Areas of Expertise
Market Microstructure, International Finance
- PhD, UCLA, 1990
- MBA, UCLA, 1984
- BA, U.C. Davis, 1977
- Indiana University, 1990 - present
- Home Savings of America, 1984-1985
- First Interstate Bank, 1983
- Best Products Co., Inc., 1980-1982
- Hilti, Inc., 1979-1980
- California State Senator James Nielsen, 1977-1979
Awards, Honors & Certificates
- Fama/DFA Prize, Second Prize for Best Paper in Capital Markets/Asset Pricing published in the Journal of Financial Economics in 2009
- Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Markets, 1997 - Present
- Secretary-Treasurer, Society of Financial Studies, 2012 - Present
- Program Committee, Western Finance Association, 1999 - Present
- Program Committee, European Finance Association, 2013 - Present
- Chair of 22 Dissertation Committees
- Member or Chair of 62 Dissertation Committees
- Member, School Faculty Review Committee, 2014 - 2015
- Member, Campus Tenure Advisory Committee, 2011-2014
- Chair, School Teaching and Service Excellence Committee, 1997-2000, 2016 - 2017
- Chair, Finance Dept. Undergraduate Commitee, 1994-2005, 2010-2012, 2013-2014
- Chair, Finance Dept. Doctoral Committee, 2006-2010
- Chair, Dean's Task Force on Science, Engineering, and Technology, 1995
- Morgan Stanley Equity Market Microstructure Research Grant, 2003
- Two-Year Curriculum Development Grant, NASDAQ Educational Foundation, 2002
- Doctoral Students Association Exceptional Inspiration and Guidance Award, Winner: 1996, Nominee: 2002, 2006
- Doctoral Students Association Distinguished Teaching Award, Nominee: 2004-2006, 2008
- Harry C. Suavain Teaching Award, Nominee: 1996, 1997, 2008
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, 2000
- Innovative Teaching Award for Ph.D. Curriculum Innovation, Winner: 1999, Nominee: 1998
- Innovative Teaching Award for Undergraduate Curriculum Innovation, Nominee: 1998, 2001
- Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Research, Winner: 1994, 1995, 1997
- Peterson Faculty Fellowship for Outstanding Research, Winner: 1994, 1995
- Holden, C. W. (2017). Do Acceptance and Publication Times Differ Across Finance Journals? Review of Corporate Finance Studies, 6(1), 102-126.
- Holden, C. W., and Kim, D. S. (2017). Performance Share Plans: Valuation and Empirical Tests. Journal of Corporate Finance, 44, 99-125.
- Fong, K., Holden, C. W., and Trzcinka, C. A. (2017). What Are The Best Liquidity Proxies For Global Research? Review of Finance, 21(4), 1355-1401.
- Holden, C. W. (2014), Excel Modeling in Investments, Fifth Edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Holden, C. W. (2014), Excel Modeling in Corporate Finance, Fifth Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Holden, C. W., and Jacobsen, S. (2014). Liquidity Measurement Problems in Fast, Competitive Markets: Expensive and Cheap Solutions. Journal of Finance, 69(4), 1747-1785.
- Bhattacharya, U., Holden, C. W., and Jacobsen, S. (2012). Penny Wise, Dollar Foolish: Buy-Sell Imbalances On and Around Round Numbers. Management Science (Special Issue On Behavioral Economics and Finance), 58(2), 413-431.
- Holden, C. W. (2011), Excel Modeling in Corporation Finance (Fourth Edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Holden, C. W. (2011), Excel Modeling in Investments (Fourth Edition), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Holden, C. W. and Lundstrum, L. L. (2009). Costly Trading, Managerial Myopia, and Long-Term Investment. Journal of Empirical Finance, 16(1), 126-135.
- Holden, C. W. (2009). New Low-Frequency Spread Measures. Journal of Financial Markets, 12(4), 778-813.
- Goyenko, R. Y., Holden, C. W., and Trzcinka, C. A. (2009). Do Liquidity Measures Measure Liquidity? Journal of Financial Economics, 92(2), 153-181.
- Holden, C. W. (2008), Excel Modeling and Estimation in Investments (Third Edition), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Holden, C. W., and Stuerke, P. S. (2008). The Frequency of Financial Analysts’ Forecast Revisions: Theory and Evidence about Determinants of Demand for Predisclosure Information. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 35(7-8), 860-888.
- Holden, C. W. (2008), Excel Modeling and Estimation in Corporate Finance (Third Edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
- Ellul, A., Holden, C. W., Jain, P., and Jennings, R. (2007). Order Dynamics: Recent Evidence from the NYSE. Journal of Empirical Finance, 14(5), 636-661.
- Holden, C. W., and Subrahmanyam, A. (2002). News Events, Information Acquisition, and Serial Correlation. Journal of Business, 1, 1-32.
- Battalio, R. and Holden, C. W. (2001). A Simple Model of Payment For Order Flow, Internalization, and Total Trading Costs. Journal of Financial Markets, 4(1), 33-71.
- Bagnoli, M., Viswanathan, S., and Holden, C. W. (2001). On The Existence of Linear Equilibria in Models of Market Making. Mathematical Finance, 11(1), 1-31.
- Holden, C. W., and Subrahmanyam, A. (1996). Risk Aversion, Liquidity, and Endogenous Short Horizons. The Review of Financial Studies, 9(2), 691-722.
- Chakravarty, S., and Holden, C. W. (1995). An Integrated Model Of Market And Limit Orders. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 4(3), 213-241.
- Holden, C. W. (1995). Index Arbitrage As Cross-Sectional Market Making. The Journal of Futures Markets, 15(4), 423-455.
- Holden, C. W., and Subrahmanyam, A. (1994). Risk Aversion, Imperfect Competition, and Long-Lived Private Information. Economics Letters, 44(1-2), 181-190.
- Holden, C. W., and Subrahmanyam, A. (1992). Long-Lived Private Information and Imperfect Competition. The Journal of Finance, 47(1), pp. 247-270.
Edited on June 16, 2020