The following are some common questions that we get from international applicants about the Kelley School's partnership with edX. For more information, please contact or 812-855-7282.


Who is considered an international applicant?

Any student who is not a US citizen or permanent resident is considered international (with the exceptions given below). This means that you will mark yourself as international on the Kelley edX Program Application and the Indiana University Graduate Application. Exceptions: For those with different circumstances such as DACA or asylum seekers, there is an opportunity on the IU Graduate Application to select “other” for citizenship status.

Are English language exams required for admission?

Yes, either the TOEFL or the IELTS is required for admission, although there are instances where a student may be exempt from the requirement. Please see our How to Apply page for more information about English language exam requirements.

Am I eligible for scholarships as an international applicant?

Kelley programs delivered on the edX platform are not eligible for scholarships or funding to applicants.

I have a three-year degree. Will that count?

Our program requires an education equivalent to a four-year US bachelor's degree. You must have the equivalent of a four-year US bachelor’s degree, which will be determined by the Office of International Services (OIS) in a bachelor’s degree equivalency review prior to the application being reviewed by the Kelley edX admissions committee. Please visit OIS equivalent degrees for more information. Students with a three-year degree will need to complete the first year of a postgraduate degree to be eligible for admission.

I have non-US transcripts. Do I need an evaluation from a third-party credential evaluator such as WES in order to apply?

No. For international applicants, external credential evaluations will NOT be accepted as all documentation must be evaluated by the Indiana University Office of International Services (OIS). OIS will evaluate foreign transcripts for international students as part of the application process.

I’m worried that my official documents will take a long time to get from my country to the US. Do I have to wait to apply?

No. The Kelley edX program office will accept scanned copies of your international documents so that we can make a conditional admissions decision more quickly. However, we will require official documentation should you be admitted and accept our offer of admission.

I’m an international student living outside of the US. Do I qualify for a student visa?

Since Kelley programs delivered on the edX platform are online programs, students attending them do not qualify to move to the US on an F-1 visa. 

I’m an international applicant living abroad. Am I expected to attend the live class sessions?

Yes. Classes for the master’s programs are typically held twice a week starting sometime between 6 and 9 p.m. ET and going for 60 to 90 minutes. The classes are recorded, so it is possible to make them up if necessary (although additional work may be required); however, as a general rule, students should expect to attend the live classes regardless of the time zone they live in. Live sessions offer a great opportunity to have class discussions, ask the professor questions, and get to know faculty and fellow classmates.

What does conditional admission mean?

International students can be conditionally admitted based on scanned copies of their official academic records, which allows the school to make an initial admissions decision so students can find out if they are accepted into the program. However, students who start the program are required to submit official records of all previous academic work to the Office of International Services by the fourth week of their first term of coursework. Otherwise a hold will be placed on their account and they will not be able to register for any additional terms. This is because all incoming IU students are required to submit official documentation before they can be fully admitted into the school.

What official documents will I be required to submit?

The Office of International Studies (OIS) will list your required documents in Atlas so you will have an exact record of what needs to be submitted. As a general rule, students will need to submit records from every institution previously attended, which can include transcripts or mark sheets, degree certificates, etc. Original language documents and a line-by-line English language translation will be required if your documents aren’t in English. Incoming students with questions about the document list should email to speak with OIS.

How do I access Atlas?

You will gain access to the Office of International Services (OIS) Atlas system typically a few days after you submit your IU Graduate School Application. OIS will send you an email prompting you to log in, but you can also access Atlas by signing into You should sign into Atlas before your first term starts as there is a checklist you will need to review and complete.

How will I know when IU has received all of the documents required for full admission?

The Office of International Services (OIS) will complete their evaluation of submitted documents within a few weeks of submission to the school. If documents are still missing upon review of those submitted documents, OIS will email the student to confirm what additional documents are required. Any questions about additional documentation should be sent to

I only have one copy of my official documents. Can I get them returned?

Yes, the Office of International Services will return international documents to the Kelley edX office after the documents have been evaluated. The Kelley edX staff can then work with you to return your documents via certified mail (please be aware that this evaluation and return process may take a little time).

I only have one copy of my official documents. I’m uncomfortable mailing them. Do I have other options?

Students can also choose to submit attested copies of their irreplaceable original documents. If you wish to do this, you will need to make photocopies of your original academic records and send them to your home university.

Ask your home university to:

  • Verify that the photocopies are consistent with their records
  • Attest that the copies are true photocopies and stamp them with an official university stamp
  • Put the attested, stamped photocopies in sealed envelopes endorsed by the registrar
  • Mail the sealed, endorsed envelopes directly to the Office of International Services

Attested copies are not considered original documents and will not be returned to students.