What is marketing?
Marketing encompasses all activities related to the creation, promotion and distribution of goods and services by producers, for consumers. Areas of study include buyer behavior, the development of new products, pricing policies, channels of distribution (including retailing), advertising, professional selling, marketing research and marketing strategy. Marketing requires a combination of analytical, interpersonal, creative and leadership skills.
What are your career possibilities?
Professional sales representatives provide products and services to other businesses. These corporate representatives create value for their business customers by fulfilling needs and helping solve customer problems.
- Assistant buyers help determine which products to order and in what quantities, making decisions based on customers’ wants, new product trends and profitability.
- Planners analyze data and regional differences to determine how much of each product should be sent to each store, ensuring customer demand is met.
- Product Developers help create brand-new products—from the raw materials to the finished goods—based on customer research, market trends and profit goals.
Marketing research analysts collect, analyze, interpret and present data for managerial decisions. In a consulting role, you’ll help managers and clients with new product launches, including pricing decisions, measuring advertising effectiveness, sales forecasting and other brand-related opportunities.
As an account executive, top marketers will rely on you for strategic ideas to reach target consumers with messages and media that match their motivations to pick one brand over another.
Being a brand manager is like running your own business. You make decisions regarding all aspects of the brand, interact with internal and external partners and have bottom-line responsibility for the brand’s performance.
What degrees are offered in marketing at Kelley?
- Bachelor of Science in Business—Marketing Major or Professional Sales Major
- Master of Business Administration, Concentration in Marketing
- Ph.D., Concentration in Marketing
Where can you get more information?
Visit the Department of Marketing.