- Ph.D., Economics, University of Maryland, College Park, 1999
- B.A., Hamilton College, 1994
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Election to a four-year term as one of two academic representatives on the Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management Policy Council, 2016
- Addington Prize in Measurement (shared with coauthors), Frasier Institute , 2013
- Musgrave Prize (shared with coauthors), National Tax Association, 2012
- Soni, A. [Aparna], Sommers, B., and Sabik, L. (2018). Changes in Insurance Coverage Among Cancer Patients After the Affordable Care Act. JAMA Oncology, 4(1), 122-124.
- Lavetti, K., and Simon, K. (2018). Strategic Formulary Design in Medicare Part D Plans. American Economic Review-Economic Policy, 10(3), 154-192.
- Heim, B., Lurie, I., and Simon, K. (2018). The Impact of the Affordable Care Act Young Adult Provision on Childbearing: Evidence From Tax Data. Demography, 55(4), 1233–1243.
- Simon, K., Soni, A. [Aparna], and Cawley, J. (2017). The Impact of Health Insurance on Preventive Care and Health Behaviors: Evidence from the First Two Years of the ACA Medicaid Expansions. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 36(2), 390-417.
- Soni, A. [Aparna], Simon, K., and Hendryx, M. (2017). Medicaid Expansion under the Affordable Care Act and Insurance Coverage in Rural and Urban Areas. Journal of Rural Health, 33(2), 217-226.
- Sommers, B., and Simon, K. (2017). Health Insurance and Emergency Department Use — A Complex Relationship. New England Journal of Medicine, 376, 1708-1711.
- Abraham, J., Drake, C., Sacks, D., and Simon, K. (2017). Demand for Health Insurance Marketplace Plans Was Highly Elastic in 2014-2015. Economics Letters, 159, 69-73.
- Freedman, S., Nikpay, S., Carroll, A., and Simon, K. (2017). Changes in inpatient payer-mix and hospitalizations following Medicaid expansion: Evidence from all-capture hospital discharge data. PLOSOne, 12(9).
- Akosa Antwi, Y., Moriya, A., and Simon, K. (2015). Access to Health Insurance and the Use of Inpatient Medical Care: Evidence from the Affordable Care Act Young Adult Mandate. Journal of Health Economics, 39, 171-187.
- Akosa Antwi, Y., Moriya, A., Simon, K., and Sommers, B. (2015). Changes in Emergency Department Use among Young Adults after the ACA’s Dependent Coverage Provision. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 65(6), 664–672.
- Dave, D., Decker, S., Kaestner, R., and Simon, K. (2015). The Effect of Medicaid Expansions on the Labor Supply of Pregnant Women. American Journal of Health Economics, 1(2), 165-193.
Edited on October 25, 2018