Areas of Expertise
Best practices in the management of innovation and the development of new products and services
- PhD, Purdue University, 1973
- MS, Purdue University, 1969
- BS, Purdue University, 1967
- Indiana University, July 1, 2010 - Professor Emeritus of Marketing
- Consulting Scholar, Cranfield University, England 2011
- Visiting Scholar, Kemmy Business School and Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Limerick, November-December 2010
- Interim Director, Johnson Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, June-December 2004
- Visiting Professor, IGBS Graduate School of Business, Zagreb, November 2004
- Visiting Professor, CEU Graduate School of Business, Budapest, May 2003
- Visiting Professor, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, June and July 1998; May and June 2000
- Visiting Professor, Steinbeis University (Berlin), 1998-2000
- Visiting Professor, City University of Hong Kong, June 13 - 28, 1997
- Indiana University, 1993-2003, John Kosin Faculty Fellow
- Indiana University, 1992-1998, Adjunct Professor of Philanthropic Studies
- Founder and Editor-in-Chief, The Journal of Product Innovation Management, published by Elsevier Science Publishing Company, 1985-1999
- President, Product Development & Management Association, 1981 and operated association’s office as a volunteer from 1985-1996
- Indiana University, 1984-1985, Chairperson of the MBA Program (including both Bloomington and Indianapolis campuses)
- Indiana University, 1982-June 30, 2010, Professor of Marketing
- Indiana University, 1977-1982, Associate Professor of Marketing with Tenure
- York University, Toronto, 1976-1977, Associate Professor with Tenure and Marketing Area Coordinator
- York University, Toronto, 1974-1976, Associate Professor of Marketing
- York University, Toronto, 1972-1974, Assistant Professor of Marketing
- Purdue University, Visiting Assistant Professor, 1971-1972
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Thomas P. Hustad Best Paper Award created by the Journal of Product Innovation Management awarded annually since 1998
- Thomas P. Hustad Best Paper Award for a Young Scholar created by European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management, New Product Development Management Conference, awarded annually since 2011
- Edina (MN) High School Alumni Hall of Fame – 2008 Inductee - other recipients include Vice Chairman of Medtronic, Chairmen of Hewlett-Packard, Northwest Airlines, Yahoo and Chairman Carlsson Companies - award made for career accomplishment
- Nestlé – Hustad Endowed Professorship, Created at the Kelley School of Business, March 1, 2007 by Brad Alford, Chairman and CEO, Nestlé USA in recognition of my contribution to his professional development
- Distinguished Service Award, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, presented by dean, September 17, 1999
- Named Crawford Fellow of the Product Development & Management Association, October 1993
- Appointed John Kosin Faculty Fellow, Indiana University School of Business, May 1993 (for 10 year duration of this position)
- Fulbright Fellowship (unsolicited), 1987, for participation in a British seminar on product design and visitation program Fulbright Fellowship (unsolicited), 1987, for participation in a British seminar on product design and visitation program
- First Place Award in the American Marketing Association's Annual Dissertation Competition, 1973
- 22 awards for MBA, Kelley Direct and MBA/CIP teaching excellence including first recipient of Eli Lilly Teaching Excellence Award
- Named a Best Bet Teacher by Business Week magazine
- Certified New Product Development Professional (NPDP), Product Development & Management Association
- Hustad, T. P., Griffin, A., di Benedetto, A., and Barczak, G. (2013). PDMA History, Publications and Developing a Future Research Agenda. Xlibris.
- Hustad, T. P. (2012). Born to Play: The Ruby Braff Discography and Directory of Performances. Scarecrow Press.
- Hustad, T. P. (1996). Reviewing Current Practices in Innovation Management and a Summary of Selected Best Practices. In The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development, Wiley (Cited in Wall Street Journal, Business Bulletin, November 14, 1996 and also May 1, 1997; cited in Business Week, January 27, 1997; cited in USA Today, February 24, 1997).
- Hustad, T. P. (1991). Marketing's Contribution to Innovation: The Concept of Market-In Design. Design Management Journal, 2(Summer), 54-60.
- Heeler, R. M., and Hustad, T. P. (1980). Problems in Predicting New Product Growth for Consumer Durables. Management Science, 26(October), 1007-1020 (Reported as the 8th most highly cited marketing article in the journal).
- Heeler, R. M., Whipple, T. W., and Hustad, T. P. (1977). Maximum Likelihood Factor Analysis of Attitude Data. Journal of Marketing Research, 14(February), 42-51. Reprinted in Arun K. Jain, Christian Pinson, and Brian T. Ratchford (Eds.) (1982), Marketing Research: Applications and Problems, John Wiley & Sons.
- Hustad, T. P., Mayer, C. S., and Whipple. T. W. (1975). Consideration of Context Differences in Product Evaluation and Segmentation Research. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 3(Winter), 34-47.
- Hustad, T. P., and Pessemier, E. A. (1974). The Development and Application of Psychographics, Life Style and Associated Measures. In William D. Wells (Ed.), Lifestyle and Psychographics (33-70), American Marketing Association.
- Hustad, T. P. (1974). M3A: Multi-Attribute Attitude Analyzer. Journal of Marketing Research, 11(August), 314-315.
- Hustad, T. P., and Pessemier, E. A. (1973). Will the Real Consumer Activist Please Stand Up: An Examination of Consumers' Opinions About Marketing Practices. Journal of Marketing Research, 10(August), 319-324.
- Bruno, A. V., Hustad, T. P., and Pessemier, E. A, (1973). Media Approaches to Segmentation. Journal of Advertising Research, 13(April), 35-42 (Reprinted in David A. Aaker (Ed.) (1975), Advertising Management: Practical Perspectives, Prentice-Hall).
Edited on August 26, 2020