory, M. A., and Langvardt, A. W. (2015). Business Law: The Ethical, Global and E-Commerce Environment (16th Edition). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
- Langvardt, A. W. Tobacco Advertising and the First Amendment: Striking the Right Balance. 5 William & Mary Business Law Review 331 (2014).
- Langvardt, A. W., Grout, J., and Hill, J. Mistake-Proofing Medicine: Legal Considerations and Healthcare Quality Implications 14 Minnesota Journal of Law, Science, & Technology 387 (2013).
- Langvardt, A. W., and Langvardt, T. Caught in the Copyright Rye: Freeing First Amendment Interests from the Constraints of the Traditional View. 2 Harvard Journal of Sports & Entertainment Law 99 (2011).
- Langvardt, A. W., Hill, J., Massey, A., and Rinehart, J. A Proposed National Health Information Network Architecture and Complementary Federal Preemption of State Health Information Privacy Laws. 48 American Business Law Journal 503 (2011).
- Langvardt, A. W., Hill, J., Karam, Y., and Hogan, P. Increasing Complexity and Partisanship in Business Damages Expert Testimony: The Need for a Modified Trial Regime in Quantification of Damages. 11 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law 297 (2009).
- Langvardt, A. W., Hill, J., and Rinehart, J. Bottom-Up or Top-Down? Removing the Privacy Law Obstacles to Healthcare Reform in the National Healthcare Crisis. 84 Indiana Law Journal Supplement 23 (2009).
- Langvardt, A. W. The Beat Should Not Go On: Resisting Early Calls for Further Extensions of Copyright Duration. 112 Penn State Law Review 783 (2008).
- Langvardt, A. W., Hill, J., and Massey, A. Law, Information Technology, and Medical Errors: Toward a National Healthcare Information Network Approach to Improving Patient Care and Reducing Medical Malpractice Costs," 2007 University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy 159 (2007).
- Langvardt, A. W., and Langvardt, K. Unwise or Unconstitutional?: The Copyright Term Extension Act, the Eldred Decision, and the Freezing of the Public Domain for Private Benefit. 5 Minnesota Intellectual Property Review 193 (2004).
- Langvardt, A. W. The Incremental Strengthening of First Amendment Protection for Commercial Speech: Lessons from Greater New Orleans Broadcasting. 37 American Business Law Journal 587 (2000).
- Langvardt, A. W., and Richards, E. The Death of Posadas and the Birth of Change in Commercial Speech Doctrine: Implications of 44 Liquormart. 34 American Business Law Journal 483 (1997).
- Langvardt, A. W. The Troubling Implications of a Right of Publicity “Wheel” Spun Out of Control. 45 Kansas Law Review 329 (1997).
- Langvardt, A. W., and Heil, O. The Interface Between Competitive Market Signaling and Antitrust Law. 58 Journal of Marketing 81 (1994)
- Langvardt, A. W. Section 43(a), Commercial Falsehood, and the First Amendment: A Proposed Framework. 78 Minnesota Law Review 309 (1993).
- Langvardt, A. W. Trademark Rights and First Amendment Wrongs: Protecting the Former Without Committing the Latter. 83 The Trademark Reporter 633 (1993).
- Langvardt, A. W. Protected Marks and Protected Speech: Establishing the First Amendment Boundaries in Trademark Parody Cases. 36 Villanova Law Review 1 (1991). Reprinted Version, in modified form: 82 The Trademark Reporter 671 (1992).
- Langvardt, A. W. A Principled Approach to Compensatory Damages in Corporate Defamation Cases. 27 American Business Law Journal 491 (1990).
- Langvardt, A. W. Free Speech Versus Economic Harm: Accommodating Defamation, Commercial Speech, and Unfair Competition Considerations in the Law of Injurious Falsehood. 62 Temple Law Review 903 (1989).
- Langvardt, A. W. Stopping the End-Run by Public Plaintiffs: Falwell and the Refortification of Defamation Law's Constitutional Aspects. 26 American Business Law Journal 665 (1989).
- Langvardt, A. W. Defamation in the Employment Discharge Context: The Emerging Doctrine of Compelled Self-Publication. 26 Duquesne Law Review 227 (1988).
- Langvardt, A. W. Media Defendants, Public Concerns, and Public Plaintiffs: Toward Fashioning Order From Confusion in Defamation Law. 49 University of Pittsburgh Law Review 91 (1987).
- Langvardt, A. W. Public Concern Revisited: A New Role for an Old Doctrine in the Constitutional Law of Defamation. 21 Valparaiso University Law Review 241 (1987).
- Langvardt, A. W. Not on Our Shelves: A First Amendment Analysis of Library Censorship in the Public Schools. 61 Nebraska Law Review 98 (1982).
- Langvardt, A. W. (1980). Beyond the Schoolhouse Gate: Protecting the Off-Campus First Amendment Freedoms of Students. 59 Nebraska Law Review 790 (1980).
Edited on January 13, 2020