Daniel C. Smith
dansmith [at] indiana [dot] edu (E-mail)
1500 N. State Road 46 Bypass
- President and CEO, IU Foundation
- Former Dean of the Kelley School of Business
- Professor of Marketing
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Pittsburgh
- Budapest, Hungary, Taught one-week seminar series on the use of cases
- Warsaw, Poland, Taught marketing strategy to senior managers through the Ministry of Privatization
- Samsung Consumer Electronics, Taught marketing strategy planning to senior managers
- Ashland Chemical Company in Amsterdam, Marketing Strategy project
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Eli Lilly Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Board of Trustees Distinguished Teaching Award, 2001, 2003
- Outstanding Reviewer Award at the Journal of Marketing, 1999
- Teaching Innovation Award, 1998
- Business Week Four-Star Rated Teacher
- Serve on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Market-Focused Management, and the Journal of Competitive Intelligence
Food and wine, Fly fishing for trout
- Marketing Planning Process Re-design, IBM
- Marketing Strategy and Customer Profitability Analysis, 3M
- Strategy Development and Brand Equity Management, Samsung Corporation
Rusetski, Alexander, Jonlee Andrews and Daniel C. Smith (2014), “Unjustified Prices: Environmental Drivers of Managers' Propensity to Overprice,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Volume 42, Issue 4 (July), pp 452-469.
DelVecchio, Devon, Shanker Krishnan, and Daniel C. Smith (2007), “Cents or Percent? The Effects of Promotion Framing on Price Expectations and Choice,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 3, July, pp. 158-170.
Smith, Daniel C. (2003), “The Importance and Challenges of Being Interesting,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Summer, pp. 319-323.
Sethi, Rajesh, Daniel C. Smith, and C. Whan Park, (2002), “Creating Creative New Product Development Teams,” Harvard Business Review, August, pp. 16-18.
Klink, Richard and Daniel C. Smith (2001), “Threats to the External Validity of Brand Extension Research,” Journal of Marketing Research, August, pp. 326-335.
Sethi, Rajesh, Daniel C. Smith, and C. Whan Park (2001), “The Effect of Cross-Functional Teams on Creativity and the Innovativeness of New Products,” Journal of Marketing Research, February, pp. 73-85.